Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

House income or Personal Income on application?

Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR

Hi,

I just heard from a FT member "Brugge" about this and I have read a blog post that states that there is a recent law that says household income is allowed on CC apps, not just personal. I have a few questions about it

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-applications/

1) I live with a family member who is not a partner or spouse who has regular income, and I am unemployed, so can I put the household income on the application?

2) Chase doesn't ask for household income on the app, but according to this they are supposed to accept this. So, may I put my household income on the card even if we are not 'partners'?

Does anybody know anything about this law and am I on the right track?

Thanks
DC
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:18 pm

I can't specify exactly what "the law" states, however I think the intention is that you can include any income that you could reasonably expect to use to repay the debt.

I include my wife's income in the specified question. Since many apps also ask monthly housing payment, if I only included my own, it would look like I've overextended with my rent. My wife and I combine our finances, and I will charge things on her card, and her on mine, and they all get paid off every month from the same joint account. My tax return shows our joint income. So, I can say without a doubt that I can reasonably expect to use our joint income towards repayment of the specified credit card.

It would be different if I were single and living with a brother, for instance. Unless you shared finances with the brother (or whatever family member) and could expect no trouble using their income to repay your debt, I wouldn't list it.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:05 am

Right, it's income available to you to repay your debts. Not necessarily any "household" income.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by trouble747
Right, it's income available to you to repay your debts. Not necessarily any "household" income.
+1
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: IHG Plat
if you're in a community property state like CA, I would include my wife's income. but idk if she's really liable to pay my bills lol.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:36 am

good question. what are unemployed people supposed to list?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by indelible
if you're in a community property state like CA, I would include my wife's income. but idk if she's really liable to pay my bills lol.
Actually... I think if you're married in a community property state you're both liable for each others' debts incurred during marriage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.