Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated]

Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:51 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

It all depends on where you have points and where you need them. I stay at marriott and SPg for work so I transfer all UR to UA. Booked a round trip F to Osaka on OZ and out of NRt on ANA with MR miles. If I didn't have other point sources I would split between UA and Hyatt since both have excellent redemption based on destination.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Best use of UR for travel

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I have been a lurker for a bit. I have been reading up on soo many ways to use one's miles that I am getting an overload LOL!

I do need your assistance (even in directing me where to learn more) in using my Chase Preffered points. Before I found this place, I contacted Chase to book a reward flight for the family lat year. Now I realise that it was not the best use of my UR points. Now, I again have over 140,000 points. Based on my limited readings, it seems the best way to make use of the UR for air travel would be to convert them to UA or BA/AA reward points.
Is there somewhere that I can get caught up on what the exchange rate is for coverting these points? I know for BA its 1 to 1 but no idea on UA.
I am interested in maybe using it for UA (no UA points yet, but plan on it as it seems the best for long travel to india/asia and europe). I do have BA avios points (using them up on an upcoming trip). Thanks so much.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I have edited the thread title because transferring points to airline of hotel programs does not involve the Mall.

The transfer rate is 1:1 to all of the partner programs. Click 1:1 Points Transfer on this page:

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...rewards-travel
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Great! This is what I need. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yep, the transfer rate is 1:1 for all programs, and your best strategy is to find the award flights you want, (put them on hold if possible) then transfer the points to the appropriate program and book. Since transfers are instant for UA, and I believe they are for BA as well, no need to transfer miles ahead of time and possibly need them in the other program.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA
Best UR transfer partner for the UK? (Economy)

I'm having a problems finding UR transfer partners for flights to the UK. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic would seem to be the obvious choices, but their insane fuel surcharges are cost-prohibitive (a roundtrip ticket to London costs 40,000 UR points plus $750 in taxes and surcharges).

United is OK if you use the Saver fares, but they require 60,000 points plus over $200 in taxes and fees roundtrip to London. I can get a roundtrip flight in cash for around $1000, so I don't see how this is a great value, especially considering how limited their Saver availability is.

What I've heard people doing is transferring points to British Airways and booking Aer Lingus flights via British Airways (because apparently British Airways does not charge fuel surcharges on Aer Lingus flights), but Aer Lingus seems to only offer award flights to Ireland (Dublin), not the UK?

Anyone have any advice?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:37 am
mia

You would purchase a ticket from DUB to LON. You could do this with money, or you could do it with BA Avois. It looks as if the BA redemption would require 4,500 Avois plus $27.50 one-way.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:42 pm

Chase UR Newb Question

Searched the forum quite a bit but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.
Signed up for a Chase Freedom and already converted my 25k points into a statement credit (may be regretting this). In addition to my Freedom I have the Sapphire like many of you with ~60k points in it and not sure what to do with it. It looks like transferring to United is the most popular option, looks like sometimes the miles can be worth as much as 5 cents? My question is if I don't plan on using either card any more what is the best way to spend the 60k points. I am located in Michigan where Delta is the main carrier. If I were to transfer them to UA can you purchase a trip with half points / half cash or is that losing the benefit of the points? Looks like a first class HNL trip would be about 80k, so I think my best interest to accumulate those points then take a trip? Would love to hear any suggestions!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:23 am
mia

Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk. I have appended your question the established thread on this topic. Reviewing the earlier posts may help you clarify your thinking. Why do you intend to close your card account?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:18 pm

Best Utilization for Chase Ultimate Reward Points?

Hi - I have like 70,000 and 60,000 points in separate accounts.

Was wondering what is best utilization for these? I was tempted to withdraw the 70,000 for statement credit but am wondering if I should save them for later.

Basically, I know many programs (hotels and airlines) have devalued their points, so not sure if its worth transferring to them.

Would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
United, BA Avios (for AA/AS short haul redemptions in the U.S.), and Hyatt are the most popular. You can get some good value with Korean Air and Amtrak too.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:18 am

Thanks, I'll check it out, otherwise redeem half for cash.

With so many devaluation in the hotel/airline rewards, I would hate to just lose out when i have no immediate travel planned.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by joogle
Thanks, I'll check it out, otherwise redeem half for cash.

With so many devaluation in the hotel/airline rewards, I would hate to just lose out when i have no immediate travel planned.
How about a trip to Asia or somewhere international? You can get Singapore Suite to Asia using the points in your accounts. You can also get to Europe.

Redeeming UR points for Cash is just barely better than trading it for a toaster...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:17 pm

Even if programs have devalued their points, there are still plenty that will get you better than the 1cpp you would get as a statement credit. Did you have any goals in mind when you signed up for the cards? Certain places to go, etc?

As someone else mentioned above, United and Hyatt would probably be my choices of where to transfer the points, but this only makes sense if you want to travel.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:35 pm

I'm in the midst of a massive In Depth Guide related to Chase Ultimate Rewards on my blog (see link below). I would never take a statement credit for these points! They're far too valuable!

At a minimum I would consider transferring those points to Hyatt and burning them at hotels. You can squeeze up to $.03/point out of Hyatt points.

You can definitely get more value redeeming your points for a business/first class flight. Look at Singapore Airlines or potentially a transfer to British Airways.

In a Hyatt post I have coming up I was able to squeeze out over $.50/point in value by using points with Hyatt for upgrades.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.