Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Where do I find info on taxes/fees/fuel surcharges for UR airline partners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I am new to Chase UR and have read several articles on The Points Guy and other sites about how to use UR points effectively. I think I have a pretty good grasp on my options at this point, but what I am still unclear on is where to find information on taxes, fees and fuel surcharges for the airline partners.

For example, this post suggests not transferring points to Virgin Atlantic because of the large fuel surcharges they impose.

Is there any kind of central resource with information like this for all of the airline partners? Seems very important to know, since it affects the total "cost" of a reward.

Thanks,
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The big concern is fuel surcharges. Taxes/fees are minimal outside of UK, specifically departures from LHR. Fuel surcharges depend on which mileage program you're using, and often are also affected by which airline you're flying on. This is a great resource for UA, BA, and SQ miles (SQ should mirror Aeroplan I believe):

http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

I think that Korean miles don't charge YQ on Delta awards originating in the US, but confirm that before doing any transfer.

VS is the toughest. Quite simple for flights on VS: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...d-flights.html (see Spend Miles table)
As for redemptions on partner airlines, this lays out how to avoid fuel surcharges: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/how-...el-surcharges/
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Those VS fees are crazy. Am I reading it correctly that a RT from SFO to LHR would be 200k points + $2,600 in points/fees in Upper Class? The cash price of that ticket is $5,300, so that is definitely not a good deal!

On VS, do you have to pay taxes/fees/fuel surcharges for upgrades? For example, if I buy a ticket in Premium Economy and use VS miles to upgrade to UC, would that entail any fees?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by switters
Thank you. Those VS fees are crazy. Am I reading it correctly that a RT from SFO to LHR would be 200k points + $2,600 in points/fees in Upper Class?
No, the prices shown are for round trips.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
No, the prices shown are for round trips.
Ah. In that case, it's not as bad as I thought. 100k miles + $1,300 is not great, but it's >2x points value, so probably still worth doing over paying in cash (assuming there is award availability), no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.