Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom CC and Costco

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Chase Freedom CC and Costco

The Chase Freedom CC ends up offering 5X points on grocery store spends (up to $1500) for one of their quarterly promotions. Are the Costco charges coded as grocery store sales or department store sales? Anyone know for sure? The info will come in handy when Costco switches from AMEX to Visa.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:39 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
According to the Visa Supplier Locator (https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp), Costcos seem to be coded as "DISCOUNT STORES / WAREHOUSE / WHOLESALE - 5300"
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I seem to remember Costco being on Chase's list of excluded merchants whenever the Freedom has grocery stores in the 5x category.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Slow_Mustang
The Chase Freedom CC ends up offering 5X points on grocery store spends (up to $1500) for one of their quarterly promotions. Are the Costco charges coded as grocery store sales or department store sales? Anyone know for sure? The info will come in handy when Costco switches from AMEX to Visa.
Go to costco.com and buy a Costco Cash Card with your Freedom card and let us know how it is carded. You can buy Costco Cash Cards with any card. I do this when I need help meeting minimum spend on various cards. Don't have a Freedom card so can't answer that question.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:51 pm

Are the Costco charges coded as grocery store sales or department store sales? Anyone know for sure? The info will come in handy when Costco switches from AMEX to Visa.
Take a look at the FAQ:
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/faq
What types of merchants are in the Chase Freedom Grocery stores category that does not include Walmart® and Target® purchases?

Merchants in the Chase Freedom Grocery stores category that does not include Walmart® and Target® purchases, includes supermarkets as well as smaller grocery stores. Please note that some merchants that sell grocery items are not included in this category; for example, larger stores that sell a wide variety of goods, such as Target®, Walmart®, discount stores, warehouse clubs, and some smaller merchants such as drugstores and merchants that specialize in only a few grocery items. In addition, please note that purchases made at gas stations operated by merchants who also operate grocery stores are not included in this category.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses.
"Costcos seem to be coded as "DISCOUNT STORES / WAREHOUSE / WHOLESALE - 5300" - " kills it.
Regarding trying the Freedom CC at costco.com to find out for myself how the charges are coded, grocery stores are not on the promotion list for the current quarter. So, I cannot test it for myself. But using the option to buy Costco Cash Cards to meet the minimum spend on new CC's is a great idea which I will use some day.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
you could always buy $200 debit cards and buy costco gift cards with that. You should end up with 2% back or so.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:14 pm

A little bit off topic, but does Costco Travel count as a Travel category for CSP? Thinking of booking a honeymoon through Costco Travel, but not sure which card to use
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:59 pm

Thanks all for your responses.
"Costcos seem to be coded as "DISCOUNT STORES / WAREHOUSE / WHOLESALE - 5300" - " kills it.
Regarding trying the Freedom CC at costco.com to find out for myself how the charges are coded, grocery stores are not on the promotion list for the current quarter. So, I cannot test it for myself. But using the option to buy Costco Cash Cards to meet the minimum spend on new CC's is a great idea which I will use some day.
That means won't get 5% on costco.com to buy cash cards?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I've gotten the 5% on Costco CashCards from costo.com.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
This quarter's bonus category is grocery stores and wholesale clubs. Costco cash cards count as the latter and get 5x.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:32 pm

I can also vouch for the fact that Costco receives 5x this quarter.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
You looked at 2015's thread. Last year it was only grocery stores. This year it includes wholesales clubs. And yes this year, costco.com gift card works. I got some myself.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
The wholesale club category has been extended until 12/31 on Freedom.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Freedom 5% extending Warehouse clubs catagory to end of year

Clipped from /r/Churning

"With the Costco credit card acceptance changing to Visa on June 20, including those issued by Chase, Chase Freedom is announcing that it will continue to offer the 5% cash back category of Wholesale Clubs through the end of the year. Chase Freedom cardholders earn 5% cash back each quarter on up to $1,500 in combined purchases from Wholesale Clubs, including Costco®, BJ’s® and Sam’s Club®, and other additional rotating quarterly categories."
Edit: Several others have confirmed this, also I got confirmation from the Chase twitter team. Link should show tomorrow when you can activate quarter 3!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.