Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:10 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Oh, that makes sense. Yes, like I have a balance of 60,000 or so, and that could turn into a roundtrip intl ticket worth >$1000 versus $600 cash or $750 in redeemed travel through Chase. Sounds like there is not any obviously better option than airline/hotel points then.

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:44 am

I have Freedom & Ink - thinking of canceling Ink and moving all points to Freedom. If/when I need to transfer down the road any issues with turning Freedom into CSP? Wasn't sure if the new rules would impact this.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by nic3456
If/when I need to transfer down the road any issues with turning Freedom into CSP?
i think that might be challenging. banks let you 'down' grade much easier. they might end up telling you have to reapply for the CSP.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: United Silver
Keep it - I still firmly believe this is the BEST all-around card out there right now. Plus I love it when I hand it to people and they mention something about its weight.

Plus you have to be careful about Chases card policy if you ever want to get it again.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by odin99
i think that might be challenging. banks let you 'down' grade much easier. they might end up telling you have to reapply for the CSP.
According to this (Yes,I hate myself for linking here) it's very possible to upgrade from Freedom to CSP.

Although I agree Chase could change their mind at any time. So I am nervous about doing so.

On the other hand, I have Ink as my primary, so I think I'll be downgrading to Freedom and risk it if they won't waive AF. I don't use the CSP enough to justify the AF.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
You can call the number on the back of your freedom and see what card it can exchange to. Presumably all Chase UR cards have some exchange options. One of my Freedoms has CSP & Slate as exchange options.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG
I'm reading through the language of the CSP benefits guide and I see that trucks and vehicles with open cargo beds are not covered. Has anyone rented a 4x4 truck in Africa(Namibia, South Africa) or one these trucks with a CAP over the cargo bed.

http://www.camping-carhire.com/index...rd-rental-cars

Technically with the cap, it's not open anymore.

I think the the language is written to prohibit the coverage of U-hauls, and those hourly flat bed rentals you see at home depot and Lowes.

I would love to see what your insights are on this.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I moved a number of posts from this thread this morning that were discussing the best use of UR points. This thread is for discussion on keeping, downgrading or canceling the CSP. Best use discussion posts belong here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
I found out that with a BOA Travel Rewards card I can get a 75% bonus on all points earned every month over the 1.5 they give for every dollar spent because of Preferred Rewards and my linking of my Merrill Lynch accounts. Thats 2.625 on every dollar spent making this card a much better value than the CSP.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: Spire Amb IHG, HH Gold, TR Diamond, Mlife Plat, National Exec, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by discocoaster
I found out that with a BOA Travel Rewards card I can get a 75% bonus on all points earned every month over the 1.5 they give for every dollar spent because of Preferred Rewards and my linking of my Merrill Lynch accounts. Thats 2.625 on every dollar spent making this card a much better value than the CSP.
That is subjective. I value UR points higher than BOA Travel Points because of transfer partners. So 2x points on dinning could be worth 4% return on each dollar spent for me.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
I would agree with you but with the loss of Amtrak Guest Rewards in December as an UR transfer option (AGR was the only transfer I used) in my case the BOA travel rewards card is a better option (it has no fee) . I just don't know which Chase card to go to in May before I have to pay the annual fee. They said I could go to a standard Sapphire but I was thinking of the Amazon Rewards Visa since I do a lot of online shopping and the 3% would eclipse BOA's 2.625% Any thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Called in and rep said I can only downgrade to regular Sapphire.

Wanted to downgrade to Freedom to be able to apply for CSP again after 2 years. (Heard that you can't do that if you downgraded to regular Sapphire). I already transferred all points to my Chase Ink Plus account (Which I will keep open).

Any suggestions? Not sure if I should get regular Sapphire or just cancel the card (Credit score: 730, 17 open cards)

Last edited by sikorloa; Dec 23, 2015 at 11:05 am
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I'm on a CSP with a $125 annual fee. Chase has refused to adjust the annual fee to $95, as on the current card, nor will they make any offer not to cancel. They say I can close the card and re-apply if I want the lower annual fee.

Seems ridiculous to me, especially since re-applying will give me the first year annual fee free and another signup bonus. Obviously there's a very real chance they'd reject my application, but I don't see how that's good for Chase. They lose my $95, and my spend will shift to another bank.

Anyway, just venting a bit. Really don't understand why no one at Chase can just give me a $30 credit.

(FICO of 785, never carry a balance, but only spend about $10k/year on the card).
Old Dec 24, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
I'm on a CSP with a $125 annual fee. Chase has refused to adjust the annual fee to $95, as on the current card, nor will they make any offer not to cancel. They say I can close the card and re-apply if I want the lower annual fee.

Seems ridiculous to me, especially since re-applying will give me the first year annual fee free and another signup bonus. Obviously there's a very real chance they'd reject my application, but I don't see how that's good for Chase. They lose my $95, and my spend will shift to another bank.

Anyway, just venting a bit. Really don't understand why no one at Chase can just give me a $30 credit.

(FICO of 785, never carry a balance, but only spend about $10k/year on the card).
No one understands Chase. I got turned down for the CSP in 11/2015. I had 6 inquiries in 24 months. 2 were from Sears (should have been 1) on 12/2013 and 1 other from 10/2013 but it didn't post on TU until 11/2013. They were rude on the phone when I checked on the refusal! Turned out to be a wasted hard pull that Chase will hold against me, there 5/24 rule.
2 days ago I got an offer in the mail for the CSP and I have until 2/2016 to take advantage of it lol.
As everyone will say forget the Fico mine is over 820 on TU. They don't care if you don't meet there rules to the T.
I didn't realize the 10/2013 inquiry posted on TU the next month (it was a new checking account from a CU with a credit card attached which I had forgot about) and Sears did two hard inquiries on same day for same card? My fault on not checking. It just shows Chase is messed up.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Dec 24, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
No one understands Chase.
Words to live by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.