Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
Although, I don't see how this is any different than AMEX issuing a company credit card and the company going under...
Different risk profile/monitoring/checking for personal vs business cards?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
It seems that most shut downs include all accounts, as Chase will sever the banking relationship.
I was shut down last month (mostly on using Ink Plus and using Walmart Bill Pay I am assuming). They closed my checking account too. I stopped doing the same with my wife's cards and was staying away from hitting any bonus spend.
Well lo and behold, her chase cards and checking account was shut down too.

Is this a lifetime ban or is there any hope to apply for some chase cards 3-4 years down the line?

Just looking for data points.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ketelone
I was shut down last month (mostly on using Ink Plus and using Walmart Bill Pay I am assuming). They closed my checking account too. I stopped doing the same with my wife's cards and was staying away from hitting any bonus spend.
Well lo and behold, her chase cards and checking account was shut down too.

Is this a lifetime ban or is there any hope to apply for some chase cards 3-4 years down the line?

Just looking for data points.
1) Would you mind to give a bit more info on your spend / payment pattern on the Ink Plus, like $ charged, frequency of payments, and for how long you were doing that... So it would help others better manage the risk.

2) Were your wife an AU on some of your cards or you are AU on hers? Did you have JT bank accounts?

3) Chase does not ban people for life if the closure is not due to discharge of debts - i.e. no forgiven debt and Chase is not out of any money.
Seems people were able to get back on the good side between 12 to 24 months per the past data points. Of course things can always change.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Happy
1) Would you mind to give a bit more info on your spend / payment pattern on the Ink Plus, like $ charged, frequency of payments, and for how long you were doing that... So it would help others better manage the risk.

2) Were your wife an AU on some of your cards or you are AU on hers? Did you have JT bank accounts?

3) Chase does not ban people for life if the closure is not due to discharge of debts - i.e. no forgiven debt and Chase is not out of any money.
Seems people were able to get back on the good side between 12 to 24 months per the past data points. Of course things can always change.
Good to hear of some hope-- but with the Case 5/24 will be very difficult to get cards ,as many will apply at other banks etc and will do more than one card every 5-6 months --though if all the issuers of cards continue with time restrictions --just may not be as big a problem
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
Chase shutdown

1) I was doing a lot of bill pay per month. 4-5 bill payment per month, month after month in Walmart bill pay. for about 5-6 month.

2) Yes I was an AU on my wife's ink card. After my ink got shut down, I stopped doing bonus spend (staples) in my wife's card and stopped doing bill pay also and only did some small legitimate spend. I started thinking that i had already done 45K in my wife's card in the 9 months and maybe a good idea to do some non-bonus spend for remaining 3 months and did only a 2200$ purchase in simon mall. all her chase cards got shut down 4 days later.

No joint checking/savings account on Chase. Neither me nor my wife have deposited a single MO in either of our chase account in at least 3 years.

3) No. Chase did not lose any money in the sense, I paid off all my credit card balances right away. I was able to successfully transfer all my UR balances (SQ and UA). Dropped the ball on draining my Chase checking account but they sent me a check within 10 days.

My biggest red flags i believe were
- too much bill pay (at least 3 payment per cycle and sometimes 4-5) in Walmart.

Even though I was doing close to 50K in office spending, 3 years in a row, I did quite a bit of non-bonus Manufactured spend too. close to 30-35K per year on the Ink Cards.

goes without saying, got too greedy and threw caution to the wind. Live and Learn i guess.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your guess probably is on target - too many bill pays per cycle. It does not even matter whether it is from WM or from other banks - it seems 4 payments (of any kind) in one cycle is the line in sand. Once it is over and for continuous periods, it triggers some analytical reviews.

AU charges a lot on a card when Primary holder is passive also threw a red flag when you really think about it. The shut down on your wife seems to be a common scenario across banks.

Originally Posted by ketelone
1) I was doing a lot of bill pay per month. 4-5 bill payment per month, month after month in Walmart bill pay. for about 5-6 month.

