Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Stupid question, but I want to be sure: Does specifying an authorized user in the application form trigger the 5k bonus, or does the additional user need to be added AFTER approval? I've always done it post-approval in the past.
The AU may be added at the time of or after application--makes no difference.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:46 am

I am currently working on my minimum spend with CSP. I am in my first month using the card. My statement has not closed yet but I would like to pay it down so utilization is less than 10% before it does.

Would paying balance down before statement posts negate my minimum spend? Do they only count what is on the bill?

example:

balance $2500, I pay $2000, new balance that the statement sees when it posts is $500, do I lose that $2000 towards minimum spend?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:21 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Mace03
Would paying balance down before statement posts negate my minimum spend?
No. Payments don't count against you. Merchandise returns do.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by nsx
No. Payments don't count against you. Merchandise returns do.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I got this 'please call us asap....you are nearly finished...' message after applying. Should I call in or wait it out? Auto line/email says 30 days. I have no relationship with chase.

Edit: I got approved! Never mind.

Last edited by G-CIVC; Apr 19, 2016 at 10:59 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:40 pm

looking to upgrade my sapphire to sapphire preferred for some international travel. any more news on these cards being issued for chip+pin unattended kiosk transactions?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JBAeroEngineer
looking to upgrade my sapphire to sapphire preferred for some international travel. any more news on these cards being issued for chip+pin unattended kiosk transactions?
Nope. I probably wouldn't hold my breath for at least the short/medium term either since Visa seems to think that chip and signature is "good enough". Also keep in mind that Visa currently doesn't recommend that issuers support offline PIN (necessary for best kiosk compatibility), so even if Chase were to add PIN support it might not be enough.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Good news and bad news. "Thanks" to my dentist, the second half of my $4K spend was completed this a.m. and
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:30 am

Does Chase Shappire still transfer 1:1 to Virgin America elevate?

Also, for Virgin America Elevate, is a domestic one-way ticket in the USA typically 12,500 points or so?

So round trip will be around 25,000?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Nope. I probably wouldn't hold my breath for at least the short/medium term either since Visa seems to think that chip and signature is "good enough". Also keep in mind that Visa currently doesn't recommend that issuers support offline PIN (necessary for best kiosk compatibility), so even if Chase were to add PIN support it might not be enough.
any luck with the ATM pin being used?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JBAeroEngineer
any luck with the ATM pin being used?
I don't have any recent experience but the people in the EMV thread might be able to help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I don't have any recent experience but the people in the EMV thread might be able to help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html
thanks, I'll inquire over there
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Does Chase Shappire still transfer 1:1 to Virgin America elevate?
Virgin America is not, and never has been, an Ultimate Rewards transfer partner.

American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards do transfer to Virgin America. The rate is 2:1 in both programs.

Starwood Preferred Guest now transfers to Elevate. The rate is 1:1.

If I wanted to know the typical number of Elevate points required for a trip I would look in the VX forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...a-elevate-642/
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Applied for the CSP after receiving an invite in the mail (same 50k for $4k in 3 months with additional 5k for AU). Got the 7-10 message, called in and after a 4 minute hold was approved.

They also upgraded shipping to get it to me in 2-3 business days.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:07 am

Will my additional user be able to get their own CSP?

I just got my CSP in the mail. I'd like to add my girlfriend as an authorized user to get the additional 5,000 UR points, but I don't want to compromise her chances of getting her own account (and the 50,000 sign up points with it) later this year. Will she still be able to get her own CSP after she has a second card from my account? And if so, could I be her additional user if her account gets approved?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.