FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Converting from United Mileage Plus Select to Explorer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1489015-converting-united-mileage-plus-select-explorer.html)

10sjoec Jul 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Converting from United Mileage Plus Select to Explorer

I am interested in converting from the United Mileage Plus Select to the Explorer card because of the "No Foreign Transaction Fee". A few questions to see if anyone in this forum has recommendations:

1. Does the Explorer card has favorable foreign exchange rates? That is, the total amount charge for a foreign spending is better for the Explorer card than the Mileage Plus Select.

2. I have a long history with the Mileage Plus select and don't want to lose the credit history. Can I keep the same card number and credit history after converting to the Explorer card.

3. Any benefits on the Mileage Plus Select that is better than the Explorer, besides the lower annual fee?

A bit of background. I am a lifetime Premier Gold so I don't need the free check bags privileges. Main reason for change is the no foreign transaction fee.

Thanks.

Joe

JaysonW Jul 28, 2013 10:43 pm

1. I would think the rates from Chase would be the same.

2. Yes, just call Chase and tell them you want to do a product change/upgrade. Your account number will be the same, but remember you won't get any sign up bonuses.

3. None that I'm aware of.

PainCorp Jul 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by JaysonW (Post 21174368)
1. I would think the rates from Chase would be the same.

2. Yes, just call Chase and tell them you want to do a product change/upgrade. Your account number will be the same, but remember you won't get any sign up bonuses.

3. None that I'm aware of.

I would consider the much broader earning categories to be a huge benefit.

xiKiNGix Jul 29, 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 21174370)
I would consider the much broader earning categories to be a huge benefit.

This.

Also, are you sure you have to "convert," since they're different products? Or do you just not want to have to pay the annual fee on both?

biggestbopper Jul 29, 2013 12:59 am

IMHO, converting is a very bad idea. Just apply for a new card and GET THE BONUS!

Effect on credit rating is tiny if there even is one.

10sjoec Jul 29, 2013 1:02 am

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix (Post 21174643)
This.

Also, are you sure you have to "convert," since they're different products? Or do you just not want to have to pay the annual fee on both?

I only wanted one United credit card, and don't want to pay the fees on cards I don't use. I mainly my AMEX but I keep the United card for credit history reason since I had it the longest. I keep very few credit cards and regularly use only two of them (AMEX and United).

jmdeng Jul 29, 2013 2:13 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 21174664)
IMHO, converting is a very bad idea. Just apply for a new card and GET THE BONUS!

Effect on credit rating is tiny if there even is one.

And for both the Explorer card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred (another no foreign transaction fee card), there's no annual fee for the first year, so one could/would just cancel after one year and reapply, all while keeping the old Plus card untouched with the long credit history. BTW, if the old card is still used, it might be beneficial to send Chase a Secure Message when the annual fee pops up and say that you aren't happy with the annual fee and that you're wondering if they could offset it somehow for being a long time customer. They might pleasantly surprise.

IPG Jul 29, 2013 6:03 am

I think the Select card also gives you up to 5,000 PQM per year based on your United related purchases.

Neil35 Jul 29, 2013 7:58 am

To me the main strength of the MileagePlus Visa Select is the 1X PQM (up to 5,000 miles per year) and 3X RDM on United.com purchases. I also frequently take advantage of the 2X RDM on gas, dining and grocery.

What I am missing by not having the Explorer card is the chance for an upgrade on United award flights.

There should be cards out there that charge no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee, e.g., Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard (the no-AF version, not the $89 version).

augustus21 Jul 29, 2013 9:23 am

The exchange rate is set by Visa and is the same for all cards. Generally, it's a fair rate.

10sjoec Jul 30, 2013 12:35 am

Originally Posted by jmdeng (Post 21174811)
And for both the Explorer card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred (another no foreign transaction fee card), there's no annual fee for the first year, so one could/would just cancel after one year and reapply, all while keeping the old Plus card untouched with the long credit history. BTW, if the old card is still used, it might be beneficial to send Chase a Secure Message when the annual fee pops up and say that you aren't happy with the annual fee and that you're wondering if they could offset it somehow for being a long time customer. They might pleasantly surprise.

That's a good suggestion, apply and use the card for the first year (without annual fee). You are right that the card company has some discretion to reduce the annual fee or give some incentives. Last year, I called AMEX and said I wanted to cancel my AMEX Gold card and the agent gave me 7500 reward points.

eknock007 Jul 30, 2013 11:04 am

Originally Posted by 10sjoec (Post 21174673)
I only wanted one United credit card, and don't want to pay the fees on cards I don't use. I mainly my AMEX but I keep the United card for credit history reason since I had it the longest. I keep very few credit cards and regularly use only two of them (AMEX and United).

Keep the United Visa Select. Its earning potential is so much better than the Explorer. Its only one of two cards I pay the AF fee on.

PainCorp Jul 30, 2013 12:28 pm

I just wish we could downgrade or convert to this card.

10sjoec Jul 31, 2013 12:54 am

Originally Posted by eknock007 (Post 21183460)
Keep the United Visa Select. Its earning potential is so much better than the Explorer. Its only one of two cards I pay the AF fee on.

The earning potential of the United Visa Select was mentioned a few times by forum members. I might have missed something. Are you referring to the 5000 EQM and the 3 miles per dollar spend on United?

If those are the main earning difference for the select vs. the explorer, then they are not as important for me. I am lifetime Premier Gold. My business air travels are charged on the corporate AMEX card with no reward of any kind. The most I spend on United are paying the taxes on award tickets and buying a meal and a drink on domestic flights.

Joe

PainCorp Jul 31, 2013 9:27 am

Originally Posted by 10sjoec (Post 21187912)
The earning potential of the United Visa Select was mentioned a few times by forum members. I might have missed something. Are you referring to the 5000 EQM and the 3 miles per dollar spend on United?

If those are the main earning difference for the select vs. the explorer, then they are not as important for me. I am lifetime Premier Gold. My business air travels are charged on the corporate AMEX card with no reward of any kind. The most I spend on United are paying the taxes on award tickets and buying a meal and a drink on domestic flights.

Joe

The 2x on dining and gas is a big one that you missed.