Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Thanks, I didn't know that. I'm sorry I called. I took your advice and went ahead and applied for the offer. Looks like it is 50k after $2k spend without an AF. Let's just hope the same verbiage of no bonus received in the last 24 months applies because I have had this card before (bonus received in 2011).
You will get the bonus. If you want to also earn the 25K/$10K spend x 2 in 12 months, you can SM Chase to ask for a match. So far Chase has matched the request from anyone who asked.
Hence you would get the best of both worlds - it works exactly the same way as 2.5 years ago. Identical scenario.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You will get the bonus. If you want to also earn the 25K/$10K spend x 2 in 12 months, you can SM Chase to ask for a match. So far Chase has matched the request from anyone who asked.
Hence you would get the best of both worlds - it works exactly the same way as 2.5 years ago. Identical scenario.
Thanks, bonus terms confirmed by SM incl. the 24 month wash-out period. No AF. I asked them to match the 25k on $10k and 25k on $20k in first year. We'll see if they match, but I don't intend on spend $10-20k on the card after the initial spend requirement, but just in case...

Updated wiki with my datapoint.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, bonus terms confirmed by SM incl. the 24 month wash-out period. No AF. I asked them to match the 25k on $10k and 25k on $20k in first year. We'll see if they match, but I don't intend on spend $10-20k on the card after the initial spend requirement, but just in case...

Updated wiki with my datapoint.
They will match. Everybody who has asked has been matched to the Spend Bonus.

Not a bad deal for those who ms, essentially is at 0.003ish per Avios. Depends on your travel needs, could be much more value than a straight 2% cash back
earning.

2% gets $200 on $10K spend, or 25K Avios.
Recent bookings we made on Avios
6500 + $27.50 LHR-SPU off peak date. Would cost $150 or more.
7500 + $27.50 LHR-MAD. Would cost $200 or more.
10K + $5.60 MIA-LAX. Would cost $180 or more.
Minus the taxes/fee, the Avios brought in just under $500 value. 2.5 of the 2% cash rebate.
Last year we had 5 flights booked with Avios, including HKG-HND on CX, BCN-DUS on AB, VIE-LHR on BA, LHR-CPN on BA, just off the top of my head.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 16, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:36 am

Not a bad deal for those who ms, essentially is at 0.003ish per Avios. Depends on your travel needs, could be much more value than a straight 2% cash back earning.
Yeah, prob not for me - can't MS in NYC and already have something 100k+ Avios. Only real use case for me is W. Coast to HI or LAN in S. America.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, prob not for me - can't MS in NYC and already have something 100k+ Avios. Only real use case for me is W. Coast to HI or LAN in S. America.
Difficult in S FL as well but since it has a whole year to do it... though we normally only do the first 25K.
We have close to 400K balance now before the first 25Kx2 kick in. Used about 60 to 70K a year but sometimes have to book the crappy IntraEurope biz (VIE-LHR - Retail of close to $300 in coach!) or the PE on CX (HKG-HND on a more desirable time) due to availability. So we want to have a good cushion.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:23 am

Wait sorry if this is an dumb question, but am I reading this correctly in that I can apply using the no AF for first year link in the wiki, then after approval I SM and will likely get the 25K/10K x2 bonus as well? And will I be able to take it further and spend 30k and get the Travel Together ticket?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ManImCool
Wait sorry if this is an dumb question, but am I reading this correctly in that I can apply using the no AF for first year link in the wiki, then after approval I SM and will likely get the 25K/10K x2 bonus as well? And will I be able to take it further and spend 30k and get the Travel Together ticket?
Yes.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:48 am

May I ask what kind of language to use when requesting? I've never armed asked for any sort of match before. Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ManImCool
May I ask what kind of language to use when requesting? I've never armed asked for any sort of match before. Thanks
No need to be fancy as the 25K/$10K is a Spend Bonus, not Welcome Bonus (the 50K is).

Just ask Chase that you realize that there is an offer has a Spend Bonus which you believe yours dont have it. Would they kindly extend the spend offer to you?

So far it is 10/10 for anyone who asks.

As for the Companion cert after spending $30K - Just as a friendly reminder, not only for you but for the newbies reading this thread - if you do not know much about the restriction and much more importantly, the CASH outlay to use that cert, you want to learn much more about it (there are lengthy discussion just a few pages upthread) before you decide to spend on that.

In the past enough people who earned the certs ended up never using it due to the very high out of pocket cash involved (You would need to pay BA's YQ) though those who used it justified it being "buying a coach ticket to fly business". However with the latest round of devaluation in premium cabins awards, it is very hard to justify it because the amount of avios needed for a long haul premium seat is very high, and the product is mediocre at best, not to mention the ridiculous out of pocket cash.

The BA program is a de factor program for short haul travels, and in economy class. That is where the value lies. You will find more info on how to use Avios in the BA forum Sticky thread.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by m1tchyj
Update: Account went to pending due to fraud verification. Faxed in a couple documents. Should be okay.
Update: took 13 days after faxing documents to update my application, and called each day to check it and push along the approval which occurred at the same time.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:13 am

Adding my data point, thanks to the help in this thread.

2/17 Applied using waived AF link in wiki, instant approval. Sent SM an hour later asking for 100K match.
2/18 Chase approves the 100K match!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:07 am

And to add my own data point as well:

Applied for no annual fee version (with bonus capped at 50,000 avios after $2000 spend in 3 months) on 2/16. Application went pending, but approved on its own on 2/18. On 2/18, sent SM asking match of 100K avios offer, and the match was approved on 2/19. As noted in other posts above, in the message approving the match, they mention that I need to let Chase know after I've met the $10,000 and $20,000 marks, so they can manually add the additional bonus at those times.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:11 am

adding another successful 100k match data point.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by muji
You were not denied, so that's a good start.

Quite often applicants get that message, and more often than not a decision (especially if it's a decision in favor of approval) is made within just a day or two. Myself, I applied for a Chase card just two days ago, got that very same message, and the following morning when I logged into my Chase accounts I saw that the new account was already listed there (indicating that I had been approved).

So, maybe in a day or two log into Chase, assuming you already have an account with them, and hopefully your new account will be shown there. Good luck, and report back.
Got this same message on 2/18. Called in...rep verified some details; asked about why I had opened 10 accounts in the last 2 yrs. I told him to categorize expenses, which he was happy to hear. He moved $10k from my Hyatt card but said a different team would be making the final decision (never heard that before!) and I would be notified. Called in on 2/23 to see if final decision has been made...no dice...said I will be notified of final decision in 1-2 weeks from application.

Anyone else had this experience? Any input is much appreciated!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chandu2013
Got this same message on 2/18. Called in...rep verified some details; asked about why I had opened 10 accounts in the last 2 yrs. I told him to categorize expenses, which he was happy to hear. He moved $10k from my Hyatt card but said a different team would be making the final decision (never heard that before!) and I would be notified. Called in on 2/23 to see if final decision has been made...no dice...said I will be notified of final decision in 1-2 weeks from application.

Anyone else had this experience? Any input is much appreciated!
It's widely known now NOT to call in if your app goes pending with any chase cards, it has been reported that people with high credit scores have been denied cards for calling in and asking what is up with thier apps. So just wait it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.