Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:51 am

Question about Chase Sapphire Eligibility

Hi All,
Quick question. When I rented a car, I paid with my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, and I tried to decline all coverage from the rental car company (CDW, LDW etc...), but was instead put on LLDW. Long story short, I got into an accident, and need the extra coverage from Chase Sapphire. So I'm wondering whether I can argue that I didn't want the LLDW, and decline it after-the-fact?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I'm going to move this to our Chase credit card forum. I believe there are similar threads there already that might be helpful to you.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Anon4512
Hi All,
Quick question. When I rented a car, I paid with my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, and I tried to decline all coverage from the rental car company (CDW, LDW etc...), but was instead put on LLDW. Long story short, I got into an accident, and need the extra coverage from Chase Sapphire. So I'm wondering whether I can argue that I didn't want the LLDW, and decline it after-the-fact?
What is LLDW, and did you have the option to decline it? Where did the rental occur?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
What is LLDW...
Here is the Hertz definition:

Limited Loss Damage Waiver (LLDW)

Limited Loss Damage Waiver (LLDW) is offered at select locations. When you purchase LLDW, which is not insurance, you will not be held responsible for loss or damage to the Hertz car up to a maximum waiver of $1,000, provided the loss or damage was not a result of any prohibited use of the car. You will be responsible for all damages in excess of $1,000.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Sapphire Reserve benefits booklet is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

It's vague, they really want you to contact them for specifics:
I called last year on the United business card and was told it would cover the "excess" in countries where mandatory CDW are required BY LAW. The key is BY LAW.

You would not be able to opt out the basic coverage when renting in South Africa for example. The box is greyed out.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anon4512
Hi All,
Which country this rental is made?

Is the LLDW required by law or just a gimmick Hertz to make unsuspected renters to purchase?

Last edited by Happy; Jul 30, 2017 at 3:48 pm
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
CDW Claim Experience

So I rented car from Sixt in Switzerland. Unfortunately I managed to dent a door and brake off the mirror in the hotel garage. It was my stupidity and no one else was involved. I had to switch cars for the reminder of my trip / rental period in nearest location.
After I came back I called Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits administrator. (just call the number on your card they will transfer you). They took down some basic info and sent me an email with instructions. You can mail stuff in, or email it, or file the whole claim online. I went for option three. Over a period of about two weeks I collected all the paperwork they requested from Sixt and uploaded the documents the the claim website.
In the meantime, Sixt charged my credit card for the damage for ~$4300.
About 5 days after I uploaded all the documents the benefit administrator responded via email and asked me for proof of payment for the damage, also stating that if I did not pay for it yet, the will. I supplied printout of the credit card activity from chase with the said charge and three days later, when I checked online it said the check is in the mail.
The check I received was $125 dollars less than what Sixt charged me. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe different currency conversion??? I have no clue, might call them and ask, but I'm pretty happy I got the check. Plus extra ~13000 or so points from Chase, since the charge is for 'car rental'
One piece of advice is to save, or make copy / take a photo of every little piece of paper that is in any way related to your rental and the damage. I had to request some missing paperwork from Sixt. They responded quickly, being Swiss and all, but I can imagine that you might have a hard time getting paperwork from some other countries.
Overall positive and quick experience with CDW insurance on the card. This benefit saved me a lot of money over the years and now that I experienced it first hand it's an additional piece of mind.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Chase Auto insurance using Hertz points

Quick question for the experts. If i rent a car using Hertz rewards point and use my Sapphire Reserve to pay taxes & airport fees of roughly $50, do I qualify for the primary auto insurance?

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicago747
Quick question for the experts. If i rent a car using Hertz rewards point and use my Sapphire Reserve to pay taxes & airport fees of roughly $50, do I qualify for the primary auto insurance?

Thanks
Without reading the fine print my guess is NO. Seems only UR pt being the only award currency would still enjoy coverage. Otherwise there is no coverage, let alone primary.

If this is important to you of course for you to know for sure in your situation you would have to read the fine print yourself AND call Chase to find out. (Chase regular rep would direct you to call the 3rd party insurance provider.)

