Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom Non-Signature to VISA Signature Denied

Chase Freedom Non-Signature to VISA Signature Denied

Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skibum7732
If you google "Chase Executive Offices"....bam...1st listed link has all "pertinent info"
+1 I used the same contact.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Right now I'd take almost any. But my only MC's are Citi AAdvantage, Barclay Arrival, and Barclay US Air. Barclay is loathe to upgrade anything and Citi probably doesn't want to compete with their higher end cards. A bit surprising about Barclay since they get higher swipe fees from WEMC.

It seems the GM card is the only WEMC without a high AF, but I don't want one that bad.
Depending on your usage, and CL and Credit history, Citi may be willing to upgrade your card. It doesn't hurt to contact their EO for high approval chances.
I have read many stories, about citi upgrades.

I even applied for that GM Card, No AF, thinking of easiest way to get a WEMC, but shot down for too many HP's.
This card is really useless, unless you plan to buy GM Car in near future.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newuser0
Right now I'd take almost any. But my only MC's are Citi AAdvantage, Barclay Arrival, and Barclay US Air. Barclay is loathe to upgrade anything and Citi probably doesn't want to compete with their higher end cards. A bit surprising about Barclay since they get higher swipe fees from WEMC.

It seems the GM card is the only WEMC without a high AF, but I don't want one that bad.
Depending on your usage, and CL and Credit history, Citi may be willing to upgrade your card. It doesn't hurt to contact their EO for high approval chances.
I have read many stories, about citi upgrades.

I even applied for that GM Card, No AF, thinking of easiest way to get a WEMC, but shot down for too many HP's.
This card is really useless, unless you plan to buy GM Car in near future.
I'll try again. I called a few years ago and they offered to upgrade me to the Executive card, but I'm not paying a $495 AF for a silver logo.

/OT

Too bad Chase doesn't offer Mastercards anymore!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll try again. I called a few years ago and they offered to upgrade me to the Executive card, but I'm not paying a $495 AF for a silver logo.

/OT

A couple months ago got a mailer from Citi to upgrade an existing Premium card to the World Elite version. Then new card came in the mail. Couldn't care less for the World Elite as most of the enhanced benefits dont mean much to us. Incidentally, this Premium has 0 annual fee - got it years ago when there was a brief window it did not charge annual fee.

What we really want is to move other cards (Preferred) CL to the Premium. Yet that is not possible other than escalating up and suffer a hard pull but not guarantee would happen. Totally illogical.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

/OT

There was this speculation on the internet. However, all were stunned, when chase changed their IHG Card to World Master card from VISA.

Also, All the existing VISA holders of this card, got a mail saying will be converted to Master version soon (In July)
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by newuser0
I got a $2.5K auto CLI from Chase so my current CL on my freedom card is $5.5K. I have called chase, Send SM, contacted EO. All were NOT able to upgrade me to Signature Version of this card.

Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by Happy
I can tell you that my husband has a Freedom that is almost 6 years old, 22K credit line but is denied to upgrade to a Visa Signature despite the front line phone rep cheerfully said that should not be any problem and just needed to submit a request. Yet, he got a letter of denial without any reason stated. This was 6 months ago. 18 months ago he requested the upgrade via SM, and was denied.

Who knows what is the real reason or lack thereof, behind it? In my husband's case, it definitely is not the issue of credit line, nor the history of the card.
There's a way to get around this issue by requesting product change to Sapphire. You have to ask for the Sapphire to be a Visa Signature and they will do the two changes. Once you have the Sapphire you can call to do a product change back to Freedom at which point you already have a Visa Signature and the Freedom account will continue to be a Visa Signature. Good luck.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by halamadrid
There's a way to get around this issue by requesting product change to Sapphire. You have to ask for the Sapphire to be a Visa Signature and they will do the two changes. Once you have the Sapphire you can call to do a product change back to Freedom at which point you already have a Visa Signature and the Freedom account will continue to be a Visa Signature. Good luck.
That's an interesting workaround. Have you personally tried this?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
That's an interesting workaround. Have you personally tried this?
Yes
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB

I was able to get World Elite with the Citi Dividend Platinum card after a brief phone call a couple of years back. So there are non-fee cards out there that can upgrade to a World Elite.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes
Did you do this via phone calls or via SMs?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Did you do this via phone calls or via SMs?
Everything was done over the phone. It actually wasn't my original plan, but it sort of worked out. I was happy with Freedom, but wanted to get the Signature card so I tried the PC to Sapphire while at the same time asking if it could also be turned to a Visa Signature. The agent said no problem and was the one that told me that I could go back to the Freedom card within 30 days if I wasn't happy, which is what I did. When calling to do the change back the agent confirmed that the card would remain a signature card. No hassle whatsoever on any of the calls.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:34 am

I sent an SM a few weeks ago asking to change my Freedom MC to a Visa Signature. Chase called me a couple days later to clarify what I wanted and told me it would be no problem. They're sending me the new card now.

ETA: Received the new card and it is indeed a Visa Signature.

Last edited by AggieTraveler; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.