Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by jorge18
Not sure if this is the right place for this but...

Does airport parking code as a travel expense on the CSP?
In my experience, yes. But YMMV; it all depends on the merchant code.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:45 pm

Unfortunately, the airport parking in my area is not coded as travel.

Originally Posted by bribro
In my experience, yes. But YMMV; it all depends on the merchant code.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:41 am

Does anyone happen to have at hand the list of countries excluded from the car rental collision damage waiver with the CSP? I'll be renting a car in New Zealand, which I know is excluded on some cards but not others.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Anyone successfully churned this card recently?

Got the CSP 50k UR in Dec 2011, got the bonus in early 2012, closed it in OCt 2012 and thinking of applying for it again.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Does anyone happen to have at hand the list of countries excluded from the car rental collision damage waiver with the CSP? I'll be renting a car in New Zealand, which I know is excluded on some cards but not others.
Sometime last in 2013, Chase improved the CDW benefit on its cards to eliminate country restrictions. You can call up to confirm and even get a letter of coverage to present to the rental company (my wife did this for a trip to Israel, one of the countries previously excluded on many cards).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA, AAL, UA, SW, HHonors, UR
I applied for this one in a Chase branch office and was approved on the spot (I think the agent got some sort of bonus or whatever for signing me up). I was also told that since I'm also a JPMorganChase brokerage customer, I'll be getting a UR bonus of 50k + 5k for an AU, instead of 40k + 5k after the same spend was met. Same deal for annual fees. A good 5 minutes work!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
My CSP Annual Fee is about to post on September 1st. After this date, I technically have 60 days from which I can cancel and get a refund, right?

I still haven't decided which travel partners I should transfer my 48k points to and I can do this up until the end of October as well, too?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
If I have chase sapphire (NOT preferred), am I still eligible to receive CSP bonus?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:33 pm

Signup bonus with CSP - how long after activating account?

I don't recall the exact date the account was opened/registered but I see the very first transaction was posted August 11th. It's been exactly one month to the date and the card was surely activated earlier. I still don't see the signup bonus reflected in our account. In fact, I've spent $3116.39 to date (according to online statements) and I only see a point balance of 7,533 currently available and apparently 5,000 are attributed to the AU while the remaining 2,533 were per dollar earnings. Is this normal and when does Chase typically "catch up" with a new account? Should I wait until the next billing cycle, which is in October I believe? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by OliverB; Sep 11, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:44 pm

Also, are points typically updated per billing cycle or more frequently, ie. every other week?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:55 am

The bonus points typically post a couple of days after the billing cycle ends (in which the minimum spend was met). Check your next statement date and then add a couple of days to see when you should be receiving your points.

If you call the number on the back of your card they should be able to give you an exact date.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
I still don't see the signup bonus reflected in our account.
Please see the wiki at the top of this page for a detailed discussion of Chase's practices.

Originally Posted by RewardFlyer
The bonus points typically post a couple of days after the billing cycle ends (in which the minimum spend was met).
This is overly simplistic. Again, the wiki treats this issue in depth.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:56 am

Sorry if this has been covered before, but how often is the bonus up to 50k+5k? Is it worth waiting around for or just taking the 40k+5k? I just got the Ink+ and regret not doing a 3BM with the CSP and Explorer. I may go back sometime soon and do a 2BM for CSP and Explorer.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:37 pm

Last instance I remember was in 2013 around this time. I would say its due to happen again soon, but that's just a feeling (and a wish, because I want my SO to get one! LOL).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Csp annual fee?!

So I'm browsing the chase.com website, and it looks like the annual fee has gone up from $95 to $150. Is anyone else seeing this, or is this just a glitch? Did existing cardholders get any advance communication? I was thinking of applying, but this might make it harder to justify.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.