Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
does anyone use chase sapphire preferred?

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I would use the points for hopeful even exchange with united points (as I still have lots, yet currently insufficient travel plans to use them). Being in sfo, ual serves my nonstop needs to OGG Japan and fra; mostly the OGG nonstop!

So all that said, can the Amex prg points transfer to ual for free? I did see (on the points guy) that they no longer give the extra 15K bonus when spending $25/30K per year. But I couldn't find the Amex-ual info on the Amex site.

Else if you don't mind my asking, how do people here use their Amex prg points?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:54 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
American Express Membership Rewards is not partners with United. You can find a list of Amex transfer partners (and discussion of each) in the Amex forum. I'd start here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I would use the points for hopeful even exchange with united points (as I still have lots, yet currently insufficient travel plans to use them). Being in sfo, ual serves my nonstop needs to OGG Japan and fra; mostly the OGG nonstop!

So all that said, can the Amex prg points transfer to ual for free? I did see (on the points guy) that they no longer give the extra 15K bonus when spending $25/30K per year. But I couldn't find the Amex-ual info on the Amex site.

Else if you don't mind my asking, how do people here use their Amex prg points?
It's not possible to transfer Amex MR points to UA miles. Your best bet to achieve this goal is going to be the Chase Sapphire Preferred. You'll earn 2x on all airfare, as well as other "travel" expenses. The CSP is one of the few cards that I know of that will get you 2x points on things like parking, taxis, public transportation, and other broadly defined "travel" expenses. Most cards with multipliers for travel are simply for airfare, hotels, or rental cars specifically.

Another perk of the CSP over other travel cards is that it will allow you to be flexible on where you book airfare. You're not stuck booking directly with an airline, as you would be with the Amex PRG. With the CSP, you can book on sites like Orbitz or other portals that may have additional incentives.

Last edited by ffflllyyyeeerrr; Jan 12, 2015 at 8:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the question that you have to ask is if you prefer 2x united pts (since that is your eventual transfer partner) or 3x pts in a MR partner. If you won't use any pts other than united then 2x united pts is a perfectly reasonable answer to this question. There have actually been some reports of people stacking bonuses and getting 4x by booking through amextravel, although I'm not quite sure how this works since the 3x is only supposed to be for airfare booked directly with the airline. Also there is a booking fee when booking through amextravel (although if you are getting 4x pts instead of 3x, it's probably worth it for almost all tickets)

I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion of the PRG card (my reply was moved from a different thread) but it is certainly an option to consider. Personally, I have the card and I don't like it very much (I plan to cancel before the first AF) but the ability to get 3x (or maybe 4x) pts by booking with any airline is its one saving grace IMO -- this is why I thought of it for your situation (you mentioned that you just book with whichever airline has the cheapest F fares).

If this is a discussion of which CC is best for your purposes (which I thought it was?) then maybe it should be moved to a thread in the general CC programs forum? Just a thought for the mods to consider...

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 12, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Via Million Mile Secrets:

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...F7F8&CELL=6H8X

Only requires $3,000 spend for the normal 40,000 UR points.

Hmm... Now I have to decide if I jump in now or wait out in hopes of a 50,000 point offer later in the year.

Edit: And it's dead, I guess I'll keep waiting then.

Last edited by Sicariis; Jan 13, 2015 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that didn't last long:

Offer Unavailable

The information you requested is no longer available.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by tonei
You can find a list of Amex transfer partners (and discussion of each) in the Amex forum.
...and even on the MR site itself (minus the discussion):
http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...stransfer.aspx
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I am going to app for the Sapphire Preferred in a few months, I thought about what flexible points card I wanted and compared this with the AMEX PRG and the Sapphire preferred won out in basically every category for me personally.

Although three questions are nagging me.

1. I plan on transferring UR points to United, Southwest, or BA, but if not my only other option is to redeem them for a flight booked via UR. All my hotels are booked either on hotels.com or hotwire or priceline. The only booking I would make would be only for airfare on UR. However how are airfare prices on the UR booking portal? Is it the same price as booking direct? At least most of the time?

2. Also going off the last question, do I have to have enough points for the entire flight or could I do a partial redemption? Ex: I have 200 dollars of UR points, the flight is 300 dollars, could I redeem all I have and just pay 100 remaining in cash for the flight?

3. Do I have to have the metal card? During the application process is it possible just to request a regular old plastic CSP? I have heard stories of the metal CSP not fitting into slots in gas pumps, and some terminals just not being able to read the card so I just want a regular old plastic card.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:44 pm

I signed up for the $4000 spend to get 40,000 points.

Aprroved for card March 1st (rush delievery)

Met spend on March 7th

Statement closes on March 21st.

As of today this is what it looks like on my rewards page

5000 is for having an auth user use it and the other 4000 points are for the spend. I still dont see the 40,000 points posted should I expect these not to post till next statement?

Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by xinfamousxi
I signed up for the $4000 spend to get 40,000 points.

Aprroved for card March 1st (rush delievery)

Met spend on March 7th

Statement closes on March 21st.

As of today this is what it looks like on my rewards page

5000 is for having an auth user use it and the other 4000 points are for the spend. I still dont see the 40,000 points posted should I expect these not to post till next statement?

Weird that they haven't shown up... Meeting the spend 2 weeks before should be more than enough time for them to be on this statement in my experience.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:45 pm

Commenting on your third point, I've had the metal card for about 5 months, and with daily usage have never had a single issue. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I am going to app for the Sapphire Preferred in a few months, I thought about what flexible points card I wanted and compared this with the AMEX PRG and the Sapphire preferred won out in basically every category for me personally.

Although three questions are nagging me.

1. I plan on transferring UR points to United, Southwest, or BA, but if not my only other option is to redeem them for a flight booked via UR. All my hotels are booked either on hotels.com or hotwire or priceline. The only booking I would make would be only for airfare on UR. However how are airfare prices on the UR booking portal? Is it the same price as booking direct? At least most of the time?

2. Also going off the last question, do I have to have enough points for the entire flight or could I do a partial redemption? Ex: I have 200 dollars of UR points, the flight is 300 dollars, could I redeem all I have and just pay 100 remaining in cash for the flight?

3. Do I have to have the metal card? During the application process is it possible just to request a regular old plastic CSP? I have heard stories of the metal CSP not fitting into slots in gas pumps, and some terminals just not being able to read the card so I just want a regular old plastic card.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
So applied for a CSP MC about 2 years ago and then I downgraded it to a CS and by then they moved me to a VS instead of MC.
Would I be able to claim the sign-up bonus for the CSP again if it has been less than 24 months given that I originally applied to a different type of card (MC)?
I'm also planning to switch my CS to a Freedom card to decrease the probability of getting declined.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Sicariis
Via Million Mile Secrets:

https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...F7F8&CELL=6H8X

Only requires $3,000 spend for the normal 40,000 UR points.

Hmm... Now I have to decide if I jump in now or wait out in hopes of a 50,000 point offer later in the year.

Edit: And it's dead, I guess I'll keep waiting then.
It seems as if your link works again.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan Wang
Cool. Thanks for letting us know! ^
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan Wang
Very Nice... Good Catch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.