Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
We are talking about churning the cards, getting another sign up bonus - not the first year bonus. Except the Plat card, most AMEX cards waive the first year fee.

Are you saying Canada AMEX cards can be churned in less than 12 months hiatus between cards? I have a serious doubt on that. I also suspect you are totally confused on the topic of the conversation we carried here.
I'm talking about churning Amex in Canada. Talk on the forum is wait three months and reapply for the sign up bonus. Although, it's been done even sooner than 3 months.

I've done reapplications within a year and received the full sign up bonus and first year fee waived.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ex-canada.html
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I'm talking about churning Amex in Canada. Talk on the forum is wait three months and reapply for the sign up bonus. Although, it's been done even sooner than 3 months.

I've done reapplications within a year and received the full sign up bonus and first year fee waived.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ex-canada.html
But your bonus is a lot lower than the US cards, like a 25K versus the 50 or 75K we see here, no? But if you can get 3 cards a year, that makes up for it.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slhansen219
You said "The BA forum has a thread dedicated to how to use Avios" Could you perhaps lead me to that forum?? There are just so many out there, I may never find the right one.

Thank you all my FlyerTalk Friends & Experts!!! I'm learning a lot!!!
You are on Flyertalk - right at the TOP of the page, Dont you see a tab "Forum"? Forum/Miles&Points that brings up all the airline and hotel forums for you to see.

Virtually every airline which FF program is worth anything, (so as hotels) has its own forum on Flyertalk.

Since you thought AA miles are more valuable - I strongly urge you to check out AA forum as well (it has a very well-written FAQs on AA in general). The current award availability situation on AA is NOT GOOD. In fact it is VERY BAD. You should read the related AA award threads to get a dose of reality since 18 months ago and just gets worse and worse. I am sorry about the bad news but it is better to have a realistic expectation before you once again make similar mistake.

Go to individual forum and do a search using keywords, you should be able to find the relevant threads.

In case you have no idea how to do a search, Flyertalk also has its own FAQ under Help. May worth your time to learn something on how to more effectively use Flyertalk.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA
Data point: Applied for original 100k offer in February 2011. Received points, and canceled around March 2012. Applied for 50k offer in September 2013. Received points in October 2013. So the length of time between applications was greater than two years, but the date between cancellation and second application were less than two years.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by txrandom
Data point: Applied for original 100k offer in February 2011. Received points, and canceled around March 2012. Applied for 50k offer in September 2013. Received points in October 2013. So the length of time between applications was greater than two years, but the date between cancellation and second application were less than two years.
I too have a similar timeline for my last BA application, but I have not applied. How many Chase CC's do you have and when was the last time you applied for other Chase CC's?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
But your bonus is a lot lower than the US cards, like a 25K versus the 50 or 75K we see here, no? But if you can get 3 cards a year, that makes up for it.
I'm not sure if the differences are that big. I see bonuses offered to American when we travel south of the border and haven't really fell off my seat (Amex)

Plus, currently we have referral bonuses of 10k points. I've referred my wife and vice versa a number of times.

We also get CX gold on the regular plat and 1.25 to 1.5 points in our Amex platinum cards. There is also the period transfer bonuses that help.

But with Avios I remember a 15k bonus with first year fee waived. Now its 45k bonus if spending 3k in first 3 months with a $165 annual fee (no first year waived)
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by eknock007
I too have a similar timeline for my last BA application, but I have not applied. How many Chase CC's do you have and when was the last time you applied for other Chase CC's?
I had an Ink card from April and a United Club card from July.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
You are on Flyertalk - right at the TOP of the page, Dont you see a tab "Forum"? Forum/Miles&Points that brings up all the airline and hotel forums for you to see.

Virtually every airline which FF program is worth anything, (so as hotels) has its own forum on Flyertalk.

Since you thought AA miles are more valuable - I strongly urge you to check out AA forum as well (it has a very well-written FAQs on AA in general). The current award availability situation on AA is NOT GOOD. In fact it is VERY BAD. You should read the related AA award threads to get a dose of reality since 18 months ago and just gets worse and worse. I am sorry about the bad news but it is better to have a realistic expectation before you once again make similar mistake.

