Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Travel REFUND questions and experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase has an online form to use for cancellations. Login to your Chase account and click the link below:

https://travel.chase.com/customersupport/travel-alert-refunds

More info here (need to be logged in first):

https://travel.chase.com/service/#/articles/932/61/25635

Direct Cancellation line: 1(888)511-5326
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Folks - Delta has offered to provide me a full refund due to some extenuating circumstances (not due to the virus) and stated the credit will go back to the agency which in this case is Chase UR/Expedia. Do things usually flow smoothly at the chase end and I'll simply see the UR points credited back?

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam007
Folks - Delta has offered to provide me a full refund due to some extenuating circumstances (not due to the virus) and stated the credit will go back to the agency which in this case is Chase UR/Expedia. Do things usually flow smoothly at the chase end and I'll simply see the UR points credited back?

Thanks
There are refund cases reported in the Booking sticky in the past. You may want to search that thread for DPs.

It is NOT an automatic process. You would need to contact UR and inform them the booking is refunded by Delta. It takes weeks and multiple follow ups to get things sorted out based what are reported in the past.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Refund of a booking made with UR points (from a CSR) - after card has been downgraded

Hi,

Just before my CSR annual fee came due, I cleared out my UR account using points for a British Airways flight, paying a small difference in cash.

Subsequent to making this booking, I downgraded my CSR to a CSP, to avail of the lower annual fee.

Now, due to fast-evolving travel restrictions, it seems at least possible (indeed, likely) that my trip will be cancelled, and British Airways will refund my ticket to me. Had this been a simple cash booking, it would be straightforward. However, since I mostly "paid" for the booking with UR points (at the preferential CSR rate of 1.5 cents per point) - what sort of a refund should I expect to receive from Chase for the points portion of my ticket? The same number of points I paid? A statement credit for the full "cash" value of the ticket?

How does this work in circumstances like mine?

Thanks for any insights...
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
Hi,

Just before my CSR annual fee came due, I cleared out my UR account using points for a British Airways flight, paying a small difference in cash.

Subsequent to making this booking, I downgraded my CSR to a CSP, to avail of the lower annual fee.

Now, due to fast-evolving travel restrictions, it seems at least possible (indeed, likely) that my trip will be cancelled, and British Airways will refund my ticket to me. Had this been a simple cash booking, it would be straightforward. However, since I mostly "paid" for the booking with UR points (at the preferential CSR rate of 1.5 cents per point) - what sort of a refund should I expect to receive from Chase for the points portion of my ticket? The same number of points I paid? A statement credit for the full "cash" value of the ticket?

How does this work in circumstances like mine?

Thanks for any insights...
You should eventually expect exactly what you paid: X UR points + Y cash.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by pallhedge
You should eventually expect exactly what you paid: X UR points + Y cash.
And what if, at that point, my UR account is cancelled altogether? Say, if I just cancel the CSP card, and no longer have any UR account to credit to? Would I then just get a statement credit (to the closed account) for the full refunded ticket value?

[It's a $2500 ticket (about 160k UR points + $100 cash) so, the loss in UR points value at the CSR vs CSP rate is considerable, roughly 40,000 in loss due to this fiasco. Would very much like to retain this value if I can...]
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
And what if, at that point, my UR account is cancelled altogether? Say, if I just cancel the CSP card, and no longer have any UR account to credit to? Would I then just get a statement credit (to the closed account) for the full refunded ticket value?

[It's a $2500 ticket (about 160k UR points + $100 cash) so, the loss in UR points value at the CSR vs CSP rate is considerable, roughly 40,000 in loss due to this fiasco. Would very much like to retain this value if I can...]
I'm not sure how that would play out, but you can simply upgrade back to CSR to retain the full value of your points.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:18 pm

Airline refunded Chase Ultimate Reward account- will I see this refund?

So I booked an international flight for 1700. I redeemed 100,0000 in pts from my reserve and paid the remaining 200 on my reserve card through the Chase Ultimate rewards portal.

