Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA

First of all
Big thanks to flyertalk member "happy" for letting me know! (completely by accident)

I don't know if this has been posted or stikied anywhere else but I think it's really important

A few months ago I was trying to buy renfee train tickets for an (at that time) upcoming trip to Spain. Between the website being bad or potential fraud alerts on chase's part (which they said none had occurred), I thought I was out of luck. In the end I used my Citi AA exec card to complete the purchase) which wasn't that easy either.

Between all the above mentioned scenarios I could not possibly imagine a situation where verify by visa on chase's part could also be a problem

Upon confirming with a Chase rep they did grudgingly confirm that you have to call this number (18006549214) to get the charges to go through (the rep refused to say when the changes went into effect, as well as did confirm that NO notifications were ever sent out regarding this change)

If anyone has more details , please feel free to chime in
Overall very disappointing
Originally Posted by Happy
Chase would not send me the replacement CSP when mine was stolen in Rome.

Overall the experience with Chase is rather disappointing.

First, the Italian pay phone system operators said the Chase number (collect call) BLOCKED collect calls. Since the AU card was not lost, I used the AU card to pay for the call, about $47 charge later I saw online.

Then when we got to the hotel, we tried to call from the hotel. Again, the collect call number was blocked to take collect call! Hilton FCO ended up using the front desk's line to call for me.

When I initially called to report the stolen card, Chase was NOT able to stop the card because the system was in a weekend update mode. The rep who took the call said she would email the security dept which in turn would put a stop on the card when the system was up and running.

It never happened. When I called back on Monday to inquire the situation I was told the card was NEVER blocked. Though the rep did find an email from the previous rep. But nothing has ever been done. And, get this, this rep said since the AU card was not lost, he suggested Not to block the card but had the merchant called for approval on each transaction.

I insisted the card needed to be canceled promptly and a replacement card be sent to the hotel address which we would return after 10 days (on a cruise). The rep refused. No big deal. We have other cards and I really dont want to keep calling Chase on this crap. I asked him to put a note to send the card to our home address at proper time so the card would be waiting when we returned home.

It never happened. When we returned home, there was no card in mail pile. Wait a week, still no card. SMed Chase, was told replacement card was NEVER ordered...

Long story short, compared to AMEX, Chase is worthless in situation like this.

CSP does not worth its $95 fee in our opinion, especially now Chase has pulled out from Verified by Visa program. So now each time if you try to buy a train ticket online from virtually each major European national train system, SNCF, Trenitalia, Renfe, and may be DB, you would need to call and they would give the card a 24 hours "pass" or whatever it is, so your transaction would go thru. Otherwise, you would have to go thru 3rd party sites to buy and pay extra (the 3rd parties commission).
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Sounds like quite an experience...... ..I don't know but I never really had such issues with them

PS ..., Chase pulled out of verified by visa??? Since when??????? I tried to get renfee tickets through the citi executive concierge, because I was having a hard time understanding Spanish and their website is quite bad
In the end after many attempt on both cards, the AA card ended up working while Chase did not, this may partially explain why? What, I can't believe it??
Slightly OT

I have bad news for all of you that use Chase Visa for foreign sites online purchases.

Chase has pulled out Verified by Visa program. I dont know when. Recently the CSP was rejected by SNCF site in the Verification process. It worked fine with Trenitalia earlier this year. It took me a total of 45 min and 4 transfers to finally get the transaction go thru.

I thought once a card was verified, the next time to use it it would be fine especially the card is recognized by SNCF as being registered with the account.

NO. It failed again 2 weeks later. This time I told the Chase front line rep to transfer me to Verified by Visa program liaison. Then I was told I had to call EACH time before a transaction if the merchant requires Verified by Visa - because Chase has pulled out the program. Chase on the other hand, could approve the card for 24 hours period. Unless you are doing multiple transactions within that 24 hours period, otherwise you would need to call again on your next transaction that the merchant uses Verified by Visa.

This would mean virtually ALL European countries national railway system websites would reject Chase cards as IIRC Trenitalia (worked earlier this year), Renfe, SNCF and may be DB, all use the Verified by Visa program on foreign cards.

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jul 16, 2014 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Ugh.

Who in their right mind thought it was a brilliant idea to have people call in to get an online transaction done in this day and age?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
More info on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post23203287
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Super crazy! I'm generally pleased with Chase allowing large purchases to go thru.

But when I called in last week to authorize recurring charges of $505 the CSR called the Fraud Dept, who then chastised him for calling about a non-fraud issue and hung up on us.

The CSR then said he can only authorize ONE future charge. There's no way to note recurring charges in the computer!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Super crazy! I'm generally pleased with Chase allowing large purchases to go thru.

But when I called in last week to authorize recurring charges of $505 the CSR called the Fraud Dept, who then chastised him for calling about a non-fraud issue and hung up on us.

