Search

UA Explorer - keep or downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

UA Explorer - keep or downgrade?

I have a UA Explorer as well as an old UA Visa (with no AF), and a CSP
My wife also has a UA Explorer and a CSP
We now primarily use the CSP cards since they are more versatile and we can always transfer to our MP accounts if needed.
Is there any reason not to cancel my Explorer card?
If we travel on the same reservations, can't we both benefit from her free bag and club benefits? And I can use my old Visa to keep my MP account active.
Hope that made sense
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by srosenblum
I have a UA Explorer as well as an old UA Visa (with no AF), and a CSP
My wife also has a UA Explorer and a CSP
We now primarily use the CSP cards since they are more versatile and we can always transfer to our MP accounts if needed.
Is there any reason not to cancel my Explorer card?
If we travel on the same reservations, can't we both benefit from her free bag and club benefits? And I can use my old Visa to keep my MP account active.
Hope that made sense
Why do you want to cancel the card? There are a few reasons to keep the card active:

1. Having a larger credit limit and low utilization improves your FICO score.
2. Having a longer credit history (canceling old cards will eventually decrease the average length of credit accounts) also improves your FICO score.
3. Can't hurt to have the flexibility of another credit card, in case of emergency, or if you lose another card or it gets stolen. Generally a minor concern unless something really bad happens, but I'll list it here anyway.

If you are concerned about the annual fee, contact Chase and tell them you are considering canceling the card. You should get two additional options:

1. They might give you a mileage bonus or annual fee waiver to keep you around.
2. They could change your account to a non-annual fee card.

Either way, you're a winner!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:19 am

Is it general consensus that you should never cancel a card unless you are "trading" it for a new one?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by cornellfOo
Is it general consensus that you should never cancel a card unless you are "trading" it for a new one?
I don't know that it's a general consensus, since each person's situation is going to be different. If you're considering canceling, you just have to look at your own financial picture to see how it would affect you.

If your card provider refuses to downgrade your card to a no-annual-fee option, then that would be a reason to cancel. Some issuers (I think Chase is one) don't like it if you have too many cards from them, and they won't give you a new card.

You just have to look at the costs and benefits of canceling. In my opinion, typically your best bet is to keep the card and try to avoid the annual fee. If you can't do that, then you have to look at other options.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Why do you want to cancel the card? There are a few reasons to keep the card active:

1. Having a larger credit limit and low utilization improves your FICO score.
2. Having a longer credit history (canceling old cards will eventually decrease the average length of credit accounts) also improves your FICO score.
3. Can't hurt to have the flexibility of another credit card, in case of emergency, or if you lose another card or it gets stolen. Generally a minor concern unless something really bad happens, but I'll list it here anyway.

If you are concerned about the annual fee, contact Chase and tell them you are considering canceling the card. You should get two additional options:

1. They might give you a mileage bonus or annual fee waiver to keep you around.
2. They could change your account to a non-annual fee card.

Either way, you're a winner!
Have similar dilemma. Although I don't have a UA CC like the OP, just my DH does. Thanks for your post.

Problem is DH is overseas and won't be home in time to chat with Chase retention around the anniversary date. Not sure the same clout will be applied in June after the AF has billed.

The card is only a year old so it actually drags down the FICO senior averaging. It does have a $6k CL so that is important. Except that I would love to see my DH apply for a CSP instead. He has a Freedom, already.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Have similar dilemma. Although I don't have a UA CC like the OP, just my DH does. Thanks for your post.

Problem is DH is overseas and won't be home in time to chat with Chase retention around the anniversary date. Not sure the same clout will be applied in June after the AF has billed.

The card is only a year old so it actually drags down the FICO senior averaging. It does have a $6k CL so that is important. Except that I would love to see my DH apply for a CSP instead. He has a Freedom, already.
Is he able to just call up Chase and authorize you to speak for him on the account? That would be just as useful.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Keep UA Explorer or CSP?

Is there any reason to keep both UA Explorer and CSP?
Transfer my UA CL to CSP and cancel the UA?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Yes, there are reasons to keep the MPE. You can read about them here: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...edit-card.aspx
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Chase has been offering 10K bonus miles retention for UA Explorer card. However, they have not been offering any decent retention offers for CSP. Check the Chase retention thread for details. Also, if you spend 25K in a year, there is a 10K bonus for UA card. My UA card came up for renewal a few months back and got the 10K retention and will soon get the 10K spend bonus as well.
If your primary usage of UR points is for united, it might make more sense to keep the UA card.

Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
considering they've gutted the united chart, and your CSP transfers 1:1 with united AND you get 2.14 for travel, I see little reason to keep the MPE unless you fly united often enough to use the priority boarding (dont value this much) or free checked bag (I rarely check bags). If you fly united a lot, you probably have status and dont need the card benefits.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
If you fly united a lot, you probably have status and dont need the card benefits.
One card-exclusive benefit is CPU on award tickets.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Depends on spending habits. I have both cards, but since ~80% of my spending on CSP is travel or dining, and my "every day" purchases are on a AMEX SPG, I find no reason to keep my UA explorer upon cancellation time

But if you are a frequent UA traveler where a CPU on award tickets is something you use, then that's worth the annual fee. If you have no status on United and will make use of the free checked bag more than once, it will be worth it.

Otherwise, I can't see a compelling reason to keep it vs CSP
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Try doing some dummy award searches that fit your travel patterns while signed in at united.com, and then do the same searches while not signed in. For me, many if not most of the seats from my airport to UA hubs are only available in XN inventory and therefore only available if I have the UA card or UA status. You can downgrade the CSP to CS, get a retention bonus on the UA card and open an Ink card to keep your US points flexible.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Try doing some dummy award searches that fit your travel patterns while signed in at united.com, and then do the same searches while not signed in. For me, many if not most of the seats from my airport to UA hubs are only available in XN inventory and therefore only available if I have the UA card or UA status. You can downgrade the CSP to CS, get a retention bonus on the UA card and open an Ink card to keep your US points flexible.
Same here. I have the UA MP Explorer card and the wife doesn't and I see a lot more Saver inventory than she does. Plus, this card provides primary CDW coverage for car rentals. ^
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:10 pm

Pretty much covered above. Benefits of the UMPE aren't available on the CSP. CSP allows for transfers to MP and better earn rates on certain spend categories than the UMPE. The CSP can also be used to transfer better earns on spend on the Freedom. I find all 3 useful.

Your call. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.