Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Ink Business Cards - July 2015- Present

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BuBu4
Please read this Wiki before posting questions in the thread.

What's the difference between the Ink Bold & Ink Plus cards?
Ink Bold is no longer available. It was a charge card (pay balance in full each month), but it has been discontinued and many accounts were converted to Ink Plus cards with the same account numbers.

Ink Plus is a revolving credit card. It allows you to earn and redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards points (including transfering UR points to air/hotel/rail partners).
What are the best current Ink Plus offers?

The Ink Plus card is no longer available for new applicants. There is a separate thread for The Ink Business Preferred card.

Links for non-targeted Ink Plus 60K offer ($5,000 spend/3 months; annual $95 fee not waived)
There is a report of a 70k offer for the Chase Ink Plus available only through your local Chase Bank office, extended to August 20, 2016. If you recently accepted the 60K offer, you may be able to get the extra 10K simply by asking for it.

There is a no-fee, UR-earning Ink Cash card: https://creditcards.chase.com/ink-bu.../ink-cash-card
Are there are any rules or restrictions to keep in mind when applying for an Ink card?
What is the "5/24" policy?
Are targeted offers exempt from the 5/24 policy?
If my application isn't approved instantly, should I call in?
How can I determine the deadline for meeting the spend requirement to earn the signup bonus?
Once I meet the card's spend requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
After being denied, how long should I wait before applying again for the same card?
How long should I wait after closing my card before applying again for the same card?

See the wiki & current discussion at Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
Are there special earning categories?
Yes. You earn 5 points per dollar on the first $50,000 spent annually at office supply stores, and on cellular phone, landline, internet, and cable TV services. (Sirius XM Radio also qualifies.)

In addition, you earn 2 points per dollar on the first $50,000 spent annually at gas stations and for hotel accommodations when purchased directly from the hotel.

NOT ALL Ink cards earn the 5x and 2x bonus categories above. Not "Old Ink Bold" that earns 7,500 bonus points for $25,000 spend, 15,000 points for $50,000, and 25,000 points for $100,000 spend.
What merchants qualify for 5 points/dollar spent?
Merchants that qualify:
AnswerConnect (Ref)
AT&T monthly bills @ website (Direct entry) (Ref, Ref, Ref)
Boost Mobile (Ref)
Cablevision (Ref)
CallingMart.com (Direct entry)
CardCash.com (PayPal) (Ref, Ref)
CashStar/Staples @ staples.cashstar.com (Ref)
Charter Spectrum/Time Warner Cable monthly bills (Ref, Ref)
Comcast (Ref)
Cox Internet subscription (Ref)
Cricket Wireless (Ref)
Digital River MyCommerce/vorpX (PayPal) (Ref)
DirecTV (Ref, Ref)
Dish Network (Ref, Ref)
Dropbox (Ref)
eBay/PayPal Digital Gifts (PayPal) (Mastercards only) (Ref)
GiftCard Mart (PayPal) (Ref)
GoDaddy.com (Ref, Ref)
Google Fiber (Ref)
Gyft.com (PayPal) (Ref)
Half.com (PayPal) (Ref)
Hetzner.de (PayPal) (Ref)
HTC Vive @ store.us.HTCVive.com (Direct entry) (Ref, Ref)
Hulu (Ref, Ref, Ref)
INIZ (PayPal) (Ref)
LivingSocial.com (PayPal) (Ref)
MileagePlus X/OfficeMax @ app (YMMV ref, Ref)
MileagePlus X/Staples @ app (YMMV ref, Ref)
Netflix (Ref, Ref, Ref, Ref)
Nvidia GeForce Now (Ref)
Office Depot @ B&M, officedepot.com (Direct entry) (Ref)
OfficeMax @ B&M, officedepot.com (Direct entry) (Ref)
OneDrive (Ref)
Republic Wireless (Ref)
RingCentral (Ref)
Sirius XM (Ref, Ref, Ref)
Sling TV @ sling.com (Ref, Ref, Ref, Ref)
Spotify.com (Ref, Ref, Ref, Ref, Ref)
Sprint (Ref)
Staples @ B&M, staples.com (Direct entry) (Ref)
TiVo monthly bills (Ref, Ref)
T-Mobile monthly bills (Ref, Ref, Ref)
UPrinting.com (Ref)
Verizon (Ref)
Verizon Wireless (Ref)
Virgin Mobile (Ref)
VirginMobileUSA.com (Direct entry, PayPal) (Ref)
Vudu.com (Ref, Ref)
Merchants that DO NOT qualify:
Adobe Acrobat DC (Ref)
Amazon Prime music and video (Ref)
Apple iTunes/Apple Music subscription
AT&T phone and equipment orders (Ref, YMMV ref)
CardCash.com (Direct entry) (Ref)
CashStar/Office Depot @ officedepot.cashstar.com (Ref)
CashStar/Panera Bread @ panerabread.cashstar.com (Ref)
Charges at Cricket Wireless Store
eBay/GiftCardMall (PayPal)
eBay/SVM Gift Cards (PayPal)
eGifter.com (Ref)
Giftcard Zen (Direct entry) (Ref)
Google Cloud Platform @ cloud.google.com (Ref)
Google Drive (Ref)
Google Project Fi @ fi.google.com (Ref, Ref, Ref)
Gyft.com (Direct entry)
H2O Wireless (Ref)
Newegg.com (PayPal) (Ref)
Oculus.com (Ref)
OfficeMax in-store pickup @ officedepot.com (Ref)
eBay/PayPal Digital Gifts (PayPal) Visa Cards Only (Ref)
Plastiq telecom (Ref)
Playstation Vue (Ref)
RingPlus.net (Direct entry)
Seashells @ shopseashells.com (Ref)
SWYCH app (using INK and Paypal) (Ref)
T-Mobile.com phone and equipment orders (Ref, Ref, Ref)
Todoist.com (Ref)
Venmo (Direct entry) (Ref, Ref)
Walmart.com (PayPal) (Ref)
Where can I find the Ink Plus Guide to Benefits?
What are the rules for transferring UR points to other users or to my own air/hotel/rail accounts?
Closing Ink Plus cards
It is possible to pay the annual fee for the Chase Ink Plus business card, then close the account and get a refund of the fee up to 6 months after it was charged. This provides a total of 18 months of earning up to 5X points for free. Make sure your points are transferred out (either to another UR account owned by you or a spouse, or to an air/hotel partner) before you close the account.
Previous Discussion Threads:
Print Wikipost

