Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:04 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I paid part of the airline fare using GC and part of it using CSP (65% paid on cc and 35% on GCs), would that still be eligible for Chase travel protection?

How about on award tickets? If taxes or booking fee was paid by CSP, would that cover travel protection as well?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Yes.

Yes.

Neil
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by missamo80
Yes.

Yes.

Neil
^
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
During the New Years Snowstorm in NYC, I missed my flight. Nothing else available so I booked a greyhound bus back to Boston the next morning and stayed in a hotel on my own dime.
Chase REFUSED to reimburse me for anything!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But the airline would have refunded that portion of the ticket, no?
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
No. They claimed "Act of God".
You missed your flight as in you couldn't get to airport in time. If the flight was not delayed, Trip Delay doesn't cover that. Nor would airline refund the ticket.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:02 pm

Taking two flights on separate itineraries, is there anything that protects me if my original flight is late and I miss the second flight?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Sure, that's what trip delay coverage is for. You have to be delayed six hours or overnight though.

Neil
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
It'll cover hotel and meals. but not a replacement air ticket. I don't think there's any product which will bail you out of a separate ticket misconnect. I've looked really hard..
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:08 pm

Hello!

If I use the Chase Sapphire card to purchase an airline ticket for someone else, but I won't be traveling with that person. Would that person still be covered under trip protection?

Or would this only cover primary account holder?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by walkertalk322
Hello!

If I use the Chase Sapphire card to purchase an airline ticket for someone else, but I won't be traveling with that person. Would that person still be covered under trip protection?

Or would this only cover primary account holder?

Thanks!
This is from the CSR agreement:

Benefit Information for Trip Cancellation
Who is covered?
You, the Primary Insured Person, and your Immediate Family
Members are automatically covered. Immediate Family Member
means your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including
adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings
or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or
grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
This is from the CSR agreement:

Benefit Information for Trip Cancellation
Who is covered?
You, the Primary Insured Person, and your Immediate Family
Members are automatically covered. Immediate Family Member
means your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including
adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings
or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or
grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
Thank you!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:49 am

One way ticket?

Can someone please confirm whether trip delay protection applies to one way flights? The language in the benefits guide is confusing, and I'd like some confirmation if possible.

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Page 31 states a Covered Trip is a round trip.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphireVW15
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The trip must return to the origin, but it can be on multiple tickets.

I had a successful claim.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:19 pm

FLL Shooting

First off, my prayers are with the Victims.

I was hoping someone could help me.

My aunt has a flight that is going to be cancelled until tomorrow morning because of the shooting. Does Chase's Sapphire Preferred Trip Protection help? I was on the phone with chase and a rep said no because it doesn't qualify as one of their covered incidents, but I wanted to know if anyone else thought differently (obviously chase has the last word, but I just wanted to hear other's opinions).

I appreciate the help. - Bortky
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Only Say What You Have To Don't Talk Too Much

The flight is going to show cancelled due to some random coding like "airport conditions" or "operations," etc.

It won't say like "mass shooting," the code will be very vague.

I would take a screen shot of the flight# with the cancel status from your airline app or i.e. FlightStats, etc.

Then just try to work in the reason to one of the covered reasons.

I wouldn't mention the shooting just again try to stick with a vague reason that could literally mean anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.