Hint - wiki has the link to Chase website where you can read the details of benefits including the rental car coverage...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:12 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Happy
Without reading the fine print my guess is NO. Seems only UR pt being the only award currency would still enjoy coverage. Otherwise there is no coverage, let alone primary.

If this is important to you of course for you to know for sure in your situation you would have to read the fine print yourself AND call Chase to find out. (Chase regular rep would direct you to call the 3rd party insurance provider.)

Hint - wiki has the link to Chase website where you can read the details of benefits including the rental car coverage...
Thanks for the reply and you are indeed correct...only Chase points are covered. The Hertz CDW is $31.99 a day which is more than I remember. I sold my car a few months ago and affordably protecting myself for a week's rental is proving a tougher challenge than i thought
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicago747
Thanks for the reply and you are indeed correct...only Chase points are covered. The Hertz CDW is $31.99 a day which is more than I remember. I sold my car a few months ago and affordably protecting myself for a week's rental is proving a tougher challenge than i thought
What are you planning to do about third-party liability insurance? Do you have a non-owned-auto liability-insurance policy?

For LDW coverage, have you considered getting a no-annual-fee Amex card, and then enrolling in Amex's Premium Car Rental Insurance program? For $24.95 or less per rental (not per day), you'll get loss/damage coverage on the rental car. A few things are not covered, but it might be a good option in your situation.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you planning to do about third-party liability insurance? Do you have a non-owned-auto liability-insurance policy?

For LDW coverage, have you considered getting a no-annual-fee Amex card, and then enrolling in Amex's Premium Car Rental Insurance program? For $24.95 or less per rental (not per day), you'll get loss/damage coverage on the rental car. A few things are not covered, but it might be a good option in your situation.
Isn't the rental car rate includes the BASIC 3rd party liability coverage already?

I agree on AMEX coverage, EXCEPT, IIRC AMEX only requires you pay at least one day of rental with AMEX card (not just the taxes and fee), OP here wants to use Hertz points for the whole rental rate - the AMEX insurance may not help in the OP situation at all if the rental cost before taxes and fee are entirely paid with Hertz award points.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Isn't the rental car rate includes the BASIC 3rd party liability coverage already?
Depends on the state...in most states, yes; but in a few like California and Texas it's not. You have to have your own insurance, or buy it from the rental company.

https://www.avis.com/en/customer-ser...ions-coverages

I rented a car in California for two weeks when I didn't own a car / didn't have car insurance...turned out to be way cheaper for me to sign up for a non-owner auto policy from a normal insurance company, and then cancel after two weeks, rather than opt for the daily charge from the rental company.

Additionally, in the states where it is included, the state-mandated minimums may be much smaller than you'd be comfortable with.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:35 pm

Smile

I was thinking of getting a non-owners policy for liability. I recently moved all my insurance to USAA and they quoted me $135/ 6 months.

I called Amex (have a Platinum card) and was told that paying anything towards the rental, including airport fees and taxes, will trigger the Premium coverage. The agent, who seemed extremely informative and confident in her answers, sent me the documentation....just haven't had time to go over it.

This is for a trip to Disney we're taking the sister-in-law + kids on so might just towncar to/from airport. At this point The Mouse has his hands firmly in my wallet...not sure why I'm fretting the car expenses too
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I was thinking of getting a non-owners policy for liability. I recently moved all my insurance to USAA and they quoted me $135/ 6 months.​​​​"

What is your state of residence? Illinois, or someplace else?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Depends on the state...in most states, yes; but in a few like California and Texas it's not. You have to have your own insurance, or buy it from the rental company.

https://www.avis.com/en/customer-ser...ions-coverages

I rented a car in California for two weeks when I didn't own a car / didn't have car insurance...turned out to be way cheaper for me to sign up for a non-owner auto policy from a normal insurance company, and then cancel after two weeks, rather than opt for the daily charge from the rental company.

Additionally, in the states where it is included, the state-mandated minimums may be much smaller than you'd be comfortable with.
Thanks a lot for the link. Learn something new everyday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.