Chase Ink Business Cards - July 2015- Present

Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:14 am

I was just wanting to make sure that since nearly most of the spend is going to be in the bonus category, they dont shut out my account.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:05 am

I wouldn't worry about it. As far as applying for business cards go with a legit business, you're probably on the more legit side of those here that apply for business cards for their 'businesses'. Try to associate yourself to their business moreso than you did in your first post though. It's a family business, and you're an integral part of it's finances as far as Chase is concerned.

I would worry a little if a huge percentage of purchases are only bonus categories though, especially the 5x one. There's many reports of Chase shutting down accounts with exclusively 5x, though most come from people MSing thousands more than you'll be charging a month. To be safe, try to diversify your spend with the card here and there. UR points can be pretty powerful anyway, so it's not like its a big loss using it on a non bonus category.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio
I wouldn't worry about it. As far as applying for business cards go with a legit business, you're probably on the more legit side of those here that apply for business cards for their 'businesses'. Try to associate yourself to their business moreso than you did in your first post though. It's a family business, and you're an integral part of it's finances as far as Chase is concerned.

I would worry a little if a huge percentage of purchases are only bonus categories though, especially the 5x one. There's many reports of Chase shutting down accounts with exclusively 5x, though most come from people MSing thousands more than you'll be charging a month. To be safe, try to diversify your spend with the card here and there. UR points can be pretty powerful anyway, so it's not like its a big loss using it on a non bonus category.
Kinda disappointed at myself for not reading carefully enough about the 5x categories. main spend was gonna be power/gas utilities which isnt in the bonus category
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've gotten biz cards from Amex and Chase. Amex has never asked any meaningful questions about my business. When I got my Chase Ink Bold they asked how long I had been in business, what my profit was last year, average spend, a bunch of questions. I have a legit business with low 5-figure revenue, so I wasn't worried. But it wasn't like Amex where they will accept almost any vague answer.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:40 pm

How hard?

