Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP / Freedom / checking triple combo no longer in effect ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSP / Freedom / checking triple combo no longer in effect ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:54 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question CSP / Freedom / checking triple combo no longer in effect ?

I've had Chase checking for over a decade, had the CSP since last July, and just applied for the Freedom which I received today. I called in asking if I need to do anything in order to be eligible for the annual 10% bonus on all UR points earned on the Freedom since I have Chase checking. The lady informed me they no longer offer that benefit. I asked if she was certain as I understood initially, the Freedom/checking combo allowed instant 10% bonus, which was then later changed to a lump sum at the end of the year. But now it seems they got rid of the 10% bonus altogether.

So now, I guess the plan should be to spend on the Freedom only on the 5% categories, and everything else on the CSP (since at least the CSP still has the 7% bonus in effect for another year). Then move everything over to the CSP pool. The CSP/Freedom/checking triple combo is now a CSP/Freedom double combo. I'm effectively treating the Freedom as simply an extension of the CSP now.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:58 am

The 10% bonus is going away for existing cardmembers at the end of this year, and I believe they stopped it for new cardmembers last year.

Discussion here (look at later comments, the early comments discuss a different change): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...dfathered.html

Last edited by AggieTraveler; Feb 2, 2015 at 12:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
I've had Chase checking for over a decade, had the CSP since last July, and just applied for the Freedom which I received today. I called in asking if I need to do anything in order to be eligible for the annual 10% bonus on all UR points earned on the Freedom since I have Chase checking. The lady informed me they no longer offer that benefit. I asked if she was certain as I understood initially, the Freedom/checking combo allowed instant 10% bonus, which was then later changed to a lump sum at the end of the year. But now it seems they got rid of the 10% bonus altogether.

So now, I guess the plan should be to spend on the Freedom only on the 5% categories, and everything else on the CSP (since at least the CSP still has the 7% bonus in effect for another year). Then move everything over to the CSP pool. The CSP/Freedom/checking triple combo is now a CSP/Freedom double combo. I'm effectively treating the Freedom as simply an extension of the CSP now.
Basically the CSP 7% bonus and the Freedom 10% bonus are going away after this year 2015. Starting Jan 1, 2016 both of these bonuses are going away. So basically your triple combo is valid until the end of this year.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:13 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I closed my Chase checking account last summer but am still getting the 10% bonus and 10pt/swipe on my Freedom.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:20 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
I opened my CSP in time to be grandfathered into the 7% until the end of 2015, not so for the Freedom. So it seems like there's no longer any point in having a Chase checking account open for rewards earning purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.