Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:56 am

Sounds like you got somebody else's bonus. My wife and I have had/have BA cards. My wife got an extra 25k during one of her spend bonuses which was never clawed back. Another time Chase/BA was having issues with Avios posting and during that time I got somebody else's CC spend (some random about in the 20k range). BA did claw that back and correct it posting what I was due which was a whole lot less :-). So I'd say you have a non-zero risk of clawback but probably not that high. My clawback occurred within two weeks.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:35 pm

Hoping we keep our luck then, and this bonus doesn't get clawed back
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by CDO
Got approved and card is on its way but I do see my BA account under my profile but it says next to it: "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to make monthly payments by the due date."

How could it be closed if I have not even activated it yet? Is this normal?
Wanted to follow up because I had a similar experience. Card approved and activated and charged annual fee. After three months of being open I see the message "You account is closed and no longer available for use..."

Called Chase and rep informed me that I would have to speak to a special dept as he didn't know why the account was closed. Asked him if this indicates some problem and he confirmed that.

Rest of my chase cards (biz/personal) don't seem to be affected (yet).

I am kinda peeved that they took my annual fee on the one hand but didn't want to dig deeper about the issue for fear of raising flags and about my other chase cards.

My record with Chase is generally good and I don't use any MS shenanigans.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
After approval using the link in Wiki, asked for matck to 100K offer using SM. They allowed it! Not sure if I can spend that much on the card, but good to have it anyways.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:06 am

"Application page for the old 50K offer with annual fee waived the first year; requires $2K spend in 3 months. No landing page available, but one FTer has confirmed the bonus terms by phone and another used it successfully in Feb. 2016."

So reading last few pages it sounds like 50k with no AF is still a thing? I don't have to do anything beside apply through that link correct? I mean, I don't need to SM or call to get AF waiver?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun
"Application page for the old 50K offer with annual fee waived the first year; requires $2K spend in 3 months. No landing page available, but one FTer has confirmed the bonus terms by phone and another used it successfully in Feb. 2016."

So reading last few pages it sounds like 50k with no AF is still a thing? I don't have to do anything beside apply through that link correct? I mean, I don't need to SM or call to get AF waiver?
That is indeed correct

Cheer!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:40 pm

Applied for spouse using link in the wiki and received instant approval.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Got approved for card using 50k with no AF link in wiki. Card is now showing up in my Chase account. Is there any reason to wait until I actually get the card or make a purchase before sending a secure message asking for a match to the 25K+25K offer?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
Originally Posted by JTravers
Here's a strange (but fortuitous) thing that happened to me.

I got my Chase BA card in January 2014, I believe. Got the last 25K Avios of the 100K spend bonus on June 2014. I've been thinking about canceling the card lately since the 24 month time span from earning the bonus is getting close (I'm assuming the 24 months is from the date of earning the bonus and not closing of the account -- maybe I misunderstood).

I've been redeeming my wife's Avios lately for our flights so I haven't checked my BA account in a while. To my complete surprise, I noticed 50K Avios credited to my account in December and then another 25K in January and 25K more in February. I have no idea where these Avios came from. The transaction history shows them as "BA VISA BONUS AVIOS."

Any ideas how this happened? Should I be worried about the bonus Avios getting removed from my account? I checked my Chase statements and don't see any mention of these bonuses at all.
Sounds like you may have gotten one of my bonuses. I finished up the 100k offer and was expecting the last 25k to post to my BA account in Feb. My chase statement showed them as earned but they never showed up in my BA. When my March avios posted I message chase and they replied the missing points will post in 30 days.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by shutter41
Got approved for card using 50k with no AF link in wiki. Card is now showing up in my Chase account. Is there any reason to wait until I actually get the card or make a purchase before sending a secure message asking for a match to the 25K+25K offer?
FWIW, I was approved in Feb for the no AF version and sent an SM asking to match to the 100k offer after making the 2k spend for the 50k bonus, and they agreed. Probably doesn't matter when you time it - there haven't been any reports of them denying the match that I'm aware of.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:03 pm

Just signed up a couple months ago, but even though I've have it long enough to have received two statements (Feb and Mar) I've received no points in my BA account. I confirmed that the number on my credit card matches my BA account number. Anyone have an idea of what might be the issue?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Sounds like you got somebody else's bonus. My wife and I have had/have BA cards. My wife got an extra 25k during one of her spend bonuses which was never clawed back. Another time Chase/BA was having issues with Avios posting and during that time I got somebody else's CC spend (some random about in the 20k range). BA did claw that back and correct it posting what I was due which was a whole lot less :-). So I'd say you have a non-zero risk of clawback but probably not that high. My clawback occurred within two weeks.
I wonder if that's what happened to my Avios..... I logged on to my BA.com account this AM and noticed that the 50k bonus hadn't posted, or the purchase points, or even the purchase points from last month (the first month I had the card)

Called Chase to confirm the Avios number that they have on record and it is correct. Now on hold with BA (currently at 15 min) to see whats going on.

Has anyone come across this?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:18 am

I just read in The Points Guy that British Air Travel Together coupons are not valid if you cancel your card, but that some people "still see the pass" in their accounts. I am in this situation. Does anyone know if the pass will still work if I try to use it?
Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
As of now I could only confirm by phone the 50K bonus in $2K spent offer. The card shows up on my account online with no annual fee charged. Will wait for the card to arrive and call again and bump the bonus.
Finally was able to spend $10K on the no-annual fee card and was credited 25K via SM after statement close.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by runb4fun

Has anyone recently signed up with this link that can confirm 50K after 2K spend with no annual fee first year?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.