So, I'm just curious, how hard are you all hitting ink each month with staples or office max/depot? How hard are you hitting the 5x spending category each month?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
I was just wanting to make sure that since nearly most of the spend is going to be in the bonus category, they dont shut out my account.
Almost all of my ink card spend is in bonus categories and I do not have a problem. I'm not pumping tens of thousands through the card in cat spend though and all my spend is legitimate business spend. I don't MS with this card because I value it too much to even take a minor risk with it. I would just spend on what you need to for your business and not worry about it.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:25 pm
rev

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Yes, I recognize my questions is purely speculation but I noticed that there were increased offers last September through January and again in May. What are the chances that another increased offer comes around again this fall?

I'd really like to get the Ink Plus but I'd hate to settle for the 50k if the 60k or 70k offer comes around again. Has there been any sort of trend in the past related to when the offer is increased?
I think 70k was a one off thing that probably shouldn't be assumed will come back, though it'd be amazing if it did. 60k rolls around from time to time but keep in mind when it does they may also not waive the annual fee the first year, so you're essentially paying $95 for 10k UR points. Still not a bad deal, but something to keep in mind.

Chase is also very liberal about giving you the difference in bonus points if the offer does increase, so if you signed up now and it went up to 60k in the next month or two, a quick SM will likely result in them giving you the 10k in addition to your bonus.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Yes, I recognize my questions is purely speculation but I noticed that there were increased offers last September through January and again in May. What are the chances that another increased offer comes around again this fall?

I'd really like to get the Ink Plus but I'd hate to settle for the 50k if the 60k or 70k offer comes around again. Has there been any sort of trend in the past related to when the offer is increased?
No way of knowing but maybe they will do something during small business week next may?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:36 pm

so quick question.

I use my credit cards to pay utilities for my parents store since I like rewards and have a higher credit line, but the business is theirs (gas station).

How would I go about opening an Ink card in terms of business category, type, subtype on the application?

I can be put on their payroll if needed.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:52 am

Have anyone ever tried to upgrade the Ink cash to Ink plus?

My case is that I've got freedom and ink cash and a lot of UR points, but due to chase's stupid 5-card-limit policy there's no hope for me to get CSP in the short term. I need to transfer some of the UR points to mileage, so the only option seems to be upgrading one of the existing credit cards to a higher tier. It seems Ink plus just offer the same function as CSP in terms of UR points transfer. So I'm wondering if there is anyone having a clue about upgrading Ink cash to Ink plus.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:25 am

I asked this earlier, but that thread was closed.

My "soft limit" on my IB card was 18k, and last busy season I used all of that for my business. Now that they're changing to a revolving line they only gave me a 12k line. Can they pull credit from personal cards and move it to my IB card?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I asked this earlier, but that thread was closed.

My "soft limit" on my IB card was 18k, and last busy season I used all of that for my business. Now that they're changing to a revolving line they only gave me a 12k line. Can they pull credit from personal cards and move it to my IB card?
I do not know if they will do so at your request. What I can tell you is when I applied for the ink bold card initially they opened it after I agreed to let them take 5k of my personal credit and move it over to the business card. In that situation they were the ones who initiated the request not me and I just had to approve it. YMMV.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:50 pm

Has anyone who currently holds the bold card been able to get the ink plus, since the announced changes?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have had a Bold since 2012. After the Vanilla reloads dried up my spend has been mostly auto payments for phone, cable with occasional gas.

I'd like to do more office store purchases for ms. Went to an Office Depot today to find out they no longer sell variable rate Visa gift cards up to $500.

Would anyone share a plan for me to get $5K in gift card spend on this card in shortest amount of time possible?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Would anyone share a plan for me to get $5K in gift card spend on this card in shortest amount of time possible?
Many Staples locations have a good array of gift cards that have minimal or no fees -- Kohl's, Southwest, iTunes, and the like. Amazon GCs are especially useful because they're almost cash-like (fee-free, and you can get anything on Amazon). You can also order VGCs from the Staples website and MS with Redbird/Bluebird/Serve to pay rent or mortgage. Good luck!

---

Any reports lately of getting UR mall credit for VGC purchases through office supply stores (e.g., the extra 2x for Staples)? I've heard sometimes it credits and sometimes it doesn't -- any rhyme or reason?

Last edited by philemer; Aug 21, 2015 at 11:19 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.