Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any good reason to keep Preferred if you have Ink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:32 am
Original Poster

The $95 annual fee just hit and I am thinking of downgrading to the non preferred version I already have two Ink cards so I will still be able to transfer to partners. As far as I could tell, the only reason to keep the Sapphire preferred card would be to get the 7% bonus at the end of the year. I do not think that's worth the annual fee. Am I missing something, or is there no good reason to keep the Preferred?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I keep it for the 2x dining points. Unfortunately that's one of my largest expenses.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Intertraffic
I keep it for the 2x dining points. Unfortunately that's one of my largest expenses.
The nonpreferred version has 2x dining, too.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:54 am

I have both CSP and Ink Bold, and will cancel my CSP when AF comes due. I have maxed out the C/L Chase is willing to extend to me so an outright cancellation will allow me to get the Ink Plus once the AF on the Bold comes due. My 7% bonus was a joke at only ~7k points (thought the sign bonus would be included, it wasn't). I replaced the CSP with Barclay Arrival as one of my biggest expenses is also Dining.

I think if you want to keep earning 2x UR dining, then downgrading to the regular sapphire is an excellent option.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
When you have an Ink B/P and CSP, the best financial decision for most people is to downgrade the CSP to a CS. However, here are a few reasons to keep the CSP that may make it worthwhile in some cases:

1. 2x on all travel (Ink B/P only give 2x on hotels).
2. 7% annual dividend (if you value UR points at $0.02/pt, the dividend from spending >$33,929 on 2x categories would pay for the AF)
3. JPMC Executive Line customer service
4. EMV chip and signature
5. "Metal" card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.