Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Hacked Again?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, HH Gold
My CSP was hacked last week. I suspected that something was up, since 5 of my coworkers had their cards compromised too. Mix of personal and business cards, all via Chase. I thought it was the shady sports bar we all went to...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:28 am

My IHG was compromized today.
I was notified via FA e-mail about a ~$85 charge in CA, even though I am in another country now.
I rarely use this card now - the last and only time I used this card was before they switched it to a Mastercard.
Will be receiving a replacement card sometime soon, depending on how fast UPS can deliver over the Pacific.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:59 am

Should I just close my chase CC's and bank accounts since this seems to be happening fairly often compared to other credit unions?
I mostly use my Amex for major purchases and only once in a blue do I use any other cards. This hasnt happened to me and I hope it doesnt, but to be on the safe side, I am a bit weary now of staying with Chase for any banking needs... what do you guys think? I wouldnt want my checking or savings accounts to get hacked either....
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would cancel them if you're not using.

You're still safe, but why hang on to cards you don't use?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I would cancel them if you're not using.

Agreed, but I do use them sometimes, not for anything major, but mostly had them open for the offers within the first 3 months.

I dont fill up with them, only amex at gas stations
tjmax and other small purchases of under 150 go on those cards sometimes depending on billing cycle.
some amazon crap goes on there, but thats about it, so i do have a use for them, just not that often.

but any way for anyone to hack my checking/savings account?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:17 am

No. They're cloning cards, not getting into your bank accounts.

Did you even read the thread?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:16 pm
RNE

Because they can help with one's available credit and age of credit.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:19 pm

IMHO, anyone playing the MS game really doesn't care about available credit or its age. They care about the next free vacation.

Again, it's just my opinion. Others may differ, probably you included.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:22 pm
RNE

IMHO, anyone playing the MS game really doesn't care about available credit or its age. They care about the next free vacation.
You asked why. I furnished a why.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm on CSP #4 in one year.

It's a real pain to keep changing everything up. I'm going to stop using Chase and go back to my Amex if it gets popped again.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: HH Silver
Ugh. Compromised again. This time it was Walmart.com. I got an email from them saying I had changed my email address, and they send the message to the old email. I checked all my credit cards, and sure enough, my Ink card had a $555 pending Wal-Mart charge.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
In this case, your card was probably saved on walmart.com. Best advice is don't save any payment methods. Manually enter payment each time, it's worth the extra time and effort for the security. The email you got is because someone hacked into your walmart.com account. They will only do what they did if there is a saved payment method. I learned the hard way.

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Ugh. Compromised again. This time it was Walmart.com. I got an email from them saying I had changed my email address, and they send the message to the old email. I checked all my credit cards, and sure enough, my Ink card had a $555 pending Wal-Mart charge.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Again, it's just my opinion. Others may differ, probably you included.
Well MS and free vacations are not always the same. If you just go for sign on bonuses you don't need MS.
Available credit and age of account are important for the credit score so some accounts need to be old.
Another reason to keep them open are the yearly bonuses ( free night etc.) which can be worth more than the yearly fee.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I'm on CSP #4 in one year.

It's a real pain to keep changing everything up. I'm going to stop using Chase and go back to my Amex if it gets popped again.
Originally Posted by tatterdema
If you smell s*** every where you go, check your upper lip.

Evaluate the vendors you deal with, how you store your passwords, check for malware on your computer, don't use easy to guess passwords, etc. The latter case sounds a lot like someone guessed/discovered a walmart.com password and went to town.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
My Ritz card was compromised couple weeks ago when someone tried to put a couple small charges thru a Square Reader in California. What was funny was that the fraudulent charges showed up the day after I bought 3 $100 AA gift cards and the CSR kept asking me if I made those charges. Told her they were gift cards and few days later I sent an SM to get the airline credit without any problem

Chase was great and overnighted a new card but I hope this doesn't become a pattern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.