Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 am

I have a chase checking account. If I close it right now and open one again in January next month, I should get the checking account bonus again, right?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
I have a chase checking account. If I close it right now and open one again in January next month, I should get the checking account bonus again, right?
Anyone?

Wow FT has been so dead lately.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:59 am

Anyone?

Wow FT has been so dead lately.
What do terms and conditions say?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
If you do keep your Chase checking account, keep paper statements on as there are periodic $100-$200 savings bonuses out there. Every couple of years I seem to get one of them.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:31 pm

You're limited in two ways:
  • One bonus per calendar year
  • Cannot get a bonus if you have closed an account in the past 90 days

So if you closed it now, you would not get it if you opened in January due to the second rule.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:45 am

I went in a Chase branch yesterday and took advantage of the sign up bonus. I specifically asked the manager if I could get UR points instead of cash. He confirmed it's not possible.

My bonus offer was -
$300 for checking account with direct deposit. Must keep the account open for 6 months
$150 for savings account with a $10,000 deposit for 90 days

The branch manager who helped me was extremely friendly. The process took about 45 minutes because of the paperwork but he was pleasant. I say that's not bad for $450!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by aujusco
I went in a Chase branch yesterday and took advantage of the sign up bonus. I specifically asked the manager if I could get UR points instead of cash. He confirmed it's not possible.

My bonus offer was -
$300 for checking account with direct deposit. Must keep the account open for 6 months
$150 for savings account with a $10,000 deposit for 90 days

The branch manager who helped me was extremely friendly. The process took about 45 minutes because of the paperwork but he was pleasant. I say that's not bad for $450!
That checking account bonus is best in show (assuming it was for a total checking account) but there are saving bonuses that are regularly $300 - might have been worth holding out.

Did you just rock up in branch to get that offer? I assume you couldn't do the initial funding of $500 using a credit card like you can online?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Did you just rock up in branch to get that offer? I assume you couldn't do the initial funding of $500 using a credit card like you can online?
I got the offer via a mailer. I'm a long time Chase customer - have the Chase Freedom card for over 13 years, mortgage for 10 years (but that house got sold last Dec), and Chase Ink since 2013. I have been receiving these mailers for a while now but the $450 was the biggest I've seen so I took advantage of it.

I wrote checks for both accounts' initial funding ($25 for checking and $10,000 for savings). I didn't ask if credit card was an acceptable form of funding.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:01 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by italdesign
I would like to get FT's perspective. Thoughts and experience? Should I churn? Or does having multi-year bank accounts open actually help when applying for their credit cards?
In my experience, it does not seem to matter whether or not you have a checking account with Chase when applying for their cards. Your credit score is king. Between my wife and myself, we have eight cards with Chase. No checking account.

However, this may change. I just received an offer in the mail from them: $300 bonus for opening up a Total Checking account and setting up direct deposit. This after being lazy and not taking advantage of the previous two offers of $200 and $250, respectively.

I didn't think their checking account offer would go higher than $250 but to my surprise, it did. Kind of makes me want to wait for $350
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:21 pm

does anyone know if one direct deposit would suffice to meet the bonus requirements?

I just plan on maintaining a balance there instead of just recurring deposits
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by joogle
does anyone know if one direct deposit would suffice to meet the bonus requirements?

I just plan on maintaining a balance there instead of just recurring deposits
should be fine. i did a one-time DD with serve and then kept the minimum balance to avoid the monthly fee.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
B of A ACH Transfer ---> Chase Premiere Plus - Will this Count as a DD?

Originally Posted by lollertank
should be fine. i did a one-time DD with serve and then kept the minimum balance to avoid the monthly fee.
I just did my first "direct Deposit" by using ACH and paying the $3 fee from Bank of America (rather than using the free email method of transfer) to transfer into my Chase Premiere Plus Checking.

Are there any recent data points on if this specific method will work?

When checking my chase account how this transfer looks, in the "Type" column it shows as "Incoming Wire Transfer", with text description including "FEDWIRE CREDIT VIA: BANK OF AMERICA"

Is this what "direct deposits" from employers show as?

TIA for any help provided. ^
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flymax77
I just did my first "direct Deposit" by using ACH and paying the $3 fee from Bank of America (rather than using the free email method of transfer) to transfer into my Chase Premiere Plus Checking.

Are there any recent data points on if this specific method will work?

When checking my chase account how this transfer looks, in the "Type" column it shows as "Incoming Wire Transfer", with text description including "FEDWIRE CREDIT VIA: BANK OF AMERICA"

Is this what "direct deposits" from employers show as?

TIA for any help provided. ^
No it should show as an ACH Credit. Be aware that Chase might ding you with an incoming wire transfer fee if it was truly processed as a wire, though I can't figure out why. Did you go into the branch to do this instead of doing it through BoA online banking?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:18 am

Question

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
No it should show as an ACH Credit. Be aware that Chase might ding you with an incoming wire transfer fee if it was truly processed as a wire, though I can't figure out why. Did you go into the branch to do this instead of doing it through BoA online banking?
no, i did it through online banking.

what is the best way to do ACH so it shows as a Direct deposit?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:25 pm

Question

Originally Posted by flymax77
no, i did it through online banking.

what is the best way to do ACH so it shows as a Direct deposit?
Update - yes, I was charged an incoming $15.00 wire fee, but online message was able to easily waive it for me and get the credit back.

So it looks like this B of A --> Chase via ACH transfer is not going to count as a direct deposit, since I definitely was charged a "wire transfer fee".

How are people "ACH" transferring into Chase and getting it to count as a direct deposit? Trying to avoid any further headaches, any tips would be greatly appreciated. ^

Also, I know there are reports of Serve working for a Direct Deposit, but I don't have a Serve account (currently have bluebird) and am looking for a traditional bank to ACH from into Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.