Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR bonus point posting questions and problems. [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I just got my first statement of Chase Freedom card. I had spent about $1,000 on dining and charitable spending, but they only awarded 1,616 UR points for "bonus 5% spending," which translates into them recognizing only $404 in spend as bonus category spending. (There are two separate line items for points earned on the statement: first, the regular 1 pt/$ points earned, and second, the extra 4 pt/$ points earned on bonus category spending.)

I just spoke with a nice and helpful Chase phone rep who advised me that the bonus (extra 4x) points can sometimes post on subsequent statements, especially on purchases near the closing date of the statement.

Anyone else have this experience of the extra 4x bonus UR points not all posting on the same statement as the underlying spend points?

Edit: (If so, proper accounting of bonus spending could get a little hairy as Chase does not reveal how the merchants are coding the purchases, unlike Amex.)
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by andysiz
the bonus (extra 4x) points can sometimes post on subsequent statements, especially on purchases near the closing date of the statement.
Yes, this is usually true. I'll only be worried if the extra points are not posted in your next statement.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allanfan
Yes, this is usually true. I'll only be worried if the extra points are not posted in your next statement.
Thanks allanfan. You have put my worries to rest (at least for the next month).
Old Nov 3, 2011, 4:40 pm

+1

I only use the card for 5x categories, and noticed that the October statement clearly shorted me. I was given the same explanation -- that transactions near the close date may not get the extra 4x points on that statement -- which lined up exactly with my last few purchases. This usually doesn't happen, but I'm taking them at their word that the points will post next month.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HY Diamond
Second this. Happened to my a few times already and I always got the correct points in the next statement.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
I find another problem with the Ultimate Rewards is that they are not specific in how they award the points, just an entry for the points themselves. It can sometimes be quite confusing as to whether you've gotten the correct amount of points.

But I'm sure they mean it to be confusing...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by menton1
I find another problem with the Ultimate Rewards is that they are not specific in how they award the points, just an entry for the points themselves. It can sometimes be quite confusing as to whether you've gotten the correct amount of points.

Yea... they really love to obfuscate their whole bonus point process. I wish they'd adopt the system like Amex where it is fully itemized. Oh well, can't have it all.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bonus categories always post on the FOLLOWING statement.

Because of this reason, the earnings of bonus never seem to match what you charged on the current statement. If you have a ton of 5% charges you may want to do a simple spread sheet to keep track of. I have found there is no need as they do post in this fashion as explained by the reps. As long as the charges are coded by the merchants correctly, the bonus will post. The only time the bonus does not post would be due to the merchant does not classify itself correctly. If so, Chase cannot do anything about it and such is already explained in the T&Cs.

For the October statement, it has both the Q3 5% bonus AND the Q4 5% bonus listed on it. The Dec 5% bonus should show up on your January statement.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by menton1

On top of that, I have found courtesy adjustment completely wrong in line item but is correctly reflected in the total.

The transferred in points from other accounts are shown in a lump sum as an Adjustment - very confusing description to say the least.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The bonus categories always post on the FOLLOWING statement.
Instead of making categorical statements, I'll simply describe what my experience has been.

Last year, the additional (4x) bonus points posted as a lump sum on the first statement after the end of the calendar quarter. This was more than a little maddening.

Starting in Q1 2011, however, my bonuses have generally posted on the same statement as the purchases in question. As Happy states above, that means that "straddle" statements -- e.g., my mid-October statement covering purchases in Q3 and Q4 -- typically include bonuses for two different categories.

As I remarked a few days ago in this same thread, October was a bit unusual in that the add'l 4x bonuses for the last few purchases before the close date weren't included. I use this card pretty regularly (for category spend only) & haven't had this happen most months, so Chase seems to me a bit erratic. OTOH, as Happy says, Chase has been very reliable in the past about eventually crediting the full bonus without prompting/complaint.

I'll also add that the ability to indirectly earn 5 UA/BA miles (or Amtrak GR points) per dollar is enough to make me seriously consider keeping my Sapphire Preferred card & paying the $95 annual fee just to have that transfer option (vs. straight 1 cent cash redemption).

Last edited by beltway; Nov 5, 2011 at 10:11 am
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. @Beltway -- this was my first statement that just closed and had about 40% of my purchases credited with the additional 4x points. Based on your experience and others' comments regarding their experiences, I'm optimistic that the CS was correct and that my points should post later, probably on my next statement close.

EDIT: A wholly separate question -- does anyone here have their Freedom card linked to their Chase checking accounts for the additional 10%/10 points per transaction (on the Freedom card), and if so, how reliably those points post?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:19 am

EDIT: A wholly separate question -- does anyone here have their Freedom card linked to their Chase checking accounts for the additional 10%/10 points per transaction (on the Freedom card), and if so, how reliably those points post?
I have a Freedom card and Chase checking account. I just recently started using the Freedom card on a regular basis, but I've had the additional 10% and 10 pts/transaction post as soon as the billing cycle that the transaction was charged in ended.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, all. @Beltway -- this was my first statement that just closed and had about 40% of my purchases credited with the additional 4x points. Based on your experience and others' comments regarding their experiences, I'm optimistic that the CS was correct and that my points should post later, probably on my next statement close.

Like a clockwork. The 10 extra points can be very good earning when you have purchases that are of smallish amount.

We have 2 Freedom cards in the household. One was long been converted to the current form (about 2 - 3 years ago). The other one finally lost its 3% earning status and converted to the current form just 2 months ago. At first the conversion seemed to leave out some 4x bonus earning on the gas (making it an 8% in total due to the regular 3%) - they just showed up on the current statement. I am impressed by how accurate Chase system keeps track of such.

That, comparing to the current nightmare of BofA blotched conversion of the old FIA/Schwab card to BofA card, Chase would get 90% of our normal banking business... We just had a phone survey from Chase an hour ago - they got mostly 8 and 9 out of a 10 scale on most categories.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by txrose86
I have a Freedom card and Chase checking account. I just recently started using the Freedom card on a regular basis, but I've had the additional 10% and 10 pts/transaction post as soon as the billing cycle that the transaction was charged in ended.
I've had a Chase College Checking account since I opened it in Undergrad, but I didn't see any of the extra 10 points per transaction post on the first statement of the Freedom. Do you think the College Checking being fee free disqualifies getting that bonus?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by loganleelamson
I've had a Chase College Checking account since I opened it in Undergrad, but I didn't see any of the extra 10 points per transaction post on the first statement of the Freedom. Do you think the College Checking being fee free disqualifies getting that bonus?
The rewards program details just state:
As a Chase Checking customer, you get even more exclusive benefits.
  • Earn 10% extra points on every $1 you spend
  • Plus 10 bonus points on every purchase
I don't see any disclaimers that college/student checking accounts don't qualify. You might contact Chase and ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.