Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions

chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by haddenl
I've recently relocated to Singapore and have my address updated with my Chase Sapphire preferred card, love it.

While booking flights to Thailand with Jetsar and Airasia, I am forced to call an 800 # (US based) to verify that it is actually me making the purchase. Visa cannot do anything about it because it is required by the merchant...or so I'm told from a few different Visa operators.

My issue is simply this, I'll be booking one way tickets without a final destination in mind. After traveling for a few weeks, I'll need to book a flight back to Singapore but will not have access to an international phone to verify my visa.

Has anyone run into this issue and is there anything that can be done to get around that security measure.

Thanks for your time!!

*1st time post
Secure message them via your online account or use another card from a different issuer
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Secure message them via your online account or use another card from a different issuer
That would be the solution.

SM does not going to help you as what you need is someone at the security dept that deal with Verified by Visa to monitor your transaction real time. They can see the attempted transaction, and let it go thru. The regular rep does not see this "back office" function. The regular rep would tell you there is not even an attempt to charge the card - which is completely NOT TRUE because the security dept can see it, at a higher level of clearance.

Also the poster wants to buy ticket from Air Asia - this site has its own high security measure - if a card is being blocked twice within 24 hours, the card number would be rejected by Air Asia until another 24 hours pass. This is the company's mechanism to combat fraudulent charges from stolen cards which in that part of the world is a serious issue, because many stolen cards in US the numbers are sold to Asia and Europe criminals.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 18, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:52 am

This is ridiculous and bizarre, that US banks can't get 3-D secure right. How hard is this to get right, really?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexmt
This is ridiculous and bizarre, that US banks can't get 3-D secure right. How hard is this to get right, really?
What is 3D secure?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is 3D secure?
The name of the mechanism behind the Verified by Visa, Mastercard Secure Code, AmericanExpress SecureKey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

Chase USED to participate but they pulled out. That is why now everyone has such a hard time buying train tickets from virtually all European national railway systems.

Luckily there are now 3rd party ticket-selling agencies that can circumvent such issues. Just use that versus the "real thing".
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
The name of the mechanism behind the Verified by Visa, Mastercard Secure Code, AmericanExpress SecureKey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

Chase USED to participate but they pulled out. That is why now everyone has such a hard time buying train tickets from virtually all European national railway systems.

Luckily there are now 3rd party ticket-selling agencies that can circumvent such issues. Just use that versus the "real thing".

And don't forget about paying at least1.5 tiimes more for buying the tickets through a third party. A more friendly solution is to use another card or opt for the transaction to be processed through PayPal or other similar service. I hear renfee supposedly now supports PayPal, to help those having problems buying train tickets
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And don't forget about paying at least1.5 tiimes more for buying the tickets through a third party. A more friendly solution is to use another card or opt for the transaction to be processed through PayPal or other similar service. I hear renfee supposedly now supports PayPal, to help those having problems buying train tickets
You cannot be more wrong.

If you only know about Europe Rail, then you need to do more google search or read more sites to expand your knowledge base.

There is at least one site to buy SNCF tickets not only it is at the SAME PRICE as SNCF, but also it allows you to HOLD your reservation and come back to buy it the next day.

There are several UK sites that the surcharge is a VERY REASONABLE 5% or below. I would gladly pay that surcharge and not to try to call Chase multiple times or try multiple other cards to make the purchases - because UNLESS your other cards participate in the 3 D secure system, your other cards would inevitably fail just like the Chase cards. So far I do not know which cards would pass the muster - CapOne does not participate, Citi does not participate Master Secure Code in the past, no idea now. Have not tried Barclays yet.

That is what alexmt's post is all about - note he mentioned US Banks...

I am not aware the European National Railway systems allow you make the payment via PayPal.

So have you found other cards that work, short of calling Chase to book yours?

Last edited by Happy; Aug 18, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by Happy
You cannot be more wrong.

If you only know about Europe Rail, then you need to do more google search or read more sites to expand your knowledge base.

There is at least one site to buy SNCF tickets not only it is at the SAME PRICE as SNCF, but also it allows you to HOLD your reservation and come back to buy it the next day.

