Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:37 pm

I got the bump-up to 100k offer from the old 50k offer. But I have to send an SM to them for the extra 25k/50k avios after I make $10k/$20k purchase. That's the downside, as the bonus is not credited automatically. But this should mean that no annual fee will be added with the latest 100k offer. I guess I'll just SM them once after I hit $20k.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
After getting the 100k card for my daughter, we sent SM and asked for the 95 to be waived and they graciously agreed.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
After getting the 100k card for my daughter, we sent SM and asked for the 95 to be waived and they graciously agreed.
What's your reasoning to convince them? Because if they did it for you, then they have to do it for everyone who asks. That's a huge revenue loss.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
What's your reasoning to convince them? Because if they did it for you, then they have to do it for everyone who asks. That's a huge revenue loss.
Well there is/was the waived first year offer, so probably just matching that.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Well there is/was the waived first year offer, so probably just matching that.
AF isn't waived on 100K offer
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Your question implies disapproval of us having done so. I asked if they would waive the fee and they did. They could have said no, they didn't, end of story. I shared for the collective benefit. Your point?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AA BAEC
Question for those approved for the card: does the welcome letter usually mention the bonus? I just received my card, but there's no mention of bonus miles, I did have the card previously but last bonus was more than 24 months ago.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... if they did it for you, then they have to do it for everyone who asks....
Why would they "have" to do this? Card issuers do not give everyone who asks the same retention bonus, or any retention bonus.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:01 pm

They do not HAVE to do anything. I have gotten my AF reimbursed the past 2 years on my Barc Arrival yet the majority of people here have had no success in doing the same. Wife got her AF reimbursed on her Ink, yet I couldn't even get 1k UR...basically same same spend
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Statement closed and my purchase Avios did post except the 50,000 bonus did not. Called Chase and the agent confirmed that Chase did forward 50000 to BA.
So now it's up to BA to post them to the account (6 to 8 weeks)
Did any one's first bonus post yet? How long after the first statement?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Statement closed and my purchase Avios did post except the 50,000 bonus did not. Called Chase and the agent confirmed that Chase did forward 50000 to BA.
Did you read the section of the wiki labeled Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by beltway
Did you read the section of the wiki labeled Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
Yep that's why I asked....

Last edited by iqbalt80; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

For those considering applying for this card, be aware that BAEC is eliminating the 4,500-Avios redemption tier for short-haul (< 651-mile) nonstop flights on AA/AS effective February, 2016. After the change, those flights will cost 7,500 Avios one way in Economy, 15,000 Avios in Business, and 30,000 Avios in First.

Discussion can be found in the FT BA forum.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Yep that's why I asked....
What is the answer on this part - the underlined part just under the section beltway asked whether you have read it?

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

If you have read it, and your conditions do NOT fall into the underlined part, then you may not be eligible for the bonus. Else, the underlined part already provided you the reason why your 50K not showing up yet.

Were the 50K on your Chase statement? If not, then what the Chase CSR told you was WRONG. The bonus has NOT posted to your Chase account yet, let alone being sent to BA. It will show up on your next statement and then be sent to BA.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Would this card be worth keeping just for the Travel Together ticket?

If I could MS $30k a year, and aside from the taxes and fees, it seems to me paying $95 for a complimentary business class seat is a pretty good deal.

Even better if I could get the $95 waived, of course.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.