Wiki Posts
Search

Chase unexpectedly transferred UR points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Chase unexpectedly moved my UR points

Hoping someone can let me know what kind of recourse I have here and if it is Chase or myself that is in the wrong.

Scenario: I needed to transfer ~20K UR points to United for a flight coming up in four days. I attempted to transfer via the web and got a message "we are unable to transfer, please contact United to verify contact info" and was not able to even press the Confirm button to transfer. After calling United and verifying there was nothing on their end that should have kept me from transferring, I called Chase customer service and the rep was also unable to transfer any points to United and apologized and said she would escalate to Chase marketing to see what the issue was, but that it would be at least 48 hours before I heard back.

Since I needed to book the flights ASAP I ended up using already existing Avios to book into a different airport (DCA instead of BWI). Five days after my call to Chase (and after I had already completed the first leg of my roundtrip), 20K points were transferred to United without any attempt to contact me to ask if I still wanted to make the transfer.

My main use of UR points is for short-haul domestic travel so I transfer 95% of my points to BA and WN and the 20K UR points that were converted to United points are now worthless to me. Since I asked the phone rep to transfer the points and she was unable to, am I wrong to assume that was the end of the request? At worst I thought they would let me know that whatever communication issue with UA was fixed and asking if I still wanted to transfer the points (at which point I would have declined) and not transferring the points long after I needed them.

Do I have any recourse here? Obviously the process cannot be reversed but I feel like Chase should have asked whether or not they should transfer the points before doing so. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by konems; Oct 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by konems
Hoping someone can let me know what kind of recourse I have here and if it is Chase or myself that is in the wrong.

Scenario: I needed to transfer ~20K UR points to United for a flight coming up in four days. I attempted to transfer via the web and got a message "we are unable to transfer, please contact United to verify contact info" and was not able to even press the Confirm button to transfer. After calling United and verifying there was nothing on their end that should have kept me from transferring, I called Chase customer service and the rep was also unable to transfer any points to United and apologized and said she would escalate to Chase marketing to see what the issue was, but that it would be at least 48 hours before I heard back.

Since I needed to book the flights ASAP I ended up using already existing Avios to book into a different airport (DCA instead of BWI). Five days after my call to Chase (and after I had already completed the first leg of my roundtrip), 20K points were transferred to United without any attempt to contact me to ask if I still wanted to make the transfer.

My main use of UR points is for short-haul domestic travel so I transfer 95% of my points to BA and WN and the 20K UR points that were converted to United points are now worthless to me. Since I asked the phone rep to transfer the points and she was unable to, am I wrong to assume that was the end of the request? At worst I thought they would let me know that whatever communication issue with UA was fixed and asking if I still wanted to transfer the points (at which point I would have declined) and not transferring the points long after I needed them.

Do I have any recourse here? Obviously the process cannot be reversed but I feel like Chase should have asked whether or not they should transfer the points before doing so. Any advice? Thanks.
Did you give them permission to transfer the points over the phone?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Call and tell them they owe you 20K UR. I'd fight for it. Let us know the results.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List Preferred & CP
Originally Posted by DL172
Did you give them permission to transfer the points over the phone?
I would have if the rep had been able to transfer the points, but she was similarly unable to even be granted the option to transfer them.

I've been through three rounds of SM and have had no luck (or even an acknowledgement that they made a mistake). Not sure if calling is going to make a difference but that's my next step.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:42 pm

I've been through three rounds of SM and have had no luck (or even an acknowledgement that they made a mistake). Not sure if calling is going to make a difference but that's my next step.
When a company makes a mistake, you never deal with it through written communication (unless you're a lawyer and are suing them). I've rarely if ever had a company/customer service rep go "above and beyond" with text based communication.

I imagine this has something to do with people not liking confrontation. If they are talking to you on the phone, it isn't as easy for them to dismiss you and move on to the next problem, and they will hopefully do something about it.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by philemer
Call and tell them they owe you 20K UR. I'd fight for it. Let us know the results.
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
When a company makes a mistake, you never deal with it through written communication (unless you're a lawyer and are suing them). I've rarely if ever had a company/customer service rep go "above and beyond" with text based communication.

I imagine this has something to do with people not liking confrontation. If they are talking to you on the phone, it isn't as easy for them to dismiss you and move on to the next problem, and they will hopefully do something about it.

I wish you luck, you definitely have a point, but getting Chase to admit a mistake is NOT easy. I had a. $5 difference in Charge amounts due to DCC from a trip to Spain this past summer, get (grudgingly,and I mean grudgingly) resolved, after a TON of back and forth, and paperwork. I have since cancelled the CSP and use my INK bold as my "premium" Chase card to feed me miles

But, there is no way in hell I will use a Chase card while traveling (especially overseas) (which is disappointing because the 2X bonus will be missed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.