What if Chase UR devalues?

Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tavinder Hare
... Ultimately Chase is paying the airlines for the reward redemption/miles, and the airlines feel pretty happy with that business..
True, but there is certain to be internal competition at Chase between the Ultimate Rewards program manager and the managers responsible for each of the co-branded affinity cards. If UR is seen to be cannibalizing co-branded card accounts the managers of those cards will press for changes, perhaps to improve their products, but perhaps also to hobble UR.

Remember, United did not join UR until the merger with CO was in an advanced stage, and Fairmont has not joined.

Originally Posted by augustus21
UR value will decrease if United gets around to making their award program less valuable.
Agreed, and I think UA will not hesitate to make adjustments to niche features, such as partner redemptions, even if they are reluctant to change the high profile charts for UA-operated flights.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, and I think UA will not hesitate to make adjustments to niche features, such as partner redemptions, even if they are reluctant to change the high profile charts for UA-operated flights.
Or if Star Alliance partners make it more difficult to use UA miles on their metal, like Lufthansa has done with its first class product. The ability to transfer to UA is, for me, a key feature. I'd likely move to another product if UA (or its partners) tinkered with anything.

Until then, I'll be enjoying Lufthansa/Thai business & first class

Originally Posted by mia
True, but there is certain to be internal competition at Chase between the Ultimate Rewards program manager and the managers responsible for each of the co-branded affinity cards. If UR is seen to be cannibalizing co-branded card accounts the managers of those cards will press for changes, perhaps to improve their products, but perhaps also to hobble UR.
I don't doubt that competition exists amongst product managers in Chase's credit card division, but Gordon Smith has gone on the record stating that as long as spend is going on a Chase card at the expense of a competitor, cannibalization of other Chase credit cards is fine:

Presented as tailored to customer need, Gordon Smith CEO of Chase’s card division noted on an August 17th interview “If we cannibalize ourselves and move customers from one product to another, but we capture more of their business, then we’re absolutely fine with that.”

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Avis
I say use them or lose them... Been happily redeeming T.Y., U.R. and W.P. for a pretty good return. Travel back and forth on weekends to visit my partner almost every weekend one of us traveling, these programs have made this a possibility for us.

The return I've experienced since January is the average of all the programs together redeeming for 37 segments, $4,615.77 worth of flights/hotels using 354,153 worth of all point redemptions added together. (Cost of these points I estimate at $854.00 ~$122 per 50,000 points) Now I am booking seriously far out in order to use rather then lose my T.Y. points so the cost of the flights have been rather high, but I say use em up! Get the best value now, bank what you have left and use them quickly.

United has been kind to me - an 11 minute schedule change and I can alter a reservation's routing, dates times fee free... valuable award flight redemptions by tacking on extra segments etc etc etc!

For those points I don't use in U.R. I hang on to with that option to push via transfer partners or buy 20% off flights or more specifically towards hotels as necessary and use T.Y. towards all flights as I soon as I earn the points.

Ultimately I have really liked Chase, they issued a 10,000 U.R. retention offer for Ink + a 15,000 Mileage offer for the United Club card (and for some reason also the $100 statement credit) - based on a flight I recently booked, this 15,000 retention was worth $366 - so that nearly covered the cost of my annual fee... And the 10,000 U.R. which I transferred to United was worth $245 way more then the $95 annual fee...

Last edited by djc205; Jul 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.