Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizarre CC transaction error

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Bizarre CC transaction error

I have been disputing a CC transaction error on my United MPE card for the last few months, and it's taken a bit of a bizarre turn. Right after a trip, I matched up bar receipts, and noticed a $32.00 charge I don't recognize and can't find a receipt for. No biggie, I call United customer service, and they happily put a hold on the amount to investigate it.

After a few months of letters letting me know about the progress of the investigation, I receive a letter today that says that they have finished the investigation of the $32.00 dispute, and they consider the dispute resolved because my credit card was not reported as lost or stolen.

So, they attached a copy of the sales slip, and I immediately notice a few things that are very wrong with it:

- Card type: Master Card (all of my Chase cards are Visas)
- Acct #: XXXXXXXXX???? (four numbers that don't match with any of my cards, Chase or otherwise)

What happened? (1) I have no idea why the Dispute department missed these details, and (2) How did someone else's card charges end up on my account?

I just called the Fraud Department, but they were no help. I will call back to get the Dispute Dept. tomorrow when it's open.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by nsc168
I have been disputing a CC transaction error on my United MPE card for the last few months, and it's taken a bit of a bizarre turn. Right after a trip, I matched up bar receipts, and noticed a $32.00 charge I don't recognize and can't find a receipt for. No biggie, I call United customer service, and they happily put a hold on the amount to investigate it.

After a few months of letters letting me know about the progress of the investigation, I receive a letter today that says that they have finished the investigation of the $32.00 dispute, and they consider the dispute resolved because my credit card was not reported as lost or stolen.

So, they attached a copy of the sales slip, and I immediately notice a few things that are very wrong with it:

- Card type: Master Card (all of my Chase cards are Visas)
- Acct #: XXXXXXXXX???? (four numbers that don't match with any of my cards, Chase or otherwise)

What happened? (1) I have no idea why the Dispute department missed these details, and (2) How did someone else's card charges end up on my account?

I just called the Fraud Department, but they were no help. I will call back to get the Dispute Dept. tomorrow when it's open.
Chase probably used whatever receipt submitted by the merchant to settle the dispute. Can't really tell if there are actual people reviewing these disputes. Sometimes if you don't report your card as lost or stolen, and there is only 1 or 2 disputes with small amount then they might just consider as an oversight by you. Meaning you probably used the card, but just forgot about it.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benny08
Chase probably used whatever receipt submitted by the merchant to settle the dispute. Can't really tell if there are actual people reviewing these disputes. Sometimes if you don't report your card as lost or stolen, and there is only 1 or 2 disputes with small amount then they might just consider as an oversight by you. Meaning you probably used the card, but just forgot about it.
Ah okay. That makes sense.

I guess I'll try to clarify today during my call to the Dispute department.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsc168
Ah okay. That makes sense.

I guess I'll try to clarify today during my call to the Dispute department.
Sloppy work of the dispute dept from rep most likely based in either Philippines or India.

I were you I would send an SM, with the attachment of the Chase letter and the receipt copy to make them aware what a blatant oversight one of their employees has made. I would use stern language as well.

Calling as you will, but that does not give you written support on this stupidity from Chase.

Only written dispute can be upheld and has legal right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.