2) Yes I was an AU on my wife's ink card. After my ink got shut down, I stopped doing bonus spend (staples) in my wife's card and stopped doing bill pay also and only did some small legitimate spend. I started thinking that i had already done 45K in my wife's card in the 9 months and maybe a good idea to do some non-bonus spend for remaining 3 months and did only a 2200$ purchase in simon mall. all her chase cards got shut down 4 days later.

No joint checking/savings account on Chase. Neither me nor my wife have deposited a single MO in either of our chase account in at least 3 years.

3) No. Chase did not lose any money in the sense, I paid off all my credit card balances right away. I was able to successfully transfer all my UR balances (SQ and UA). Dropped the ball on draining my Chase checking account but they sent me a check within 10 days.

My biggest red flags i believe were
- too much bill pay (at least 3 payment per cycle and sometimes 4-5) in Walmart.

Even though I was doing close to 50K in office spending, 3 years in a row, I did quite a bit of non-bonus Manufactured spend too. close to 30-35K per year on the Ink Cards.

goes without saying, got too greedy and threw caution to the wind. Live and Learn i guess.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Good to hear of some hope-- but with the Case 5/24 will be very difficult to get cards ,as many will apply at other banks etc and will do more than one card every 5-6 months --though if all the issuers of cards continue with time restrictions --just may not be as big a problem
The 3 major players already have lots of restrictions in place
AMEX once a life time
Chase 5/24
Citi 24 months open or close

There are fresh DPs reporting BofA has become much more restrictive.

Barclays and US Bank have never been friendly.

So after the "travel hacking" went mainstream thanks to the internet, this is an inevitable outcome.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:22 am

Smile

The 3 major players already have lots of restrictions in place
AMEX once a life time
Chase 5/24
Citi 24 months open or close

There are fresh DPs reporting BofA has become much more restrictive.

Barclays and US Bank have never been friendly.

So after the "travel hacking" went mainstream thanks to the internet, this is an inevitable outcome.
Happy your so right

Amx -I had a personal plat maybe 2 years ago --- spring 2016 got invite to apply with no sign of once life time - read the t/c and re read it many many times - decided nothing to lose other than a pull or get card and not get points after spending --- pulled the trigger - got instant approval -- did spend and as soon as completed it ---points posted ----

this summer got another invite in mail for personal plat with no once life time "and" a e/m invite a month later with different RSVP all with an expire date of Oct 30-- my dilemma :

still have open the platinum card from spring , I will not cancel it - any thoughts on getting another platinum and bonus while still have a opened one? --

(now I am not in states and no MS - do not want to get card and find can not get the points )

all the invites are $5k get 50k
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:55 pm
jk2

Chase just closed my CC (Fairmont Visa), again. Opened single CC after last shutdown, met spending requirement very slow (very little MS). Paid my bills using linked checking account. I have no idea what went wrong. My only suggestion is due to small disputed charge I submitted with one merchant.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Chase just closed my CC (Fairmont Visa), again. Opened single CC after last shutdown, met spending requirement very slow (very little MS). Paid my bills using linked checking account. I have no idea what went wrong. My only suggestion is due to small disputed charge I submitted with one merchant.
You bring eyes to look at your history with Chase and someone realized you have been shut down in the past (and more than once, right?) and view you have a history of "unsatisfactory relationship".

What is the nature of the dispute?
How much is the amount?
Did you file it online or over the phone?

IIRC someone reported Citi shut down his accounts also from a dispute. Citi viewed that as fraudulent activity committed by the cardholder versus duplicate charge he disputed. It was on the Citi shut down thread. The poster never came back to give more information, unfortunately.

This article is eye-opening to those think dispute is the way to go on anything they dont agree to pay. It carries consequence when cardholders file false dispute (not saying yours might be) as banks now are working with companies specialized in battling this misnomer "friendly fraud".

