Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by dsauch
· by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit
card accounts for the sole purpose of generating
rewards

ink and others
https://www.chase.com/ccpmweb/shared...ogramrules.pdf
Eeeks!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:03 pm

snip...
› if we suspect that you’ve misused the program in any way, for
example:
One of the other threads - right or wrong - said misusing the program includes...

-making large purchases and paying off the balance before the cycle
-making large amounts of purchases on the bonus items (e.g. gas stations)

If true, I am 100% guilty of both. But, I strongly object to the term "misused the program". Sorry Chase that I am responsible and payoff my credit cards.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Just got shut down by Chase. I was unaware of this thread, and I was stunned. Had 5 pers and One biz ccard with them - two of which I've had for over 23 years.

Anyone have an idea what this will do to my credit score...which is otherwise very high? My age of accounts is going to take a hit, since all my other cards have been within the last two years.

Also...how bad does it look on your credit report to see "acct closed by credit issuer"? When I called Chase, I got nowhere, just like everybody else. The rep said it will be listed as "closed by credit issuer"...I said geez, after 23+ years of never a late payment, that sounds awful. She said...well, your record will still reflect that you've never been late on a payment. Yeah...thanks for that.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Related post:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...wn/#more-92539
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by thegasguru
Just got shut down by Chase. I was unaware of this thread, and I was stunned. Had 5 pers and One biz ccard with them - two of which I've had for over 23 years.

Anyone have an idea what this will do to my credit score...which is otherwise very high? My age of accounts is going to take a hit, since all my other cards have been within the last two years.

Also...how bad does it look on your credit report to see "acct closed by credit issuer"? When I called Chase, I got nowhere, just like everybody else. The rep said it will be listed as "closed by credit issuer"...I said geez, after 23+ years of never a late payment, that sounds awful. She said...well, your record will still reflect that you've never been late on a payment. Yeah...thanks for that.
Probably useless speculation here, but you said Amazon recently shut some of your accounts. Were you using Chase CC for any of those accounts?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:55 am

Any clue what triggered it?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
this initially came to my attention from a blog - new changes to T&C of the cards:
› if we suspect that you’ve misused the program in any way, for
example:
· by buying or selling points
· by moving or transferring points to an ineligible third
party or account
· by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit
card accounts for the sole purpose of generating
rewards

• We may temporarily prohibit you from earning points, using points
you’ve already earned, or using any features of the program.

ink and others
https://www.chase.com/ccpmweb/shared...ogramrules.pdf
Their new T&Cs make me cringe. Why else would someone maintain a rewards credit card other than to earn rewards? Otherwise we'd just use a debit card and for situations where a CC is advisable, use any old CC. I suppose using it only for large amounts on bonus categories might be more what they have in mind, but still.

The FICO score calculation doesn't care whether an account was closed by the customer or the issuer. Someone manually reviewing your report could see a notation that it was closed by issuer, if that matters to them.

Your closed older accounts don't disappear immediately - they remain for something like 7 years or so, IIRC. And while they're still on there, will continue to be a part of your average account age.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Slickw
Probably useless speculation here, but you said Amazon recently shut some of your accounts. Were you using Chase CC for any of those accounts?
Nope.

Originally Posted by trouble747
Any clue what triggered it?
Initial letter came from the checking account division, but all the credit cards were cancelled shortly thereafter, including my wife's. Reading this thread, I get the feeling that they've stepped up their purge efforts on MS players. I did what for me was pretty minimal MS with Chase, since I had several CCs with them that I like. Maybe less than $3K a month in MO into checking, but no MS spending on the credit cards. I haven't tapped the 5x UR in over a year, and I never once maxed out the annual $50K UR limit.

What triggered it? It's only a guess, since they won't tell me anything, but they sent me solicitations for interest free for a year balance transfers constantly, and I went ahead and did one. I'm guessing that triggered some sort or review. Even though I had basically zero balance on all the other cards, and even though that balance transfer represented less than a 10% credit line utilization with Chase - and far less than that if you include my CL from my other CCs, and even though my credit score is around 750, and even though my income is very high....they cancelled everything. I'm assuming that they have nearly zero tolerance for any activity that's outside the norm, and I'm guessing that the occasional MO deposit, and the past history (from over a year ago) of receiving several different payments in a month to a credit card looked suspicious to them. But Geez...it really was pretty minimal, at least in my opinion. I really wish they'd do more of an FR like Amex does, so I'd have a chance to discuss things with them and let them be assured that I'm not a money launderer, but apparently that's not how they do business.

I'm still pretty stunned at this whole thing. When I went into my local branch to have one of the reps call Chase for me (he got nowhere, and corporate wouldn't give him any info either), he was likewise stunned. He said "you're the kind of customer I work all day long to find, and I can't believe they don't want to do business with you".