There are several UK sites that the surcharge is a VERY REASONABLE 5% or below. I would gladly pay that surcharge and not to try to call Chase multiple times or try multiple other cards to make the purchases - because UNLESS your other cards participate in the 3 D secure system, your other cards would inevitably fail just like the Chase cards. So far I do not know which cards would pass the muster - CapOne does not participate, Citi does not participate Master Secure Code in the past, no idea now. Have not tried Barclays yet.

That is what alexmt's post is all about - note he mentioned US Banks...

I am not aware the European National Railway systems allow you make the payment via PayPal.

So have you found other cards that work, short of calling Chase to book yours?
2 words Almost ALL cards work with verify by visa and MasterCard secure code. Remember,you were the one who told me that I may have had problems with v by v transactions due to Chase supposedly pulling out of the program. Honestly, I am surprised that someone with your post count doesn't know this?

Rather than lecturing me, would you mind just sharing the list of third-party sellers?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by alexmt
These days, the only big 4 that has 3-D Secure is Wells Fargo. Either that or CCs issued by credit unions.

Barclaycard also has MasterCard SecureCode, but it was a pain to set it up. I actually posted a complaint on Barclaycard Travel Community. You can go over there and read my complaint.

I do agree that it is ridiculous that banks are not supporting 3-D Secure. This and the fact that we are behind in EMV adoption makes US the number 1 country in credit card fraud.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, TK*G, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, etc
I know this sounds odd, but my BA transactions (on a CSP) are still thrown to the (correct) VbV page.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idlingbye
I know this sounds odd, but my BA transactions (on a CSP) are still thrown to the (correct) VbV page.
Did you make your purchase from BA UK site or BA US site?

I have redeemed BA awards many times, paid by various cards that have 0% forex fee for fear the billing being done overseas. Yet, each time it was billed by BA US, and the site NEVER throws me to the VbV screen.

Needless to say, I am using BA US site because my membership is US-based.

On the other hand, 2 weeks ago I purchased a fully refundable ticket from UA site, using the Marriott's card because it earns 2x on airline purchases and I might cancel my UA card before I may cancel the ticket for a refund, the UA site threw me to the VbV screen with a BROKEN symbol - as if the connection was in jeopardy... For a while I watched the spinning of the connection symbol thinking it was messed up... seemed like taking forever, but it eventually came back with Confirmed Purchase... Whew! I have NEVER experienced VbV on UA site in the past when paying with a US Visa card!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google is one's friend if one wants to bypass the VbV annoyance when buying tickets from international sites.

I did not know what 3 D security stood for when others mentioned such. A 1 minute Google immediate provided the answer. Just sayin.

Seat61 has enough tutorial info for those who are willing to learn versus being spoon-fed.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trumpet205
These days, the only big 4 that has 3-D Secure is Wells Fargo. Either that or CCs issued by credit unions.

Barclaycard also has MasterCard SecureCode, but it was a pain to set it up. I actually posted a complaint on Barclaycard Travel Community. You can go over there and read my complaint.

I do agree that it is ridiculous that banks are not supporting 3-D Secure. This and the fact that we are behind in EMV adoption makes US the number 1 country in credit card fraud.

Hum, I.didn't have any issues with v by v on my Barclays arrival card when I used it to buy a vueling airlines ticket with it last year. Transaction went to v by v screen and after a couple seconds transaction went through. In fact, this has been my experience with other issuers as well, with the exception of citi who may ask the last four of my SSN as part of the v by v process, and then have me clear a fraud alert (which in most cases will come via text message)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:37 pm

Setting Verified by Visa PIN

How can I register for a Verified by Visa pin?

I've called Chase and can't seem to get a straight answer. They claim that it's not possible. I've been able to do so with all past Visa accounts. I was even able to register a pin for my old Bank of America debit card.

I need this to set up a new Skype account. Could anyone please explain what to do?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:09 pm

It took 3 phone calls to Chase but I finally got a rep ont he line that knew what she was talking about!

If anyone else encounters this same issue, call the following tel. number: 1-800-297-4970

It's an automated process and you'll be able to register a VbV code over the phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.