Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:02 pm

I'm not clear why I have to send Chase a SM to match, when the original offer link was what I had agreed to apply for.

I am not asking to match any current offer, just for Chase to honor the original offer.

Originally Posted by Olly-
You should have sent Chase a SM straight after approval to request the match, then they would have approved your request and asked that you SM them again when you hit the 10k and 20k thresholds to have the extra Avios added.

It sounds like you didn't message them after approval to request the match and if you didn't ask them to match within the first 90 days then you're out of luck.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:03 pm

Have you paid the annual fee or was it waived?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:09 pm

Original offer had AF 1st year waived.

Problem is, is the only proof I have now of the promo, is the original link I had applied through, which obviously now shows as expired.

So I was wondering if they could somehow look back at this link.

Have you paid the annual fee or was it waived?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:33 pm

I don't think they offered the 100k bonus with the annual fee waived last year? The fee waived offer was for 50k.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:42 pm

That was the offer I applied for, so I'm wondering if there have been similar experiences where Chase does not acknowledge the promo you applied for, and what are some ways to resolve this?

I don't think they offered the 100k bonus with the annual fee waived last year? The fee waived offer was for 50k.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahchiu
Applied for the BA card back in Dec. 2015. Specs were $2k in 3mos for 50k avios, $10k for additional 25k avios, $20k for additional 25k avios, within first year. $95 AF waived.
You got your memory mixed up. The 25K/$10K additional spend x 2 version NEVER was offered with 1st year AF waived.

If you applied the card with the 1st AF waived then your offer is the 50K / $2K spend. Period.

You will NOT find any previous screen shot of that offer in your memory because such offer NEVER existed based on your claim of 1st year fee waived.

However, Chase at that time did match the better offer when people PMed to request such match. Many have done so.

If you have never requested the match at the time when the 50K+25K/$10K+25K/$10K first year fee NOT waived offer was available, you are SOL.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not clear why I have to send Chase a SM to match, when the original offer link was what I had agreed to apply for.

I am not asking to match any current offer, just for Chase to honor the original offer.
The original offer if it was 1st year fee waived, had only 50K after $2K spend. In order to get the spend bonus like the one with first year fee NOT waived, you need to ask Chase to match, within 90 days of your initial approval.

Correct.

That was the offer I applied for, so I'm wondering if there have been similar experiences where Chase does not acknowledge the promo you applied for, and what are some ways to resolve this?
So now you are saying you did not apply the 100K offer but the 50K offer with fee waived.

Did you not get your 50K or you were thinking you should get 100K but you never SM / call Chase for a match then now you are thinking how to remedy that so you could get additional 50K? Dont think that would ever happen because the period to request a match has been long gone and the 100K offer with fee NOT waived was also long gone.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 27, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:59 am

Got my 50k, and wanted the 100k, but did not SM Chase.

Was this "SM to Chase" to match technique advertised, or mentioned in the Wiki, I guess I wasn't aware this was mandatory?

I may be SOL now, but do you think threatening to cancel the card would persuade Chase to somehow match now?

Just looking for options now...

Did you not get your 50K or you were thinking you should get 100K but you never SM / call Chase for a match then now you are thinking how to remedy that so you could get additional 50K? Dont think that would ever happen because the period to request a match has been long gone and the 100K offer with fee NOT waived was also long gone.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was this "SM to Chase" to match technique advertised, or mentioned in the Wiki, I guess I wasn't aware this was mandatory?
Chase has a policy that if a better public offer is available within 90 days you have applied the same product, it would match the better public offer ONLY WHEN YOU REQUEST IT. This is not automatically done. Not only common sense tells you this would not be automatically done for obvious reasons but there are NUMEROUS mentioning in various Chase threads about asking for a match either by phone or by SM.

In all fairness Chase did NOT even need to match the 100K offer because that offer required cardholder to pay the $95 AF so it could easily NOT to match it but it did anyway when asked.

Learn the lesson - Wiki is not fool proof. There is nothing can substitute READING the threads and LEARN something from reading than only rely on what is in the Wiki which is depending on who posts in the wiki and either is guaranteed accurate or is timely. It is nothing more that a general summary of data points available. For the most accurate and most timely info, again, no substitute than spending some time to Read and Read Some More.

I may be SOL now, but do you think threatening to cancel the card would persuade Chase to somehow match now?
You are not serious, aren't you?

Chase would happily cancel your card the moment you said you did not want the card now because you did not get what you thought you should but you never applied for / nor asked for a match...

May want to read the retention thread to see how much Chase would give in...

None that exists.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 28, 2016 at 4:25 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Lesson learned, however, nothing is stopping you from calling and seeing what retention offer they give you. Don't threaten them, just ask what kind of offer they can give you not to cancel the card. Also remember that to get the bonus again you have to wait 24 months from the time you applied for the card the first time.

A side note, if you do cancel the card, transfer your credit line to another chase card before you cancel your card this is a easy way to get approved for another chase card, all they have to do it moved your credit line around. Just remember to move your credit line BEFORE canceling your card.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Lesson learned, however, nothing is stopping you from calling and seeing what retention offer they give you. Don't threaten them, just ask what kind of offer they can give you not to cancel the card. Also remember that to get the bonus again you have to wait 24 months from the time you applied for the card the first time.
That is not correct. As discussed in detail elsewhere, it's 24 months from receipt of the bonus, which is obviously later than the application date.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
That is not correct. As discussed in detail elsewhere, it's 24 months from receipt of the bonus, which is obviously later than the application date.
Also in the BA card situation, Chase has changed its policy to count the spend bonus as well. That means the 24 months starts from the LAST bonus earned from the BA card - that could be from between Month 2 to Month 12 of your owning that card depending on WHEN you earned your last bonus!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
Also in the BA card situation, Chase has changed its policy to count the spend bonus as well. That means the 24 months starts from the LAST bonus earned from the BA card - that could be from between Month 2 to Month 12 of your owning that card depending on WHEN you earned your last bonus!
Correctamundo.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:24 pm

got the 50k/$2,000 in 3 months and 25k/$15,000 in one year offer.

I already finished $2k min spend. Do I need to spend the extra $15k to get the 25k bonus or spend $13,000 extra to get the 25k?
I am assuming the latter? Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by delaynomore
got the 50k/$2,000 in 3 months and 25k/$15,000 in one year offer.

I already finished $2k min spend. Do I need to spend the extra $15k to get the 25k bonus or spend $13,000 extra to get the 25k?
I am assuming the latter? Thanks.
why not ask Chase yourself I would hate for someone to give you advice and it was wrong. Send them a SM and ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.