Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tailgater
This trip delay coverage---it wouldn't kick in, would it, if the airline sets up/pays for the overnight hotel and a meal or two? I mean, don't airlines automatically put you up if then missed connection is not the passenger's fault? I'm confused. I once had trip insurance (purchased separately) on a Europe trip, missed (inclement weather) a CDG connection to USA and consequently was put in a hotel at airlines expense. I didn't bother filing a claim with my trip ins since I assumed it would be double dipping. Any thoughts?
Except in Europe, where EU261/04 applies, airlines generally don't put pax up for weather delays.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
To make a claim you need a statement of delay from the carrier. When they give you hotel/meal vouchers they would probably say that in the statement of delay. If they don't mention the vouchers you might be able to make a claim, if you happen to have a hotel/meal receipt for that same night.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:22 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nookanaya
To make a claim you need a statement of delay from the carrier. When they give you hotel/meal vouchers they would probably say that in the statement of delay. If they don't mention the vouchers you might be able to make a claim, if you happen to have a hotel/meal receipt for that same night.
You should still be able to make the claim if you have expenses above what is covered by the voucher(s). For example, they don't tend to offer much for food and it's likely you'll have more than one meal you need covered. And, anyway, have you seen the line to wait for those vouchers?

And, as alluded by PVDtoDEL, you probably aren't getting anything if it's a weather delay in the USA.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This trip delay coverage---it wouldn't kick in, would it, if the airline sets up/pays for the overnight hotel and a meal or two? I mean, don't airlines automatically put you up if then missed connection is not the passenger's fault? I'm confused. I once had trip insurance (purchased separately) on a Europe trip, missed (inclement weather) a CDG connection to USA and consequently was put in a hotel at airlines expense. I didn't bother filing a claim with my trip ins since I assumed it would be double dipping. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the USA

I know that Air Canada puts up all in-transit passengers who have to overnight due to weather (e.g. If you're flying YUL-YYZ-SFO, and your YYZ-SFO is cancelled after you arrive, you get a hotel. But if the YUL-YYZ is cancelled, you do not.).

I know that United and American do not give a sh**, regardless of whether you're *G or in paid domestic F.

Originally Posted by nookanaya
That would be insurance fraud.

As MDtR-Chicago said, if you take your $7 United food voucher, go to an airport restaurant, and have a $30 dinner, you can claim the other $23, but not the full amount.

I just received my first check on Friday for a trip delay claim, and I must say, I am extremely glad I chose this credit card.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:09 pm

When it comes to cancellations due to inclement weather and other forces outside the airlines control, they may put you up if you have elite status, but otherwise they are pretty quick to tell you that they are not obliged to make any accommodations for you other than rebooking you onto the next flight without charge.

I am currently going through this process right now because I was a distressed passenger in Charlotte for two days last week during the winter storm, and they don't explain the program very well.

Apparently they'll only reimburse for trip delay expenses for the passenger, spouse, and immediate family only. I'm not entirely sure why familial status matters, but it came as a surprise to me that I'm not going to get my friend's covered, even when I paid for this ticket.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by litesalt
When it comes to cancellations due to inclement weather and other forces outside the airlines control, they may put you up if you have elite status, but otherwise they are pretty quick to tell you that they are not obliged to make any accommodations for you other than rebooking you onto the next flight without charge.

I am currently going through this process right now because I was a distressed passenger in Charlotte for two days last week during the winter storm, and they don't explain the program very well.

Apparently they'll only reimburse for trip delay expenses for the passenger, spouse, and immediate family only. I'm not entirely sure why familial status matters, but it came as a surprise to me that I'm not going to get my friend's covered, even when I paid for this ticket.
That's pretty clear in the rules. While I was in the United Club trying to figure out when I could actually get out the next day, I also had the benefit book open on my tablet, and I was trying to figure out exactly what I could do.

That being said, I do think it's strange that only family is covered, even if you're paying for the ticket. I think the assumption is that if you pay for a friend's ticket, they're probably paying you back (as was the case in my situation), so you're not "paying" for it. Whether or not that assumption is true, though...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:05 pm

Does anyone know if the United Club Card has this same benefit?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I recently had a positive and interesting experience using trip delay protection through Visa card services associated with my CSP.

Background:
- Booked a RT through the Chase UR Portal
- Return leg cancelled due to icy ground conditions after about 5 hours of rolling delays.
- Airline unable to provide return travel until 2-3 days later, so decided to use Amtrak for a long ride back. Airline refunded the return leg of my trip (note: if you book through the UR Travel portal and get a refund, you have to follow up with Chase to have the refund applied back to your original CC - the travel portal purchases tickets from the airline with a corporate card and when that card gets refunded, they have no idea where to apply the credit unless you call to have them do it manually).
- Transferred UR points to Amtrak while I was on the phone with an Amtrak customer service agent and booked a one-way ticket for the next morning.
- Crashed on a friends couch for the night.
- About 10 hours into alternative return journey, Amtrak runs into "indefinite" delays due to downed electrical power lines at about 2 hours away from my final destination. Rented a car from the train station to complete the journey.

I wasn't planning on using this protection when I started my return journey (really I just wanted to get back in one piece and still have a job waiting for me) so I did not save any receipts. Only after I returned home I figured it was worth a shot...

