Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring UR points to AA?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Transferring UR points to AA?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and also new to rewards credit cards. I've had the CSP for a few months now and have accrued about 60K points. Since I'm planning a trip to Hawaii later this year, I'd like to utilize those points to help pay for airfare (2 ppl).

United's awards schedule allows for one round trip at about 45k points, while I see that American is 35k...obviously, AA is the better deal. Does CSP transfer to AA 1:1 like UA? If so, how can I do this?

If anyone can share a step-by-step for this newbie here, I'd appreciate it! (I'm guessing transferring my points to British Airways first...and then what?)

On a sidenote...how is it that AA's flight can "cost" significantly less points than UA? Just curious.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:28 pm

You cannot transfer UR to AA. However, if AA has "saver" award space available, you can book that through BA. But beware that BA's redemption rates are different than AA's, and each segment prices separately. So if you have to make a connection, you're probably better off just using United.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"how is it that AA's flight can "cost" significantly less points than UA?"

Different programs have different redemption rates. AA has both a peak and an off-peak season for travel between Hawaii and the rest of AA's North America region.

If you want a real shocker, there are times of the year that AA charges fewer miles for a one-way from Hawaii to Central America or South America than it does from Hawaii to the Mainland U.S., even though the trip to Central or South America will require a connection on the Mainland.

Another example: for a SAAver Coach one-way on an AA or AS nonstop from the West Coast to Hawaii, AA will charge either 17,500 or 22,500 miles, depending on season. By contrast, BA will charge just 12,500 Avios for the very same seat.

Welcome to FT!
Old May 23, 2015, 4:13 pm

Before anything else, check award availability in the different programs. You may also consider using the UR points for the hotel stay. Thirdly, you may be able to exchange your UR points with someone privately, there is a 'Coupon Connection' forum that you'll have access after 8 or 10 posts here on ft.

The United cc bonus is now 50K.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think that Korean Airlines (which is a UR transfer partner) offers a Coach roundtrip on Delta between the Mainland and Hawaii for only 25,000 miles, even if connections are needed. The tough part, however, is finding lowest-tier award seats on Delta; those are the only seats for which Korean miles can be redeemed.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

I think that Korean Airlines (which is a UR transfer partner) offers a Coach roundtrip on Delta between the Mainland and Hawaii for only 25,000 miles, even if connections are needed. The tough part, however, is finding lowest-tier award seats on Delta; those are the only seats for which Korean miles can be redeemed.
I've tried looking around Delta and it seems impossible! Since I'm new to points and it's highly likely I'll somehow screw up the BA/AA transfer, I might just stick with United.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
Before anything else, check award availability in the different programs. You may also consider using the UR points for the hotel stay. Thirdly, you may be able to exchange your UR points with someone privately, there is a 'Coupon Connection' forum that you'll have access after 8 or 10 posts here on ft.

The United cc bonus is now 50K.
I have thought of opening a United CC solely for this trip, but am concerned on how it'll affect my score or relationship with Chase if I cancel the United after my trip...also, I opened my CSP in February and then the Freedom a month and a half after...isn't that too many cards in a short period especially if I open the United? Thoughts? I always pay my credit card in full, and actually usually pay on a near daily basis
Old May 23, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csj50

I've tried looking around Delta and it seems impossible! Since I'm new to points and it's highly likely I'll somehow screw up the BA/AA transfer, I might just stick with United.
What was the lowest-tier award seats you found on delta.com? I think DL's lowest award tier between the Mainland and Hawaii costs 40,000 DL miles, but you might want to double-check that.

You can't screw up a BA/AA transfer because no such transfer option exists. You can redeem BA Avios for SAAver seats on AA. That's very different than transferring miles.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I have thought of opening a United CC solely for this trip, but am concerned on how it'll affect my score or relationship with Chase if I cancel the United after my trip...also, I opened my CSP in February and then the Freedom a month and a half after...isn't that too many cards in a short period especially if I open the United?"

I have five different Chase cards currently open. No guarantees, but I suspect that if you waited 3 months from the date you applied for your last card, you'd be OK, assuming that you are credit-worthy. And you would not need to cancel your Chase/UA card until it was time for the annual fee to post.

But why even worry about applying for a Chase/UA card now? Apply for a Citi/AA card instead. You can use AA miles in one direction, and UA miles in the other.

How soon are you hoping to travel to Hawaii, and from where?
Old May 23, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

What was the lowest-tier award seats you found on delta.com? I think DL's lowest award tier between the Mainland and Hawaii costs 40,000 DL miles, but you might want to double-check that.

You can't screw up a BA/AA transfer because no such transfer option exists. You can redeem BA Avios for SAAver seats on AA. That's very different than transferring miles.
I can't remember what I found on Delta...

Regarding the BA Avios, I just assumed that once I transferred my UR points to British Airways (that IS Avios, correct?), that those points could be then transferred to AA. I am even more confused as to how the BA Avios/SAAver seats and miles work...is it even worth trying?
Old May 23, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

"I have thought of opening a United CC solely for this trip, but am concerned on how it'll affect my score or relationship with Chase if I cancel the United after my trip...also, I opened my CSP in February and then the Freedom a month and a half after...isn't that too many cards in a short period especially if I open the United?"

I have five different Chase cards currently open. No guarantees, but I suspect that if you waited 3 months from the date you applied for your last card, you'd be OK, assuming that you are credit-worthy. And you would not need to cancel your Chase/UA card until it was time for the annual fee to post.

But why even worry about applying for a Chase/UA card now? Apply for a Citi/AA card instead. You can use AA miles in one direction, and UA miles in the other.

How soon are you hoping to travel to Hawaii, and from where?
Good idea about the Citi/AA card! Will this affect my score if I applied for it sometime soon? CS is around 780 across all the major bureaus, and I'd like not to ruin it

We were hoping to go to Hawaii in late September/early October; flying from D.C.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by csj50
I can't remember what I found on Delta...

Regarding the BA Avios, I just assumed that once I transferred my UR points to British Airways (that IS Avios, correct?), that those points could be then transferred to AA. I am even more confused as to how the BA Avios/SAAver seats and miles work...is it even worth trying?
The bolded part is wrong. You redeem Avios points for AA flight, not transfer. The miles requirement would be different than AA award chart. Avios is distance based award so it depends how far your home airport to hawaii.

Edit: Quick check on BA, it cost 22.5k +$5 one way for this trip WAS-PHX-HNL on econ. You need to make sure there is award availability first before transferring.

Last edited by guear; May 24, 2015 at 6:55 am
Old May 24, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Good idea about the Citi/AA card! Will this affect my score if I applied for it sometime soon?"

Every application for credit lowers your FICO score -- at least by a few points. But typically, you will recover those points in a matter of months, as long as your level of spending remains relatively constant, and you make your payments on time. The reason for this is that one part of your FICO score is your percentage of credit utilization. Assuming that your spending level remains relatively constant, once you get a new card, your available credit goes up, so your percentage utilization goes down -- which is a good thing, as far as FICO is concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.