Go to individual forum and do a search using keywords, you should be able to find the relevant threads.

In case you have no idea how to do a search, Flyertalk also has its own FAQ under Help. May worth your time to learn something on how to more effectively use Flyertalk.
Thanks! I'm still finding my way around!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Million Miler Premier Platinum, Marriott Gold
Angry Good Luck Trying to Redeem Your Chase BA Avios Bonus

As I highlighted in the BA Avios forum earlier - I find myself sitting with 154,000 Avios points generated through 2 years of spending and bonus spend and a companion redemption certificate for $30,000 spend this year on Chase BA Visa card...and not a single date for 2 business class tickets to redeem TPA - LGW (the only direct option from Tampa) for entire 120 day window Jan - April 2014....at least with Delta and UA Mileage Plus card there is limited availability on some dates, but really, this is ridiculous and can assure once I find a seat sometime - maybe over entire calendar year to redeem, will cancel card and move away from this take the bait and close out move.

Chase may want to consider reviewing points like this in there partner card alliances, as there certainly are much better options out there and not much use having accumulated all these Avios miles and redemptions if one can rarely if ever find a seat to use it on.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadianGold1
As I highlighted in the BA Avios forum earlier - I find myself sitting with 154,000 Avios points generated through 2 years of spending and bonus spend and a companion redemption certificate for $30,000 spend this year on Chase BA Visa card...and not a single date for 2 business class tickets to redeem TPA - LGW (the only direct option from Tampa) for entire 120 day window Jan - April 2014....at least with Delta and UA Mileage Plus card there is limited availability on some dates, but really, this is ridiculous and can assure once I find a seat sometime - maybe over entire calendar year to redeem, will cancel card and move away from this take the bait and close out move.

Chase may want to consider reviewing points like this in there partner card alliances, as there certainly are much better options out there and not much use having accumulated all these Avios miles and redemptions if one can rarely if ever find a seat to use it on.
You should have done your own homework on award scenario if you have a SPECIFIC award in mind for you to sign up this card.

Nobody but you are responsible to determine whether the reality is what you hope for or expect it to be, before you decided to put spend on your card, and especially to earn that restrictive Companion Certificate which literally boils down to PAY the Coach Cash Price but Travel in Business in all reality as the cash outlay on the hefty fuel surcharges and taxes amount to a coach ticket purchased out right. So with the added miles cost, you then fly in business class but with 2 BIG Caveats - 1) You are subject to the award availability versus buying a coach ticket does not. 2) You do not earn miles instead you shell out 100K miles to get that privilege.

In many people's book this Companion Cert is not a good deal but only after doing some homework and hard calculation would a layman realizes that, though this has been talked ad nausea times ever since BA Visa card is introduced. Amazingly still always someone who did not get it until after the fact (making the mistake).

Do the homework first, on all "deals" to determine if that makes sense to you for your own needs!

I know we would NEVER put $30K on BA to earn that useless (to us) companion cert because we dont see why we need to take BA and pay that hefty fuel surcharge to go to Europe with so many other options around.

That does not mean we do not collect Avios. We do!

We actually LOVE our Avios which serve as a "Glue" as one FTer puts it - to add to our other long haul awards to make an extensive trip.

Last year we had 2 cruises out from FCO. Using AA awards we flew to VIE a week before the cruise, visited Budapest from Vienna, and spent a few days in Vienna. From Vienna we used 4500 Avios and $50 taxes to fly AB to FCO and started our 1st cruise that was r/t Rome. The 2nd cruise was a Transatlantic Rome to Ft. Lauderdale.

This year we used a total of 4 Avios awards. In Aug we redeemed 4500 Avios + $7.50 taxes to fly from St. Petersburg to Moscow on S7. Even got an upgrade to Business class at the gate. (Our BPs beeped and the gate agent looked up the screen, found our seat assignments changed from row 5 to row 1 and 2 :-) Excellent crew with very attentive services. The Express Train between St. Pete and Moscow would be 4+ hours long and costs $120 to $150 each. 4500 Avios + $7.50 I dont think anyone could think Avios are useless.