Filing the claim:
- Deducted the airline reimbursement for the cancelled leg from my claim.
- Airline would not provide written proof of cancellation after I returned, used a print out from flightaware.com.
- Had no idea how Visa would treat UR points (no guidance provided) so claimed the cost of the Amtrak ticket had I not redeemed miles figuring they would apply their own valuation to the points anyway.
- Had no receipt from restaurants or Amtrak cafe car and other food vendors/restaurants starting from the first airline delay, only CSP statement. Had to get Chase to retrieve receipts from the vendors after Visa asked for itemized receipts as part of the normal back-and-forth with these things.
- Paid cash for a couple taxis so could not claim those as I did not save the receipts.

Was reimbursed for all expenses claimed. The most surprising part was the Amtrak award ticket value and the rental car. My thinking is that my overall claim was relatively small (<$300) and I was pretty forthright with the expenses I was claiming (food/drink, Amtrak, and rental car) and those I would not claim (those paid with cash).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by zeusmt
Does anyone know if the United Club Card has this same benefit?
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...rotect-new.htm

Looks like it, although if your version is different (particularly if for some reason it's not a Visa Signature card), you could always call Chase and get the T&Cs and benefits mailed to you.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by picards007
Was reimbursed for all expenses claimed. The most surprising part was the Amtrak award ticket value and the rental car. My thinking is that my overall claim was relatively small (<$300) and I was pretty forthright with the expenses I was claiming (food/drink, Amtrak, and rental car) and those I would not claim (those paid with cash).
This is a great report and it's another situation where it seems they're taking reasonable interpretations of the rules. Glad it worked out for you and you made it back!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:04 pm

Is this coverage on the Marriott Premier?

Was looking at a benefits page for the Marriott Premier card today and it seemed to indicate that the card does have this coverage now:

Trip Delay Reimbursement®
If your trip is delayed by more than 12 hours due to a covered event, you can be reimbursed for reasonable expenses like meals and lodging.
Can someone who has recently received the complete cardmember agreement check to see if this coverage is substantially the same as the CSP coverage?

If so, that would be an excellent benefit enhancement.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:18 am

Can someone who has recently received the complete cardmember agreement check to see if this coverage is substantially the same as the CSP coverage?
Yes, the 12 hours business has been in the coverage for a long time.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
A Chase rep told me that travel delay due to weather is not covered.
This is very odd. The weather-related terms haven't changed in years, but we got the same response from a Chase rep the other day.

The best interpretation that I could make is that some terms were changed on November 1, 2013. If a trip's tickets were purchased prior to November 1, 2013, the new terms do not apply to that trip. i.e. I believe the Chase reps are a bit confused, and everyone else with them.

Prior to November 1, 2013, trip interruption/missed transport arrangements were covered only if someone's health was involved (i.e. weather-related is not covered)--and then you'd need a health provider's record of your immediate diagnosis for anything to be covered. Read: Transport, not missed hotel costs, etc. The coverage expanded after November 1 to non-health related reasons like weather and cancelled flights.

Trip delay expenses for hotels and meals, on the other hand, have always been covered for weather related items.

Another odd twist: Instead of Enhancement Services, we are now being referred to Crawford & Company to file claims.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Mar 3, 2014 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Yes, the 12 hours business has been in the coverage for a long time.
12 hours or an overnight stay. I've definitely missed 11pm flights and been rebooked onto 8am flights (although AC provides hotels for weather issues, so I didn't need a credit card there), and I'd be annoyed if that wasn't eligible for trip delay

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
This is very odd. The weather-related terms haven't changed in years, but we got the same response from a Chase rep the other day.

The best interpretation that I could make is that some terms were changed on November 1, 2013. If a trip's tickets were purchased prior to November 1, 2013, the new terms do not apply to that trip. i.e. I believe the Chase reps are a bit confused, and everyone else with them.

Prior to November 1, 2013, trip interruption/missed transport arrangements were covered only if someone's health was involved (i.e. weather-related is not covered)--and then you'd need a health provider's record of your immediate diagnosis for anything to be covered. Read: Transport, not missed hotel costs, etc. The coverage expanded after November 1 to non-health related reasons like weather and cancelled flights.

Trip delay expenses for hotels and meals, on the other hand, have always been covered for weather related items.

Another odd twist: Instead of Enhancement Services, we are now being referred to Crawford & Company to file claims.
I bought a ticket in January for travel in January and made a successful claim for a hotel after my flight was cancelled due to weather. I think you just need to make it very clear that you're calling about a trip delay claim.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if there is an annual dollar/claim cap on this benefit? I don't have my little benefits booklet in front of my right now.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by SansSerif
Does anyone know if there is an annual dollar/claim cap on this benefit? I don't have my little benefits booklet in front of my right now.
From my CSP Guide to Benefits booklet:

"Trip Delay Reimbursment: covers up to a maximum of $500 for each purchased ticket for reasonable expenses, on a one-time-basis, incurred if your covered trip is delayed by a covered hazard for more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay."

As far as I can tell, there is no annual limit. For Trip Cancellation coverage however, there is a $20K limit per year and $10K max per occurrence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.