Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please continue the discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1985871-chase-avios-earning-credit-cards-ba-air-lingus-iberia-up-100k-avios-more.html

Up to 100K Avios - 50K after $3K spend/3 mos. plus 50K after $20K spend in 12 months($95 AF)
  • https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/british-airways
New benefits (August 2019):

Now with up to $600 in statement credits for award taxes and fees PER CALENDAR YEAR. 3x$200 or 3x $100 depending on class booked. See the details for flight restrictions, etc, here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/statement-credit

The calendar year restriction means that you can use it twice in the upcoming months, 3x on or before Dec 31 and 3x again after Jan 1 or a total of up to $1200.

10% back on flights booked at BA.com using the code CHASEBA10.
The details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/rewards-redemption/save-10percent

Avios can be combined or moved between Iberia and Air Lingus accounts.
Chase also offers sign up bonuses on Air LIngus and Iberia co-branded airline credit cards. (As of August 2019's offers both are tiered 100K Avios offers) This allows big spenders that are under 5/24 to get up to 300K in sign up bonuses, plus combine points to book at BA.com for flights and get the fuel surcharge refund and 10% off.
See the BA forum and this thread in the Chase forum for Avios earnings strategies: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1980400-anyone-else-racking-up-avios-points.html

Spending $30,000 will earn a Companion Fare "Travel Together" ticket.
Details are here: https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/british-airways/travel-together/travel-together

Downgrades: Chase offers a no fee BA card. It's not available for new applications but can be accessed via a downgrade from the standard, $95 a year card. When the annual fee comes due you can downgrade/ product change to the British Airways rewards credit card with no annual fee and thereby preserve your card number, credit line and Average Age of Account. It's unclear whether the fee free card will get the new perks (August 2019) of an award fee rebate. Perhaps someone with the fee free card can make a dummy booking and update us here at FT.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously? How long do I have to wait before reapplying? Should I call if my application is held for further review and not approved instantly?
A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward
Q. Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?
A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your hotel/airline account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.
Print Wikipost

Chase BA VISA: Up to 100K Avios - Now with rebate on award fees

Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by flightmedic
...I can't apply for any Citi cards for a while ...
Currently one card per week, 2 per 65 days. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Currently one card per week, 2 per 65 days. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html
I'm gonna laugh when you guys all have to call to cancel after a year and the Reps have been told to escalate your cards for whatever reason.

I mean that in the nicest way possible, not in a douche-y way, I swear.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I'm gonna laugh when you guys all have to call to cancel after a year and the Reps have been told to escalate your cards for whatever reason.

Who calls ? SM
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp

Sorry for the newb question, but what do you mean by "escalate your cards"?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: All of em...
Safe to say you can get this card & bonus again if your first BA card was received 2 years ago, right?

Figure with the Chase Gift card deals still going right now....not much reason to not go for it. Free min spend - hopefully free miles!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Safe to say you can get this card & bonus again if your first BA card was received 2 years ago, right?

Figure with the Chase Gift card deals still going right now....not much reason to not go for it. Free min spend - hopefully free miles!
BUT Chase has in the past had a 100K BA offer, I'm hoping for a report again at the end of the year or the start of next year.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
BUT Chase has in the past had a 100K BA offer, I'm hoping for a report again at the end of the year or the start of next year.
I'd rather get 50k miles for free (no ann fee) than 100k for $95 or $150 depending on how it was structured, or make a $10k min spend, etc... Avios aren't worth that much to me as I can hardly ever get availability and from where I fly, short haul isn't that viable.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'd rather get 50k miles for free (no ann fee) than 100k for $95 or $150 depending on how it was structured, or make a $10k min spend, etc... Avios aren't worth that much to me as I can hardly ever get availability and from where I fly, short haul isn't that viable.
Avios have a much better use for me on short flights on AA then on BA, since I refuse to pay the Fuel Surcharge on award tickets.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:14 am

tempted to to do this as well but I think I need to wait until the end of the offer term as I had to call recon after having 3 new cards with chase this year....likely will have to do that either way but... I guess I will wait.

of course the benefit of getting one now is that the chase gift cards are still an option...
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:26 pm

This is not clear - to me at least. The T&C say in part:
This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.
If Chase really means what they say then you may not get the bonus.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:44 pm

IMO, no. If you closed your previous Chase BA 2 years or more ago, you might score a second bonus.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by uszkanni
This is not clear - to me at least. The T&C say in part:

If Chase really means what they say then you may not get the bonus.
Originally Posted by beltway
IMO, no. If you closed your previous Chase BA 2 years or more ago, you might score a second bonus.
Lots of people report churning Chase cards repeatedly on Dans Deals, and occasionally on Flyertalk... most people seem to have experiences a lot less similar to what the bloggers say (2 years for Chase), like the guy above who got 3 bonuses in 2 years. Just wondered if any other Flyertalkers had done it.

I'll add this to my churn in 9 days if the Chase Gift cards are still around and will report back if I get the bonus.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:56 pm

Lots of people report churning Chase cards repeatedly on Dans Deals, and occasionally on Flyertalk... most people seem to have experiences a lot less similar to what the bloggers say (2 years for Chase), like the guy above who got 3 bonuses in 2 years. Just wondered if any other Flyertalkers had done it.
A long-running discussion on the subject is in the master thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...solidated.html.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
A long-running discussion on the subject is in the master thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...solidated.html.
Right right... just while we're on the topic of this specific card, wondered who else had received it 2 or more times in the last few years, and more so in regards to this specific bonus. It's on topic.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:40 pm

I'll be a guinea pig. Applied for my 2nd BA card. First one 2+ years ago, canceled a year ago.

Approved no problem, $8,400 limit. Will post if I get the 50k, but I am feeling optimistic!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.