Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase won't cancel card via SM; what to do next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

I have sent three successive secure messages requesting closure of my Ink Plus account. Each one gets a form reply saying my request has been forwarded to the proper department and I should hear within 48-72 hours. Then silence.

I have closed cards this way before, so this is something new.

I am not eager to call some toll-free number and be put on hold. I am wondering if there is something else I could do, like a complaints e-mail address or a CEO e-mail address.

My apologies if this has been discussed before.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
So you waited 72 hours without hearing from them?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:58 am
In memoriam

You could have called and cancelled the card in less time than it took to write this post. @:-)

By the way, I call Chase to cancel all the time (thanks for your bonuses, kindly Chase ^) and don't recall being put on hold for very long at all.

What's so terrible about calling?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I am not eager to call some toll-free number and be put on hold. I am wondering if there is something else I could do, like a complaints e-mail address or a CEO e-mail address.
It would take less time to call than it would to get a response from a complaint form or the CEO's office, even with spending time on hold.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:16 pm

10 minute phone calls are serious business.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Never had a 10-minute wait for Chase. 5 may be my tops. That's less time than it took OP to start this thread. Just pick up the phone, call them and tell them. Or, send them a snail mail letter and be done with it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Beside time, are there any other reasons you don't want to call? Don't want eyes looking at activity? In the middle of a dispute with Chase?

Beyond calling, I agree with the snail mail idea.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
OP said that Chase told him to wait 72 hours. OP never said he actually waited 72 hours. SM is not instant. I have had to wait 2 or 3 days for Chase to respond before and they always have.

Even though the title suggests Chase refused to close the account via SM, that might not be the case. He might just be impatient.

What the title should read is that he contacted Chase and hasn't heard back yet.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:42 pm

More than once Chase has told me, by automatic reply, that I would receive a reply within 48 hours….but it took a day or two longer. I think you'll be fine.

By the way, this thread may be of interest since it is on a similar topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post24432438
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeanie
OP said that Chase told him to wait 72 hours. OP never said he actually waited 72 hours. SM is not instant. I have had to wait 2 or 3 days for Chase to respond before and they always have.

Even though the title suggests Chase refused to close the account via SM, that might not be the case. He might just be impatient.

What the title should read is that he contacted Chase and hasn't heard back yet.
It has been 11 days since my first SM and I have waited for the specified period three times.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Feb 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:04 pm

It has been 11 days since my first SM and I have waited for the specified period three times.
So, the account is still showing up as an open account when you log in, right? (I'm wondering if maybe they did not email you back but in fact they have closed the account.) If the account is still showing up as open, then I agree with you that this is odd. And in that case you should call them and settle this once and for all.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muji
So, the account is still showing up as an open account when you log in, right?
Yes, of course.

I admit, it would be easier to call than to answer all the questions in this thread.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:50 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, of course.

I admit, it would be easier to call than to answer all the questions in this thread.
There wouldn't be so many questions in this thread if you had explained all that up front (that it had been over 10 days, that it still don't show closed). You wrote several paragrahps in your original post yet never explained either of those things.

I'm glad you waited 10 days before posting. But we'eve seen posts before from people who didn't wait, so we couldn't know you had waited without asking (since you hadn't told us up front)!!!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

It's annoying to have to call in each time to cancel a card. You have to deal with the CSR's canned "Oh I'm very sorry to hear that. Is there a reason why you're cancelling?" And me saying: Because I want to.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TMM1982
It's annoying to have to call in each time to cancel a card. You have to deal with the CSR's canned "Oh I'm very sorry to hear that. Is there a reason why you're cancelling?" And me saying: Because I want to.
But it opens you up to the potential for getting retention offers...never hurts to call! And usually after the first "I just don't want the card" they will go ahead and cancel it for you. It's not like a cable company...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.