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The FICO score calculation doesn't care whether an account was closed by the customer or the issuer. Someone manually reviewing your report could see a notation that it was closed by issuer, if that matters to them.

Your closed older accounts don't disappear immediately - they remain for something like 7 years or so, IIRC. And while they're still on there, will continue to be a part of your average account age.
Well that's a relief. I can live without Chase - there are plenty of banks (and private banking reps, for that matter) who want to do business with me. But to lose not 1 but 2 credit cards with a 24 year history of flawless payment and utilization history - that's what hurts. I have an excellent credit score, and just because Chase has a premature trigger finger, I don't want my credit score to suffer.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:37 am

Initial letter came from the checking account division, but all the credit cards were cancelled shortly thereafter, including my wife's. Reading this thread, I get the feeling that they've stepped up their purge efforts on MS players. I did what for me was pretty minimal MS with Chase, since I had several CCs with them that I like. Maybe less than $3K a month in MO into checking, but no MS spending on the credit cards. I haven't tapped the 5x UR in over a year, and I never once maxed out the annual $50K UR limit.
Bolding for emphasis on my part, however from reading this thread it seems like a common theme seems to be from the Checking side of things, which causes a severing of ties on all Chase products. Sorry for your loss.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:40 am

I should also add that I had over 400,000 UR points in my account. Not sure if or how that might have influenced Chase's decision, but they did not cancel my UR points. My cancellation letter said I had one month before the checking account was closed, although the credit cards were all deactivated immediately. Still, I was able to log onto the web site - where all I saw was a msg in red next to each account that said "this account is no longer active, etc etc". From the web site I was able to go to the Ultimate Rewards site, and successfully transferred out all of my >400K UR points to other hotel/airline programs. I didn't want to have to be forced into choosing which programs speculatively in advance, but obviously that's better than forfeiting the points altogether.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:12 am

Nope.

What triggered it? It's only a guess, since they won't tell me anything, but they sent me solicitations for interest free for a year balance transfers constantly, and I went ahead and did one. I'm guessing that triggered some sort or review. Even though I had basically zero balance on all the other cards, and even though that balance transfer represented less than a 10% credit line utilization with Chase - and far less than that if you include my CL from my other CCs, and even though my credit score is around 750, and even though my income is very high....they cancelled everything. I'm assuming that they have nearly zero tolerance for any activity that's outside the norm, and I'm guessing that the occasional MO deposit, and the past history (from over a year ago) of receiving several different payments in a month to a credit card looked suspicious to them. But Geez...it really was pretty minimal, at least in my opinion. I really wish they'd do more of an FR like Amex does, so I'd have a chance to discuss things with them and let them be assured that I'm not a money launderer, but apparently that's not how they do business.

It seems to always start at the checking account division. Did you do ACH from/to other banks? PayPal? What about direct deposit? Thanks for all the data points.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk
Bolding for emphasis on my part, however from reading this thread it seems like a common theme seems to be from the Checking side of things, which causes a severing of ties on all Chase products. Sorry for your loss.
Yeah, that's my take on it too, and that's why I've gone out of my way to add my data point. My hope is that other MSers get the word that Chase is looking to purge. If they're willing to gut me, I can't help but feel they'll jettison anyone.

I sure wish I had known about their itchy trigger finger. It would have been so easy in my case to avoid MOs in the checking account. The amounts I moved didn't amount to any return worth talking about, and the cards were a lot more valuable to me than the piddly MS amount I did. But honestly...not having read this thread, I didn't think I was at any risk with Chase. I really thought I was staying well under their radar.

Oh well. Let it be a warning.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by skibum3d
It seems to always start at the checking account division. Did you do ACH from/to other banks? PayPal? What about direct deposit? Thanks for all the data points.
Can't recall if I ever did ACH to or from Chase. If I did, it was very rare. No PayPal. Only direct deposit was a monthly AP deposit.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:20 pm

Red flags: using all rewards in one account, closing?

This is a scary thread as we have been slowly building on our 3 yr old Sapphire card for a round trip to Istanbul.(Need over 200,000+ in 2015). Just got the Ink Business bonus and we keep the United Card for travel with limited activity. Closed the Marriot & Amtrack recently to reduce total Chase credit so I could reapply for British Air which I had 3 years ago. (Obviously no new apps until we know the real rules). While Chase can close anyone I do not see how they can reach back to take rewards you earned after accepting their original terms a year or two ago (Class action anyone?). Besides blaming greedy bloggers who abuse the system it almost looks like Chase is cleaning house to avoid liability for giving almost everyone in the country 50,000 United miles at once. I am a little worried the new Ink card may arouse their suspicions but if I use all the those rewards would that be a red flag for them to target my old Sapphire award balance? Comment....
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't find the link anymore, but there is a class action against Chase for this by this law firm:

http://www.triefandolk.com/category/jpmorgan-chase/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.