Towards the 2nd half of the trip we also had 4500 Avios and $48.50 tax to fly from Berlin to Stuttgart in Germany on AB. The train would be a combination of fast and regional, costs well over 120 Euro each and get this, almost 7 hours long! Again, AVios are great here.

In coming December and January, we have a 7500 Avios + $19.30 taxes flying MH from KUL to BKK. 4 days later we have another 7500 Avios + $50xx taxes flying CX BKK to HKG. These are average value of redemption but they save us hundreds of cash versus buying revenue tickets on the LCCs, which in KUL uses a less convenient terminal than Malaysia Airlines.

Great use of Avios!

Last edited by Happy; Oct 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
You should have done your own homework on award scenario if you have a SPECIFIC award in mind for you to sign up this card.

Nobody but you are responsible to determine whether the reality is what you hope for or expect it to be, before you decided to put spend on your card, and especially to earn that restrictive Companion Certificate which literally boils down to PAY the Coach Cash Price but Travel in Business in all reality as the cash outlay on the hefty fuel surcharges and taxes amount to a coach ticket purchased out right. So with the added miles cost, you then fly in business class but with 2 BIG Caveats - 1) You are subject to the award availability versus buying a coach ticket does not. 2) You do not earn miles instead you shell out 100K miles to get the privilege.

In many people's book this is not a good deal but only after doing some homework and hard calculation would a layman realizes that, though this has been talked ad nausea times ever since BA Visa card is introduced. Amazingly still always someone who did not get it until after the fact (or mistake made).

Do the homework first, on all "deals" to determine if that makes sense to you for your own needs!

I know we would NEVER put $30K on BA to earn that useless (to us) companion cert because we dont see why we need to take BA and pay that hefty fuel surcharge to go to Europe with so many other options around.

That does not mean we do not collect Avios. We do!

We actually LOVE our Avios which serve as a "Glue" as one FTer puts it - to add to our other long haul awards to make an extensive trip.

Last year we had 2 cruises out from FCO. Using AA awards we flew to VIE a week before the cruise, visited Budapest from Vienna, and spent a few days in Vienna. From Vienna we used 4500 Avios and $50 taxes to fly AB to FCO and started our 1st cruise that was r/t Rome. The 2nd cruise was a Transatlantic Rome to Ft. Lauderdale.

This year we used a total of 4 Avios awards. In Aug we redeemed 4500 Avios + $7.50 taxes to fly from St. Petersburg to Moscow on S7. Even got an upgrade to Business class at the gate. (Our BPs beeped and the gate agent looked up the screen, found our seat assignments changed from row 5 to row 1 and 2 :-) Excellent crew with very attentive services. Towards the 2nd half of the trip we also had 4500 Avios and $48.50 tax to fly from Berlin to Stuttgart in Germany/

In coming December and January, we have a 7500 Avios + $19.30 taxes flying MH from KUL to BKK. 4 days later we have another 7500 Avios + $50xx taxes flying CX BKK to HKG.

Great use of Avios!
+1

I'm glad someone else said it.

Last edited by Kay_nyc; Oct 16, 2013 at 5:43 pm
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Similar in Canada.. Absolute slim pickings for Business Class. Its there, but too few and far between for this guy trying to see if I can redeem 4 business class tickets. Just can't make sense of the companion ticket benefit at all, based on availability. Sorry to hear that the US is underserved severely.

I haven't committed yet to collect one Avios point. I'm considering transferring 200K Amex MR on a big bonus promotion. Seems shorthaul on coach to the partner hubs is the way to go, if I'm looking to redeem Avios.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slhansen219
Thanks! I'm still finding my way around!
My suggestion is to take a day and just explore, Flyertalk's (TF) web site is pretty self explanatory and is very easy to figure out...
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

The other side of the coin is, look at other gateway cities to fly out of, it sounds like you are very new to this game/hobby and are making the typical newbie mistakes. Go to the OneWorld forum and read posting about how to use Avios points.... Not too sure why you are posting in a CC forum..
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Go to the OneWorld forum and read posting about how to use Avios points.
Better still, this thread in the BA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vios-beta.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.