Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:27 pm

Master discussion thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
How about a trip to Asia or somewhere international? You can get Singapore Suite to Asia using the points in your accounts. You can also get to Europe.

Redeeming UR points for Cash is just barely better than trading it for a toaster...
??? How is cashing out 60k points for $600 barely better than a toaster??
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by dovergator
I'm in the midst of a massive In Depth Guide related to Chase Ultimate Rewards on my blog (see link below). I would never take a statement credit for these points! They're far too valuable!

At a minimum I would consider transferring those points to Hyatt and burning them at hotels. You can squeeze up to $.03/point out of Hyatt points.

You can definitely get more value redeeming your points for a business/first class flight. Look at Singapore Airlines or potentially a transfer to British Airways.

In a Hyatt post I have coming up I was able to squeeze out over $.50/point in value by using points with Hyatt for upgrades.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

What if you have no ability to travel during the next 12 months due to lack of vacation? Then you start to run into annual fees.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by yukon50
??? How is cashing out 60k points for $600 barely better than a toaster??
In terms of value of those points, trading it for products in the UR mall is the worst deal (toaster). Cashing it in at 1 cent per point is better, but if you had gotten a card with 2% cash back! you would have gotten back more money. So trading it on at 1 cent is better than a toaster, but you still effectively left money at the table.

Exchanging the miles to a partner program is the way to get the most bang for the buck.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:19 pm

Yeah that is my concern is if i dont have any travel plan in the next 12 months (less than).

I'm not sure if there is any chase card that provides premier ultimate reward benefit (like transferring miles/points) with a low annual fee. Just thinking ahead if i dont cash these out.

Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
In terms of value of those points, trading it for products in the UR mall is the worst deal (toaster). Cashing it in at 1 cent per point is better, but if you had gotten a card with 2% cash back! you would have gotten back more money. So trading it on at 1 cent is better than a toaster, but you still effectively left money at the table.

Exchanging the miles to a partner program is the way to get the most bang for the buck.
Exactly. Since I will put 1x spend (non-bonus) on some of my UR cards, I never redeem for less than 2 cpp, otherwise I should be putting my non-bonus spend on a 2% cash back card. Simple math.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by joogle
Yeah that is my concern is if i dont have any travel plan in the next 12 months (less than).

I'm not sure if there is any chase card that provides premier ultimate reward benefit (like transferring miles/points) with a low annual fee. Just thinking ahead if i dont cash these out.

Thanks

Do you have a SO? If so, have your SO apply for a CSP, then transfer your UR points over before you cancel. Now you don't have to pay an AF, and keep building on your UR stash.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:38 am

What is an SO and CSP?

Thanks

Do you have a SO? If so, have your SO apply for a CSP, then transfer your UR points over before you cancel. Now you don't have to pay an AF, and keep building on your UR stash.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
The wife redeemed over 110k and deposited the money into her Chase checking, where she subsequently made a $1100 deposit into our young daughter's 529 college fund. I did the same about 2 years ago with about 180K points. It's not what the points are worth today or next month but what they will be worth 15 years from now. Now if we could only do the same with some of our excess hotel and airline points/miles.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:51 am

What is an SO and CSP?

Thanks
Significant Other and Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:10 am

What if you have no ability to travel during the next 12 months due to lack of vacation? Then you start to run into annual fees.

See wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...de-cancel.html

What is an SO and CSP?
Significant other; Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:53 pm

Then I would transfer your points to one of the partners and cancel the card! Simple as that!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
[Consolidated] Best ways to use my UR points

Okay, I've reached a critical point with my Ultimate Rewards points. I have nearly reached my 1 year anniversary with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card and now I need to cancel it this month to avoid the $95 annual fee which will get billed on September 1st. It seems as if there is zero chance to actually get a retention offer to keep the card. I have 48,000 UR pts and I am trying to decide which frequent flyer program I should move them to.

I've just started the credit card churning game. First it was Chase Sapphire preferred and now working on United Explorer card for 50,000 miles, which will be done this month as well (applied for that in May). This fall will likely be AAdvantage card for 50k miles and Delta Skymiles for 30k miles (seems to be the best offer I can find anywhere).

Basically right now I am torn whether I should move these UR points to United or transfer them to BA. Would be nice to have over 100k miles with United (currently 13k in my account), but Avios distance-based rewards could turn out to be beneficial for short-haul flights, since American Eagle flies out of my home airport once per day to Chicago. United does not. Delta, which seems to have the "worst" FF program, flies to Detroit twice daily. As for United, I would have to travel to fly on United with the nearest airport being 120 miles away. I live in a small town. What would you do in this situation? Thanks

Last edited by JamieDee78; Aug 5, 2014 at 9:03 pm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:53 pm

I would apply for a different chase card and then move the UR points to that card. Maybe a Ink bold or plus card.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Originally Posted by daw4888
I would apply for a different chase card and then move the UR points to that card. Maybe a Ink bold or plus card.
I would, but I don't own a business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.