American Airlines has a free change waiver for my flight due to corona. This flight has now dropped to 1200 bucks. When I logged into AA through my booking ID , I rebooked the same flight and was due a 500 dollar refund

AA said they have refunded the credit card used for original payment. Since I booked this through Ultimate rewards, they used their credit card for the purchase (different account than my personal card)

My question is - How can I get this refund transferred to my personal card? Also since I booked originally with pts and cash will I be refunded 200 (cash that I originally paid) + 45,0000 pts (remaining 300x1.5) or will they just transfer the 500 credit directly to me? Will i have any issue receiving this refund from chase per their terms? Thank you
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I'm in similar position. I purchased 2 tickets through the chase ultimate reward portal and paid about 109,000 points for 2 round trip tickets. I used points for the taxes, trip, etc. The trip has not been cancelled yet but if I cancel, Chase told me that I would get a credit with American Airlines to use within a year for the $ amount that the ticket was worth (like $683 per person). After I booked my flights, I went to my AA account and upgraded the seats to exit row, etc. I was able to book those with my Hilton Aspire, then I got credit for the seats with my airline connected to that card. I asked the chase rep if I would get refunded for the seats, etc. He said that I would have to call American Airlines. By the way, these tickets are now 30,000 points round trip now. I wanted to cancel and rebook with my AA miles. I would still have to pay the taxes, etc but it would be a better deal. I wanted to get the UR points back in my account but Chase said that it wouldn't happen like that. I would get a credit with the airlines.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Carter29072
I wanted to get the UR points back in my account but Chase said that it wouldn't happen like that. I would get a credit with the airlines.
It sounds as if you booked a non-refundable fare. Typically they can be changed for a fee, and the residual value is held by the airline. If AA is waiving the change fee that doesn't mean the ticket is refundable.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:43 pm

Is there a wiki or any intel on Corona related cancellations, refunds, UR redeposits, Chase accommodations, etc.? Quickly scanned the first couple pages and saw nothing.

A few months ago we purchased a couple AA D flights to Italy for May that was paid for with 500K UR. Now with the full country quarantine I need to figure out what my options are.

I suspect I'm screwed.

Last edited by MannyCPA; Mar 9, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
Yes, it is not a refundable fare but they told me that AA would issue two vouchers to be used within a year for $683 each. I asked them if I book a $300 per person ticket, what I would get. He told me another credit from the airline. He was so hard to understand. I didn't make any decision yet but would be curious if I would get the same answer if I HUCA this week.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:26 pm

Refund

My refund was already processed and transmitted from AA back to chase for the amount of 500 dollars. Since I booked through chase , it’s their account that the refund originally goes back to. Hopefully chase will somehow pass this credit to me. Surely they wouldn’t just keep the money. Canceling is different than change. I think if you cancel then you get a future credit with the airline. If you simply are changing (free of charge) and the new fare is lower , you get a cash refund of the difference in fare. If you booked before March 1st your fare difference would have to eclipse the cost of the change fee because it’s not waived if booked before then.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Carter29072
Yes, it is not a refundable fare but they told me that AA would issue two vouchers to be used within a year for $683 each. I asked them if I book a $300 per person ticket, what I would get. He told me another credit from the airline..
This is all standard. The Vouchers must be used by the same passenger(s), but the route can be different.

Originally Posted by xugator
.... Hopefully chase will somehow pass this credit to me.
The refund will go to Expedia, which operates the Chase travel portal. Don't hope, contact them and explain that you are expecting a refund.
xugator likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:34 pm

How long have people's wait times been to speak with a representative? Online portal redirects me to call to cancel. This afternoon I was on for 1 hour 45 min and then the line got disconnected. The hold music even turned off around 40 minutes.
QuoVadi likes this.

Last edited by giceh; Mar 10, 2020 at 12:06 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by giceh
Has long have people's wait times been to speak with a representative? Online portal redirects me to call to cancel. This afternoon I was on for 1 hour 45 min and then the line got disconnected. The hold music even turned off around 40 minutes.
same here. Spent over an hour and a half also on hold and then the call just disconnected
QuoVadi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.