Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

GF Denied Chase Biz Card, CSR Interrogated Her on VR Purchases from CVS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GF Denied Chase Biz Card, CSR Interrogated Her on VR Purchases from CVS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 am

You don't need to try to defend yourself on here for buying GC at CVS. We all know what the GC were for. You didn't buy the GC for 5 weddings that you went to. Clearly the CSR is whacked and maybe he isn't allowed to use Chase credit cards to do that for fear of losing his job.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks you for the positive input. It's helping me evaluate/learn from this situation for future planning.

KennyBSAT: I was originally going to do exactly what you said until a friend convinced me we had higher chances via recon line. I still trust him, but I believe you might be onto a more sustainable strategy for today's circumstances.

skitch23: Thanks for the data point -- noted.

PaulMSN: My GF has an excellent credit score with reasonable credit history.

rjs11: It was her daily spender -- tons of other charges!

Churnman: It does seem so...but isn't that always the thing to say? It reminds me of the old saying, "It was so much easier back in the day." Maybe we just need to change our approach. Just a thought.

jacobsta811: 9 years?! Sigh, Chase...

WheelsFirst: I totally thought about that originally! So I decided to post this on FT. I thought it might've warranted another recon line attempt, but I'm not sure if my GF is up for it after comparing it to other people's situations. I would, though.

ibleed0range: lol, that would suck for the CSR.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 pm

OP, you definitely need to marry that girl if she got that type of grilling and is still willing to play the card bonus game! I can barely get my wife to call in to activate her cards

Did the guy sound old and have a deep gravely voice? I remember my call getting raked over the coals by someone like that about 6 months ago. In this case, he wanted to go card-by-card over everything I applied for in the last 24 months! Then he still denied me! I think they really get a perverse pleasure out of making people squirm.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teammjs
OP, you definitely need to marry that girl if she got that type of grilling and is still willing to play the card bonus game! I can barely get my wife to call in to activate her cards

Did the guy sound old and have a deep gravely voice? I remember my call getting raked over the coals by someone like that about 6 months ago. In this case, he wanted to go card-by-card over everything I applied for in the last 24 months! Then he still denied me! I think they really get a perverse pleasure out of making people squirm.
Haha, that's the plan. Unfortunately, this shook her up a bit so she's going to stay under the radar for awhile. And I go through the same hurdles of getting her to call and activate her card too :P.

She said the guy sounded young. I'm sure the workers talk to each other about these things during their coffee breaks.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Was the guys name Jason? My friend had a similar experience. He asked her why she was charging so much? what she was buying? if she was buying cash equivalents? was she paying her credit card bills with their money earned from buying things at office supply stores? He was very nice at first, but then became very accusatory after putting her on hold to review her account.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
This sounds like a case of one CSR who probably reads blogs and forums wanting to call someone out on MS rather than a formal Chase concern at this point.
Doubtful, all those calls are recorded and Chase wants agents handling as many calls as possible not making chit chat about spending habits.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:23 am

My wife rolled her eyes when I wanted her to call in and change her BB to Serve...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:48 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
OP, you definitely need to marry that girl if she got that type of grilling and is still willing to play the game!
this. seriously, what a trooper!

Originally Posted by kingrat
My wife rolled her eyes when I wanted her to call in and change her BB to Serve...
time to get a new wife
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smitty06
Was the guys name Jason? My friend had a similar experience. He asked her why she was charging so much? what she was buying? if she was buying cash equivalents? was she paying her credit card bills with their money earned from buying things at office supply stores? He was very nice at first, but then became very accusatory after putting her on hold to review her account.
We have no idea. We never got the name of the CSR.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, SPG, SW
I also had a similar experience just now. Applied to Ink Plus because of the 60k bonus offer, and was denied. I knew I probably shouldn't have, as I was a few days away from my 91 wait period, but that was my bad. Got a guy who started asking me about why I was applying to so many cards, then looked up my credit history. Started questioning why I was spending at CVS, I told him I was buying cards for colleagues. Then he started giving me a hard time about how Chase had this new great bonus and a lot of people who were spending at CVS were calling him about the card today. I didn't catch his name. Hung up, called again, and was told to reapply in three months--darn you enticing offers!

tl;dr: Some people at Chase know about MS; tread waters carefully.

EDIT: I attempted to call reconsideration again to double check to see if I could move some credit around. Got Jason. If you get him, he will flat out deny you for large purchases at CVS, and stating some other reason. Avoid him if at all possible.

Last edited by ethnotraveler; May 2, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old May 1, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by ethnotraveler
I also had a similar experience just now. Applied to Ink Plus because of the 60k bonus offer, and was denied. I knew I probably shouldn't have, as I was a few days away from my 91 wait period, but that was my bad. Got a guy who started asking me about why I was applying to so many cards, then looked up my credit history. Started questioning why I was spending at CVS, I told him I was buying cards for colleagues. Then he started giving me a hard time about how Chase had this new great bonus and a lot of people who were spending at CVS were calling him about the card today. I didn't catch his name. Hung up, called again, and was told to reapply in three months--darn you enticing offers!

tl;dr: Some people at Chase know about MS; tread waters carefully.
Same situation today
I already have the usual combo of cards
Have had my ink bold for about a year

Applied today for 60k plus offer and called in
First American male CSR was the nicest and the most respectful
Said he can't approve because of "too many inquires" he told me that he would have if he had the option to move credit but he doesn't because my card is charge and not credit
I asked to speak to supervisor
The female supervisor said that I was given wrong info and that credit could be moved ,but she didn't want to do it because "I am not a new CHASE customer" even though I have never had ink plus before.

I hung up and called again and after an extremely long wait time get connected with a Hispanic sounding CSR who takes the cake for the rudest and most intrusive of all
He reviews my accout and starts asking what my cvs purchases were for ?
I gave generic answers but that still wasn't enough as he still was "confused" as to why you can't just pay for mortgages or auto loans with a VISA card directly? Also he seemed very interested as to why there are so many of what he called "personal expenses" on my card?" (Ultimately got denied for "you can't get a card just for reward sake" Anyways, just wanted to share my long story.... Was this guy for real? Why was he so intrusive, and more importantly how long do you guys think we have until we all receive a friendly letter from loss prevention department?

Last edited by rgAAFT; May 1, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
This sounds like a case of one CSR who probably reads blogs and forums wanting to call someone out on MS rather than a formal Chase concern at this point.
I don't understand why people try to hide the MSing, when U know the person U are talking to knows about it. U are acting guilty....There is nothing wrong U are doing. They don't like it, they will deny you anyways.....so move on reapply or forget about it, it should be your choice!
Old May 2, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jas0n
The CSR also asked why she charged $2000 days (3/31) “before CVS stopped allowing the purchase of reloadable cards with credit cards” and if she was “paying back her chase credit card with these” (wow, that’s new). She never admitted to this.
Holy cow, this part is by far the most stunning part of the story to me. It's naive to think Chase and other banks aren't hip to the MS game, but this is pretty high level intel for your run-of-the-mill CSR to call you out on.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by JaytheBarber
Holy cow, this part is by far the most stunning part of the story to me. It's naive to think Chase and other banks aren't hip to the MS game, but this is pretty high level intel for your run-of-the-mill CSR to call you out on.
exactly

PS I started a thread on the main MS board about the issue of the overwhelming and open knowledge Chase CSRs seem to have on MS and what the implications may be for us going forward
you guys may want to take a look, I have a few data points of my own on there from yesterday

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-about-ms.html
Old May 6, 2014, 6:48 pm

My friend just got Jason and got torn up pretty good. Denied.

Last edited by Tylt33; May 6, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.