Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9volt
Would this card be worth keeping just for the Travel Together ticket?

If I could MS $30k a year, and aside from the taxes and fees, it seems to me paying $95 for a complimentary business class seat is a pretty good deal.

Even better if I could get the $95 waived, of course.

Thoughts?
Do you know how many avios a business class award would cost you?

Do you realize how much the "taxes and fees" might cost you?

The cert can only be used on BA flights, and IIRC, round trip only as well. But I am not sure about the R/T part because this is some pretty worthless feature to 90% of the people getting this card. MS or no MS.

It sounds like you have very little knowledge on how BA program works, you really need to get yourself familiar on that first before getting this card, let alone thinking about spending $30K to get the companion cert - which many had done so when the BA card was first introduced in 2009, quickly found out it was not as nice as it was presented. Many actually abandoned their certs... And that was before 2 or 3 devaluations of the BA program...

If paying a ton of Avios, plus $$$$ on the complimentary business class seat is OK with you, then may be...
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy
If paying a ton of Avios, plus $$$$ on the complimentary business class seat is OK with you, then may be...
Yeah, just looked up the Avios rates. It's a lot. Thanks for the insight.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I for one have taken advantage of the 2for1 Travel Together ticket for the last couple of years. I was able to rack up points due to my $30k spend annually and also due to business travel at 2 points per $1 spent on BA International BC flights.

With the program devaluations as well as the earnings changes (on Everyday spend) I will cancel the card when my annual fee comes due next month. I have already moved my credit balance over to two other Chase cards in anticipation of cancelling the card.

I enjoyed the 2for1's while the ride lasted (even with the taxes and fees) but the award costs have gone up while the earning potential has gone down.....add to that the crappy food and service I have had during my last two Business Class flight on them to Europe from the US and I'm done! The 56k points I have in the program are safe since I can always transfer in points from AMEX MR, CSP UR and SPG.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:54 am

As others have posted I have found value in the travel together cert in the recent past but with all the devaluations that have hit BA both on the spend and earn side it really only *may* make sense for F. Even then you'd have to think hard about it. For lesser classes it is a total waste.

The irony is during the recent BA J class sale you could buy a J ticket for less than the YQ fees on an awards ticket. Wife and I both currently have travel together certs that I suspect will expire before I get to use them.

Also like others here I'll be reevaluating whether to keep this card. Basically its only two redeeming values (outside any sign-on bonus) are the 10% off on BA flights and the travel together cert.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BoeingOrNotGoing
Not a nice way to treat new potentially new customers. My wifes app went pending and certainly didn't want to put her through a call with someone grilling her, but after checking her account online today it was approved with a generous CL.
anyone has a link to check app status online?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Applied two weeks ago and never called in. Still have not heard anything back...
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did DH's app using the 50K link in wiki. Instant approval decent line.

His prev BA was a bumped up from 50k to 100K with spend. The initial 50K was earned in Oct 2013. The first 25K spend bonus was in Feb 2014. There were only 2 lone data pts so far that only the first 50K counted for the purpose of 24 months. Hopefully it remains the case.

Note the information on earning shown at the side bar has been updated to $1 for 1 avio on all purchases outside BA. Gone is the 1.25 avios earning wording.

I dont believe anyone has BA card still can earn 1.25 per $ spent since the effective date of devaluation regardless what the wording was on the original T&Cs at application - issuer can change program rules anytime - if you dont like it you can opt out, meaning cancel the card.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 2, 2015 at 1:56 pm
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I have now verified the bonus on the link in the thread.....earn the 1.25x Avios per dollar for a year!
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
That would be VERY surprising given that they just eliminated it from all their existing card holders! Please let us know after you get your 1st statement.
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
I have it in writing. It is not surprising at all as Chase cannot negative change the card for the first 12 months, so I will earn the 1.25x rate for the first 12 months...
Originally Posted by Happy
Gone is the 1.25 avios earning wording.
I dont believe anyone has BA card still can earn 1.25 per $ spent since the effective date of devaluation regardless what the wording was on the original T&Cs at application - issuer can change program rules anytime - if you dont like it you can opt out, meaning cancel the card.
So Wrath, please update.....are you getting the 1.25x rate?

Last edited by BOSOGG; Dec 2, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:01 pm

My first statement earned 1.25 points per dollar. Haven't made any purchases on dh's card yet.

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:16 am

[QUOTE=diseased;25810729]My first statement earned 1.25 points per dollar. Haven't made any purchases on dh's card yet./QUOTE]

Thank you for posting statement! My assumption sure was wrong. Anyone else getting the 1.25x?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
[QUOTE=BOSOGG;25812138]
Originally Posted by diseased
My first statement earned 1.25 points per dollar. Haven't made any purchases on dh's card yet./QUOTE]

Thank you for posting statement! My assumption sure was wrong. Anyone else getting the 1.25x?
i am. i applied oct. 2nd with a link that said i'd get 1.25x. the link is dead now.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:14 pm
CDO
Suspended

Got approved and card is on its way but I do see my BA account under my profile but it says next to it: "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to make monthly payments by the due date."

How could it be closed if I have not even activated it yet? Is this normal?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDO
Got approved and card is on its way but I do see my BA account under my profile but it says next to it: "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to make monthly payments by the due date."

How could it be closed if I have not even activated it yet? Is this normal?
This usually happens when Chase decides to close your accounts.

Are your other Chase cards still active? Looks like Chase shuts down your new card - someone reviewed your accounts and decided to close the newly approved BA card. Your other cards might follow...

How many new cards you have opened with Chase recently? How many new cards you opened this year?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, BA, DL, SPG and Marriott
I got the BA 100k promo back in 2010. They will charge me the annual fee on Jan statement. I plan to close the account before that when I get to 50k avios in my account.

Will I be eligible for the current promo up to 100k in Jan after I close this account out?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by 91lsc
I got the BA 100k promo back in 2010. They will charge me the annual fee on Jan statement. I plan to close the account before that when I get to 50k avios in my account.

Will I be eligible for the current promo up to 100k in Jan after I close this account out?

Thanks in advance.
The way I read and interpret the Terms you are eligible, as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

The other question is how much time to wait between cancelling old card and applying for new. Do they see it? If they see it, do they care?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.