Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by roki
This thread is freaking me out.

I hold the Freedom, Southwest, UA MPE, CSP, and recently acquired the Ink. I dumped $3K on the Ink in MS (AP/Serve) right away. The rest I'm hitting legitimately. I also recently opened a Chase Total Checking ($300 promo), and funded it from a linked Citi account.

I've had the Freedom for 4 years, the UA card for 3 years, the SW and CSP for 2 years, and the Ink for about 3 weeks. The new checking was opened a month ago. I only have ~45K UR points in my account, but will be getting the ~75K from the Ink offer. I'm not at all convinced I want to put them into UA, but I'd be scared to be sitting on 120K UR points. Am I being unjustly paranoid?

Been running $1k/mo through serve on my CSP for 6 months. I have a few recurring bills set up on the CSP, and I use the Freedom strictly for 5x categories. UA/SW cards are sitting unused, primarily. No MO activity or odd transfers in/out on my checking. Just initial funding from Citi and split my DD to go into it. No GC/staples purchases on my Ink, either.

If this really freaks you out enough to do something about it, then lay low for a few months and see what happens. Don't deposit money orders into the checking account, and cut back on the MS. If you are really serious, then stop MS for a while.

It takes a lot of MS to get a vacation paid for. If you go to the MS forum, there are a lot of very organized people over there. For example, if the goal is to pay for airfare and hotel through UR points either transferred or through the mall for 2 people, then that could easily be $50,000 - $100,000 of MS for an international trip. Depending on the class of airfare and type of hotel, you could need hundreds of thousands of UR points for that.

It's good that you are doing your research. You need to figure out what you are personally comfortable with and act accordingly.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:46 pm

I've been hired again!

So, Chase "fired" me last September....closed all my credit card accounts (6 total). I think it was for a combination of buying tons of Chase Visa GC's and the whole HIGC fiasco last year. Luckily, I had all points transferred out of UR to Hyatt before the shutdown(s).

For the heck of it, I included a couple Chase cards in my quarterly "app-o-rama" starting last December. Surprising, I was "approved" each time for at least one card BUT...before the cards were ever activated I'd get a letter saying something like..."negative relationship with Chase" or something to that effect. Well, I decided to apply for the Ink Bold and British Airways card in my most recent round of applications and, was approved (as usual). Then the cards came a few days later..they weren't shut down. So I spent some money that met the minimum spend requirement for the bonuses...accounts still open. Finally, the statement closed on both cards and I got the bonus points/miles...immediately transferred toe UR to Hyatt and BA should be safe where they are. Accounts are still both open...more than a month now. So, those of you who have been "blackballed" there's hope that you don't have to wait years to be back on good terms with them.

Now, they could close the accounts again tomorrow...but I've already moved points out so I'd good with that.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by frogdog51
I've been hired again!

So, Chase "fired" me last September....closed all my credit card accounts (6 total). I think it was for a combination of buying tons of Chase Visa GC's and the whole HIGC fiasco last year. Luckily, I had all points transferred out of UR to Hyatt before the shutdown(s).

For the heck of it, I included a couple Chase cards in my quarterly "app-o-rama" starting last December. Surprising, I was "approved" each time for at least one card BUT...before the cards were ever activated I'd get a letter saying something like..."negative relationship with Chase" or something to that effect. Well, I decided to apply for the Ink Bold and British Airways card in my most recent round of applications and, was approved (as usual). Then the cards came a few days later..they weren't shut down. So I spent some money that met the minimum spend requirement for the bonuses...accounts still open. Finally, the statement closed on both cards and I got the bonus points/miles...immediately transferred toe UR to Hyatt and BA should be safe where they are. Accounts are still both open...more than a month now. So, those of you who have been "blackballed" there's hope that you don't have to wait years to be back on good terms with them.

Now, they could close the accounts again tomorrow...but I've already moved points out so I'd good with that.
That's great to hear -- both for you and for so many of us that would like a second chance with Chase.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
Frogdog,

Congrats! 12-month relationship revitalization is shorter than other posters have mentioned.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was planning to MS $10K next month at Target for one of my Chase cards (I did spend $10K in the last year, half MS). After reading the last 2 pages, I'm not sure it's a good idea.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 am

Just wanted to come back and update you guys with a few interesting data points relating to my account closings. As an update, Chase closed my mom's, gf's and my checking accounts in late Sept/early Oct. This was followed closely by the closing of CCs for all of us.

However, not all of our CCs were closed (though they yet may be; particularly my Business card per some of the posts above). Here are the interesting bits and pieces:

Me
1. All of my personal cards were closed, except for my Chase Freedom card. This is my oldest card with Chase or with any bank. I have had it for probably around 10 years now. Really don't know why this one wasn't closed (especially in light of the fact that both my mom and gf also both had this card with similar tenures and both had their's cancelled).
2. My Chase Ink card hasn't been closed yet, though based on the posts in this thread I do believe it is only a matter of time for this card as the Business card closings seem to be lagged a few months behind the personal card closings (sort of like the personal card closings were lagged about a month behind the checking account closings).

Mom:
1. All of my mom's personal cards were closed (she didn't have any active business cards at the time of account closing). What is interesting here is that in Sept (which is after we got the checking account closing notice, but before her CCs were cancelled) I had applied and was approved of CSP for her. After getting the notice of checking account closing and the realization that the CCs would soon follow, I quickly completed the minimum spend, received the bonus and transferred it out. However, the really interesting piece of information here is that when Chase cancelled all of my mom's personal cards in early October this one was not cancelled and remains active and in nearly daily use to date.

