Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:27 pm
Pup

Originally Posted by jeanie
There is at least one or maybe more people on this board that have gotten a CSP Visa in the past, and got this card as a new product. I hope they follow up and post about whether they got the bonus or not.
Yes, please! My wife and I got CSP Visas about 18 months ago and cancelled them about 7 months ago. I'm tempted to try again with this product, but really don't want to waste the hard pulls and diverting 2x$3K spend, just to find out there's no bonus at the end.

If confirmation from a rep after receiving a card isn't reliable, I guess there's no way to find out before the completion of the $3k spend that the bonus won't be honored?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Kind of strange they have the increased fee. I wonder if they'll be increasing it on all new cards, in time.
...and I had to call Chase reconsideration after getting turned down for my first time. I'm running with a whopping $4k CL now on my other Chase card in order to successfully apply for the CSP with not much more CL. Geesh, I remember the days when banks wildly increased CL's w/o even being asked.

Is Chase tightening up because of a huge lawsuit judgment? This and the growing miles devaluation movement has me thinking the honeymoon is over. If so, I'm glad I got in on it when I did.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How long have you had your card?
I've had my card for a month now. First statement just closed recently. Probably why they gave me the extra points
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by Pup
If confirmation from a rep after receiving a card isn't reliable, I guess there's no way to find out before the completion of the $3k spend that the bonus won't be honored?

There are other long timers on this board that know more about this than me. But no, I don't think there is a reliable way to know if a person who has had a CSP Visa in the past will get the bonus here until the spend is met.

Amex is like this, too. They will issue a card, even if the customer is not eligible for the bonus. The CSRs usually aren't trained well enough to spot this, and will confirm the bonus the customer signed up on not realizing the customer wasn't eligible for it.

In contrast, Citi will not approve a card at all if the applicant is not eligible for the promotion. I like that method better. I would rather get a rejection than waste a spend with no bonus.

Here is an example from the CSP MC thread. The OP with the problem

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20980310-post181.html

Happy's answer

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20988641-post194.html
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by jeanie
There are other long timers on this board that know more about this than me. But no, I don't think there is a reliable way to know if a person who has had a CSP Visa in the past will get the bonus here until the spend is met.

Amex is like this, too. They will issue a card, even if the customer is not eligible for the bonus. The CSRs usually aren't trained well enough to spot this, and will confirm the bonus the customer signed up on not realizing the customer wasn't eligible for it.

In contrast, Citi will not approve a card at all if the applicant is not eligible for the promotion. I like that method better. I would rather get a rejection than waste a spend with no bonus.

Here is an example from the CSP MC thread. The OP with the problem

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20980310-post181.html

Happy's answer

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20988641-post194.html
So the question is, does Chase consider the 55k bonus, $125 annual fee CSP Visa to be a different card from the 40k bonus, $95 annual fee CSP Visa? Mrs snic had the CSP Visa a couple of years ago, and it's been closed for 12-18 months (not sure exactly how long). We just applied for the 55k bonus version. It will be some time before we know about the bonus points, but I'll post as soon as she gets them (or doesn't).

In Happy's post (linked to above), he writes: "at the end you would NOT receive the bonus - and Chase even sends you a letter right on the statement date to inform you such"

Does this mean the letter comes on the first statement date? Or the statement date in which you meet the spend requirement to get the bonus? In our case those may not be the same thing.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by snic
So the question is, does Chase consider the 55k bonus, $125 annual fee CSP Visa to be a different card from the 40k bonus, $95 annual fee CSP Visa? Mrs snic had the CSP Visa a couple of years ago, and it's been closed for 12-18 months (not sure exactly how long). We just applied for the 55k bonus version. It will be some time before we know about the bonus points, but I'll post as soon as she gets them (or doesn't).

