PayPal Digital Gifts & Chase Ink 5x?

Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Montacute
Can anyone confirm that paypal digital purchases are still earning 5x with the Ink now?
yes.

but after Oct. 13, you can't buy other vendor gift cards (gas, sears, etc) with ebay gift cards.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:59 am

I heard you get 5% on your rewards, but the gift cards have $0 in value.

Seems PayPal is managing to keep the dirty secret out of the news. Digital Gift cards have been drained and it's pretty difficult to get them replaced/refunded, especially if you are out of the chargeback period.

If you go this route, make sure you can drain the gift cards quickly.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by gatzdon

Seems PayPal is managing to keep the dirty secret out of the news. Digital Gift cards have been drained and it's pretty difficult to get them replaced/refunded, especially if you are out of the chargeback period.

What do you mean they have $0 in value? Are we talking about Ebay GC purchased from PPDG or other/store GCs purchased from Ebay.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by gatzdon

Are you kidding me? You think paypal is stopping people from talking about them receiving cards with no balance on them? Please, feel free to posts some links talking about this.

I've bought thousands of dollars of GCs from paypal digital gifts and have never had an issue. 3rd party cards in the other hand...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:52 pm

See this recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ift-cards.html
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Need to make the distinction between:
  1. Gift cards purchased at face value directly through PayPal Digital Gifts
  2. PayPal Digital Gifts cards purchased at a discount through eBay

The former should be perfectly legit and in full value. If there's any issue with the latter, it's caveat emptor. There's a reason that buying second hand on eBay is a dicey proposition, especially for anything digital.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree

The former should be perfectly legit and in full value. If there's any issue with the latter, it's caveat emptor. There's a reason that buying second hand on eBay is a dicey proposition, especially for anything digital.
But isn't PPDG the seller in both scenarios?

Anyways, discussion for a different thread.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree

The problem is people are reporting the gift cards they bought directly from PPDG and those they bought directly from PPDG on EBAY are being zeroed out. It seems that paypal made some mistakes about the way they were keeping these cards secure.

It's easy if you just didn't use the GC, but what if you sold to a resell site like GCZ, ABC, cardcash, cardpool, saveya, etc.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Maximizing FF miles on large purchase

Hi Everyone,

My business has to make 11 payments of $6,000 each this week ($66,000 total). Normally I just use my American Express Business Platinum (since it doesn't have a limit) and send the payments via Paypal. This earns me 66,000 points. However, I also have a Chase Business Ink Card and, having read about 5x points/$ on office store purchases and online shopping portals, I'm wondering if there might be a more clever way to do this involving gift cards. The only catch here is the payments to the 11 recipients must be sent in full in one payment (I can't do 12 payments of $500 per recipient, for instance). However, I could transfer smaller amounts to a colleague and then have them issue the payments. Is there a way to earn more points you see that you might recommend?

Cheers,
AM13
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
How would you report this on your books?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by am13
Hi Everyone,

My business has to make 11 payments of $6,000 each this week ($66,000 total). Normally I just use my American Express Business Platinum (since it doesn't have a limit) and send the payments via Paypal. This earns me 66,000 points.
AM13
Amex Business Platinum now gives 1.5 points on purchases $5000+, you would realize 99,000 MR points, 33,000 more than previously.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this still the case where Chase Ink is awarding 5x? I am planning to try it, but it might take awhile to show up so was just wondering if anyone had a more recent data point to share. If not, I will.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this still the case where Chase Ink is awarding 5x? I am planning to try it, but it might take awhile to show up so was just wondering if anyone had a more recent data point to share. If not, I will.
Worked for me as of 5/22.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:24 am

Worked for me last week.

Now only if I stop getting the "Sorry, we can’t complete your purchase at this time
Please return to the merchant and choose another way to pay" message.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this still the case where Chase Ink is awarding 5x?
5x categories are still 5x, why do think otherwise? I have not seen any merchant who was 5x no longer being 5x.

And you're talking about Ink Bold, Cash and Plus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.