GF
1. All of my gf's personal cards were cancelled.
2. Similar to what happened with my mom's CSP happened with my gf except on the business side. In Sept (and after the checking account closing notice was received but prior to her CCs being closed down) I applied for a Chase Ink card for her (with the 70k promo), was approved, quickly met the spend requirements, received and transferred the points earlier this week. So, just like the CSP card I got for my mom this card was not included in the wave of card cancellations that my GF and mom both went through for all of their other cards in early October. I am not sure if this card wasn't cancelled for the same reason as my mom's CSP, or if it's just a matter similar to my business card still being active due to the lag between personal and business CC cancellations (I guess time will tell on this point).

Overall, I think the most important lesson to be learned here is that after receiving a notice from Chase stating they will be closing your checking account, it is still possible to apply for, be approved and receive the bonus for their CC products AND it may also be possible to have these newly applied for/received CC products survive the subsequent CC closures.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure to get all of the details and peculiarities down for each one of us. If there are any developments with any of our remaining Chase cards I will be sure to post updates.

Last edited by adavydov7; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:08 am

^^ Thanks for the update.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:24 am

I added a list of common questions to the Wikipost. I'm not sure but I thought this might help new posters in the thread.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
Suspended

I'd like to reiterate that anyone upset about their account being closed should contact the CFPB (link is in the wiki).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by greggarious
I'd like to reiterate that anyone upset about their account being closed should contact the CFPB (link is in the wiki).
For what? If you have truly filed a complaint with CFPB, you will know how useless it is.

Beside - most people get their accounts closed because of MS. You are gaming the system. So what is the chance that you will win??
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
For what? If you have truly filed a complaint with CFPB, you will know how useless it is.

Beside - most people get their accounts closed because of MS. You are gaming the system. So what is the chance that you will win??
To add to that comment... any business can simply choose to stop doing business with you. No reason needed.

If they take your points, you may have rights to the points, but, that would be it. The gov't can't force Chase to work with you.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by adavydov7
Just wanted to come back and update you guys with a few interesting data points relating to my account closings. As an update, Chase closed my mom's, gf's and my checking accounts in late Sept/early Oct. This was followed closely by the closing of CCs for all of us.

However, not all of our CCs were closed (though they yet may be; particularly my Business card per some of the posts above). Here are the interesting bits and pieces:

Me
1. All of my personal cards were closed, except for my Chase Freedom card. This is my oldest card with Chase or with any bank. I have had it for probably around 10 years now. Really don't know why this one wasn't closed (especially in light of the fact that both my mom and gf also both had this card with similar tenures and both had their's cancelled).
2. My Chase Ink card hasn't been closed yet, though based on the posts in this thread I do believe it is only a matter of time for this card as the Business card closings seem to be lagged a few months behind the personal card closings (sort of like the personal card closings were lagged about a month behind the checking account closings).

Mom:
1. All of my mom's personal cards were closed (she didn't have any active business cards at the time of account closing). What is interesting here is that in Sept (which is after we got the checking account closing notice, but before her CCs were cancelled) I had applied and was approved of CSP for her. After getting the notice of checking account closing and the realization that the CCs would soon follow, I quickly completed the minimum spend, received the bonus and transferred it out. However, the really interesting piece of information here is that when Chase cancelled all of my mom's personal cards in early October this one was not cancelled and remains active and in nearly daily use to date.

GF
1. All of my gf's personal cards were cancelled.
2. Similar to what happened with my mom's CSP happened with my gf except on the business side. In Sept (and after the checking account closing notice was received but prior to her CCs being closed down) I applied for a Chase Ink card for her (with the 70k promo), was approved, quickly met the spend requirements, received and transferred the points earlier this week. So, just like the CSP card I got for my mom this card was not included in the wave of card cancellations that my GF and mom both went through for all of their other cards in early October. I am not sure if this card wasn't cancelled for the same reason as my mom's CSP, or if it's just a matter similar to my business card still being active due to the lag between personal and business CC cancellations (I guess time will tell on this point).

Overall, I think the most important lesson to be learned here is that after receiving a notice from Chase stating they will be closing your checking account, it is still possible to apply for, be approved and receive the bonus for their CC products AND it may also be possible to have these newly applied for/received CC products survive the subsequent CC closures.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure to get all of the details and peculiarities down for each one of us. If there are any developments with any of our remaining Chase cards I will be sure to post updates.
How did your mom and girlfriend react after the closure of bank accounts / credit cards?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by dadud3r
How did your mom and girlfriend react after the closure of bank accounts / credit cards?
Both were pretty pissed off at Chase (just like I was)...mom transferred all of her investable assets away from their money management platform, and I rolled over a pretty sizable 401k from a prior employer. All in all, this was just a major inconvenience and hassle. None of us will ever have any sort of relationship with Chase where they would stand to benefit (depository accounts, money management, loans), instead we will bide our time and then troll them for every conceivable CC bonus imaginable a few years down the road

If you are wondering if my my and/or gf were pissed at me or at the game we play. They were not...they understood that there was no illegal activity going on in their accounts and this was just Chase likely using a bullsh!t excuse to shutdown their accounts because they weren't additive to the bottom line.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:04 pm

Has anyone who has gotten their Chase cc closed been able to recoup their annual fee? I had mine closed several months ago, but I had already paid the 395. I just stumbled across this thread and it just dawned on me that maybe I should've fought for my annual fee?! As a note, I did not MS on this cc, but it was closed for adding AUs.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by subdawg
Has anyone who has gotten their Chase cc closed been able to recoup their annual fee? I had mine closed several months ago, but I had already paid the 395. I just stumbled across this thread and it just dawned on me that maybe I should've fought for my annual fee?! As a note, I did not MS on this cc, but it was closed for adding AUs.
Yes, I got my Presidential card fee back, paid a few months earlier, and I called to get my Ink business annual fee back which had been paid one month earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.