Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: United, US Airways, Chase UR, Club Carlson, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Choice, Amtrak
Originally Posted by FTRox87
whats the highest CSP bonus offer that has ever been, public or targeted: something around 50k right?

I dont mind the higher spend, just trying to figure out when to pull the trigger. I wanna say the higher signup bonus comes around once every year, so I'm waiting for that, but not if its very marginal.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for the increased point bonus anytime soon...
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:03 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by Exterous
Ever? 100k sometime around 2011 and I don't think its been back since
was that public or targeted? what have some of the other offers been, do I remember one correctly for 60k or am I thinking of some other Chase card?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:57 am

I just got mine in branch last week. It's up to $3000 in branch from $2000. Bad timing
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Exterous
Ever? 100k sometime around 2011 and I don't think its been back since
I expect we'll see it back during the next economic downturn when the banks need to get their numbers back up. But while things are good, they don't feel the need to court us like that.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
CSP spend now $4000

https://creditcards.chase.com/?list=1,2,4&CELL=63WS No increase in pts. WIKI updated.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:29 pm

Hope this is the right place to ask this, if not apologies...

Is the current offer of 40k/$4000/3mo a typical offer for the card, or something 'good'? I am planning to apply for the card, but wondering if the current offer is something I should be jumping on, or if there really is 'no rush'? Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:43 pm
umc

Originally Posted by PackingIt
Hope this is the right place to ask this, if not apologies...

Is the current offer of 40k/$4000/3mo a typical offer for the card, or something 'good'? I am planning to apply for the card, but wondering if the current offer is something I should be jumping on, or if there really is 'no rush'? Thanks.
It's a typical offer for the card. So, there is no rush.

Last year, Chase had a better offer 50k/$3000/3mo for an annual fee of $125. The annual fee for the 1st year is waived, so it doesn't really matter if the fee is $95 or $125 if you only keep the card for 1 year.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by umc
It's a typical offer for the card. So, there is no rush.

Last year, Chase had a better offer 50k/$3000/3mo for an annual fee of $125. The annual fee for the 1st year is waived, so it doesn't really matter if the fee is $95 or $125 if you only keep the card for 1 year.
I was one of those that took advantage of the 50K with $125 AF deal last year but in a way it kinda sucks becuase those of us that took advantage of that deal in Nov 2013 are stuck in a pickle on whether to pay the $125 AF that posted on 12/1 and lose the 7% dividend OR pay the $125 AF and get the 7% dividend.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:05 pm

How often can you get the signon bonus for CSP?

If you cancel your CSP, how long before you can reapply and get the point sign up bonus? If that's possible, what about if you don't cancel your CSP and instead you only downgraded to a non preferred card? Can you reapply for CSP and get the bonus then?

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Have you looked at the terms and conditions of the card?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:03 pm

I'm curious to know this as well. I downgraded my CSP a long time ago when the bonus was 50K. Then I converted the Sapphire card to a Freedom card.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:06 am

B.New language found 11/15: Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing.
I see that there but do they really abide by that? Has anyone actually tried?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Yes they do follow their terms and conditions. I know from experience.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:37 am
In memoriam

Don't know about the alleged new terms in Chase's contract.

Do know that I have gotten more than a dozen Ultimate Rewards Points bonuses--most recently for 70K-with various INK and Sapphire Preferred card.

Still, haven't had a SP card for a while so I would like to know the answer to OP's question.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
If you cancel your CSP, how long before you can reapply and get the point sign up bonus? If that's possible, what about if you don't cancel your CSP and instead you only downgraded to a non preferred card? Can you reapply for CSP and get the bonus then?
Note that
  • the mods have moved this discussion into the appropriate thread
  • the wiki (and the wiki in the master "Applying for Chase cards" thread to which it links) answers this question

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.