<<Here’s how a Tampa Bay company is trying to help businesses battle credit card fraud>>

http://www.tbo.com/news/business/her...raud-20161111/

Last edited by Happy; Nov 14, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:01 am
jk2

You bring eyes to look at your history with Chase and someone realized you have been shut down in the past (and more than once, right?) and view you have a history of "unsatisfactory relationship".

What is the nature of the dispute?
How much is the amount?
Did you file it online or over the phone?

IIRC someone reported Citi shut down his accounts also from a dispute. Citi viewed that as fraudulent activity committed by the cardholder versus duplicate charge he disputed. It was on the Citi shut down thread. The poster never came back to give more information, unfortunately.

This article is eye-opening to those think dispute is the way to go on anything they dont agree to pay. It carries consequence when cardholders file false dispute (not saying yours might be) as banks now are working with companies specialized in battling this misnomer "friendly fraud".

<<Heres how a Tampa Bay company is trying to help businesses battle credit card fraud>>

http://www.tbo.com/news/business/her...raud-20161111/

I purchased a water slide for my daughter online, but it was never delivered. The charge was ~$50, almost twice cheaper than on amazon. I waited for 2 weeks, tried to contact merchant, but his "store" wasn't available anymore. As luck would have it, I paid it with my Fairmont Visa. So, I have to file a dispute regarding this charge - I called Chase, explain everything. Few days ago, I received a letter from Chase, that states that merchant replied to them confirming that Charge was 'legal'. I had to call Chase again, talked to a stupid rep from India, and explained again, that charge may be legal, but merchant didn't send me anything. She "agreed" and told me to wait 30 days. A week later, my account is closed.

Now, it makes sense, because before my last shutdown, I also had to dispute a charge with Chase, but it was bigger amount. What a stupid bank.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I purchased a water slide for my daughter online, but it was never delivered. The charge was ~$50, almost twice cheaper than on amazon. I waited for 2 weeks, tried to contact merchant, but his "store" wasn't available anymore. As luck would have it, I paid it with my Fairmont Visa. So, I have to file a dispute regarding this charge - I called Chase, explain everything. Few days ago, I received a letter from Chase, that states that merchant replied to them confirming that Charge was 'legal'. I had to call Chase again, talked to a stupid rep from India, and explained again, that charge may be legal, but merchant didn't send me anything. She "agreed" and told me to wait 30 days. A week later, my account is closed.

Now, it makes sense, because before my last shutdown, I also had to dispute a charge with Chase, but it was bigger amount. What a stupid bank.
How long from 1st shut down to opening again 2nd chase accts?

first shut down was chkg and c.c.??
2nd shut down also chkg and c.c.??
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2

Anything that has a potential for dispute, many would just use AMEX instead of Chase or Citi.

Lesson 1 learned on filing dispute - use LETTER and send Certified - as in a letter you can list out the reasons and document your contact with the merchant.

Lesson 2 learned on ordering online - only order from merchants that the site offers customer protection. Doesn't AMZN offer some sort of protection on orders not fulfilled by AMZN? You then dispute with AMZN instead with your card.

Ironically Capital One actually is friendly to customers filing disputes despite it has a bad rap.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jk2
Was your first shutdown due to MS? I agree that getting eyes on your account post shutdown is what got you shutdown this time. After all of that, did the dispute even get resolved? They should still resolve the issue since you had a valid credit card account when you filed it. If not, cfpb them.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Was your first shutdown due to MS? I agree that getting eyes on your account post shutdown is what got you shutdown this time. After all of that, did the dispute even get resolved? They should still resolve the issue since you had a valid credit card account when you filed it. If not, cfpb them.
IIRC, OP was able to open a new card from 1st shut down in just over a year. The 2nd shut down caused by a dispute that of course brought eyes on the previous history. This would be the 3rd shut down, also triggered by a dispute. All previous DPs were in this thread.

Agree the dispute should still be resolved. The rest is another matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.