The CSR then said he can only authorize ONE future charge. There's no way to note recurring charges in the computer!
..., Seriously? I hope the frontline CSR reports the rude fraud department CSR to management and they fire him
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was given 2 different 800 number for this

1-800-396-1751 this seems to be the security dept in Philippines. They can make the transaction go thru.

1-800-955-9060 this is in Mumbai India. They told me I had to call each time if Verified by Visa is needed. Very difficult to understand accent.

BTW, Renfre has an English version of its website. It had a Time Limit for you to finish the ticket purchase so if you had difficulty or diddling a bit, you would run out of the time slot and locked out of the purchase.

Trenitalia is the easiest to use even before their update. The site is very functional, especially when using to check train schedules.

DB (Germany) requires you to register with a credit card as your ID, and such credit card must be present when the conductor check your tickets and they did. However once the CC is verified by the conductor one time, the subsequent checks on the train trips do not seem to present your CC any more. It seems to me the handhelds the conductors use gave the conductors various prompts on what to do.

SNCF site is one of the more difficult to use, even more so than Renfre.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I was given 2 different 800 number for this

1-800-396-1751 this seems to be the security dept in Philippines. They can make the transaction go thru.

1-800-955-9060 this is in Mumbai India. They told me I had to call each time if Verified by Visa is needed. Very difficult to understand accent.

BTW, Renfre has an English version of its website. It had a Time Limit for you to finish the ticket purchase so if you had difficulty or diddling a bit, you would run out of the time slot and locked out of the purchase.

Trenitalia is the easiest to use even before their update. The site is very functional, especially when using to check train schedules.

DB (Germany) requires you to register with a credit card as your ID, and such credit card must be present when the conductor check your tickets and they did. However once the CC is verified by the conductor one time, the subsequent checks on the train trips do not seem to present your CC any more. It seems to me the handhelds the conductors use gave the conductors various prompts on what to do.

SNCF site is one of the more difficult to use, even more so than Renfre.
The number I was given also seems to lead to india, with very rude agents I might add
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The number I was given also seems to lead to india, with very rude agents I might add
Ditto. Extremely rude agent. If you google you would find many people complained about Chase's outsourcing the security dept to India and the agents were all having heavy accents, difficult to understand and generally very rude.

Overall Chase customer service has gone downhill rapidly from 18 to 24 months ago. These days the "premium" cards dont get you the same "premium" customer service any more. The CSP reps no longer are the more knowledgeable, more empowered reps like in the past. Now it is a luck of draw. I think only the biz cards still have somewhat decent customer service. Everything else is just crap.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:09 pm

I find it interesting that Chase will use a US call center for general customer service for CSP but use an oversea outsource center for security department, which shall be higher up in a bank's hierarchy.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
I just got an email today about Verified by Visa changing to Visa Checkout. I wonder, maybe the change had something to do with it?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
I find it interesting that Chase will use a US call center for general customer service for CSP but use an oversea outsource center for security department, which shall be higher up in a bank's hierarchy.
As we all know, banks don't usually think logically.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

As a distraction today from hearing about the tragic air disaster. I tried to press Chase for more information regarding v by v situation
Frontline CSP rep did not know much then I got transferred to the security dept this time in the philippines I would guess where the rep wasnt that aware and simply said this maybe something on a case by case basis. Do you guys think there is some truth to this? (I am almost tempted to do a v by v transaction, in order to provide my own first hand data point)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
As a distraction today from hearing about the tragic air disaster. I tried to press Chase for more information regarding v by v situation
Frontline CSP rep did not know much then I got transferred to the security dept this time in the philippines I would guess where the rep wasnt that aware and simply said this maybe something on a case by case basis. Do you guys think there is some truth to this? (I am almost tempted to do a v by v transaction, in order to provide my own first hand data point)
Definitely not true: news takes awhile to filter down.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
I have had this problem with Chase Visa cards before and email / phone conversations with multiple people have failed. In fact they had told be they do not block any transactions that need VbV. I have always failed to be able to use it for any online transactions on India based sites (where it is a legal requirement for vendors to use 2-step security). Only Amazon.in has been developed intelligently where it holds the transaction and a call to Chase CS and it gets processed automatically. Once that was done - Amazon.in does not require any more authentication / VbV non-sense for some reason.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:37 pm

Is it possible to get around "Verify Visa"

I've recently relocated to Singapore and have my address updated with my Chase Sapphire preferred card, love it.

While booking flights to Thailand with Jetsar and Airasia, I am forced to call an 800 # (US based) to verify that it is actually me making the purchase. Visa cannot do anything about it because it is required by the merchant...or so I'm told from a few different Visa operators.

My issue is simply this, I'll be booking one way tickets without a final destination in mind. After traveling for a few weeks, I'll need to book a flight back to Singapore but will not have access to an international phone to verify my visa.

Has anyone run into this issue and is there anything that can be done to get around that security measure.

Thanks for your time!!

*1st time post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.