In Happy's post (linked to above), he writes: "at the end you would NOT receive the bonus - and Chase even sends you a letter right on the statement date to inform you such"

Does this mean the letter comes on the first statement date? Or the statement date in which you meet the spend requirement to get the bonus? In our case those may not be the same thing.
There's a similar discoussion regarding another Chase issued card, the UA Explorer. The poster successfully applied even though he didn't wait 24 months (seems to be a Chase minimum recommended before trying to churn) after first card application and he was delighted to get his promo club passess, and a promo statement credit, etc., Then, days later,he received a postcard informing that he didn't qualify for the big miles bonus. In the end, the only way he will know about the 40K miles bonus is wait until after he fulfills the min spend requirement. He's supposed to update FT about this any day (Nov 20) now but I haven't seen anything.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:13 am

as I posted on my blog, I just was approved for it - I believe with the bonus points - but of course we'll have to wait until I fulfill the spend.

to answer the question "does chase consider this the same or different products" the answer is maybe yes maybe no. they seem to be taking the "different product" stand if you want the benefits of the new offer applied to a former offer. they seem to be taking the "same product" stand if you want to churn or get a second card. But mostly, there is no one hard "stand" by Chase on this = so just try a few times and see where it all lands.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 23, 2013 at 12:26 pm Reason: link to blog removed
Old Nov 23, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

Hopefully, someone will fulfill the $3k spending requirement in the first statement and we can find out in a few weeks. I really don't know. Happy might know more. BTW, Happy is a woman. It's impossible to tell gender on this board.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:40 pm

I sent a referral to wife 7 days back but she has not received any refferral email yet.
Question is : If she gets a referal email, the embedded link will be only for the 'old' 40K points offer or the new 50K offer ? If its for 40K offer, no reason to wait for referral
email.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tailgater
I'm running with a whopping $4k CL now on my other Chase card in order to successfully apply for the CSP with not much more CL. Geesh, I remember the days when banks wildly increased CL's w/o even being asked.
Both Chase and CitiBank have increased my credit limit for respective cards (one of which is a CSP) from under $10k to $25k just in the past few months. I never had to ask, the CL increased automatically.

Maybe there is something else on your credit report that is swaying their decisions?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:48 pm

I sent the referral email to my friends prior to this 55K points deal came out, so the link was just for 40K. Then I resent the referral email because I wanted to know if the link would be updated with 55k. But no, it was still for 40K only. I was disappointed! Of course, I had to tell my friends not to use my link.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by himavant
UPDATE!

I called 3 different reps. The first two reps said no-go on the 40k -> 50k offer.

The third rep was the charm and she said I should get a letter about it if it goes through! Fingers crossed!
I called customer service about getting my 40K upgraded to this new 50K (I was 89 days ago today), and my rep said Chase had to look into it more and would mail me a letter within 7-10 business days. So I guess I've got to be patient for a while...wish me luck. Good luck to you, himavant!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Not sure if I should pursue this further.
Just recently got the 40k CSP, sent a SM on Friday to honor the 50k.
Just got this:

Thank you for your interest in the Chase Sapphire
Preferred bonus points offer.

I regret to inform you that we are unable to apply the
50,000 bonus points offer to your account. This offer was
for accounts with an annual fee of $125. Upon review, I
see that your account ending in ____ has an annual fee of
$95.

Although we appreciate your loyalty, we ask that you trust
that this decision is the same for all members. We feel
that adhering to the same policy for all members is the
best way to remain fair and consistent.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fevercity
Not sure if I should pursue this further.
Just recently got the 40k CSP, sent a SM on Friday to honor the 50k.
Just got this:

Thank you for your interest in the Chase Sapphire
Preferred bonus points offer.

I regret to inform you that we are unable to apply the
50,000 bonus points offer to your account. This offer was
for accounts with an annual fee of $125. Upon review, I
see that your account ending in ____ has an annual fee of
$95.

Although we appreciate your loyalty, we ask that you trust
that this decision is the same for all members. We feel
that adhering to the same policy for all members is the
best way to remain fair and consistent.

Same response I got, but they did offer me the 5k UR points for adding an AU.
Ill be happy with that.

Im still waiting on the people that called in and said that one rep said she would try and put it in and another member mentioned a letter in 7-10 days.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:58 pm

So the question is, does Chase consider the 55k bonus, $125 annual fee CSP Visa to be a different card from the 40k bonus, $95 annual fee CSP Visa?
I've had the 40K $95 fee Visa CSP for just about a year with minimal spend after the spend was met.
Friday I applied for the 55K $125 fee CSP and then called Chase reconsideration to see if I could get the bonus. After checking my file, the CSR said that I was was "eligible" for the new bonus (she couldn't say what made me eligible, though she did imply that the fact that I'd had the CSP for a year helped my chances of eligibility) if I was willing to close my old CSP. I said I was (of course), and she closed the account and approved me for the 55K CSP.

The strategy is a little bit risky as they cannot confirm you'll be eligible before hand (per my conversation with the same rep prior to my application), but it worked for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.