Chase fraudulent charges

Subscribe
Add me to the list of those hit. Last Spring someone hit my BA card -- strange "match.com" charges that went through and were quickly followed up by reversals (without my prompting). Got a new BA card with new number issued. A couple months ago, my BA card (with new number) got hit with some random charges at a steakhouse in Texas for a few hundred bucks; I caught it, reported it, and got yet another card/number. Just a few weeks ago, I got an alert from Chase that my Ink Bold had a series of declined charges -- they were also fraudulent and I had a new card issued.
Quote: Yes. It doesn't matter the amount. If it got past their fraud monitors then it is standard for companies to issue a new card #..same with most account compromises...
My AA Citi card was used fraudulently in Mexico a couple of months ago, after 2 months of inactivity and a history of purchases that screamed college kid lifestyle (I am what I am ). The phone rep commented that reissuing the account wasn't necessary. Besides almost yelling "are you nuts?," I had it reissued .
chase sapphire
In the last year my Chase Sapphire card has been replaced three times due to fraud.

I'm not sure what's going on with Sapphire. It seems that the problem is specific to Sapphire. I have several other chase credit cards...and we have experienced anything like we have with Sapphire.

Rest assure...you are not the only one.
Quote: In the last year my Chase Sapphire card has been replaced three times due to fraud.

I'm not sure what's going on with Sapphire. It seems that the problem is specific to Sapphire. I have several other chase credit cards...and we have experienced anything like we have with Sapphire.

Rest assure...you are not the only one.
Same here- my Sapphire card replaced 3 times and Hyatt card once. Not sure why its so easy to compromise chase cards.
Quote: I've had 3 BofA cards compromised in the last 18 months. After the second replacement, I grabbed the replacement card from my locked mailbox, called from my wired landline to activate it, then secured it in my gun safe which only I have access to, and I live alone. Six months later, compromised again.

The possible culprits for it would be that it happened on BofA's end, USPS opened my mail, or my dog figured out how to get to my guns...which could end poorly for me. Hold on, I'd better go feed my dog.
woof woof!

(That T-bone from Ruth's Chris looks pretty good)
RFID tag?
I got unauthorized charges on my Sapphire card that has been sitting in a drawer for almost 5 months. Chase fraud department identified these charges right away since they were out of state and notified me. I decided to close the card since I was planning on doing it anyway. It has never happened to me with any other cards I had over years.

Does anyone know if Sapphire card has embedded passive RFID tag that would allow thieves to use RFID scanners to steal credit card info?
I don't believe they have a RFID tag. I had fraud charges on my Chase Hyatt card when I had it in my possession and hadn't used it for months, I closed that account when they mentioned it.

Maybe it's Chase related, some database could be compromised which would explain why people's unactivated cards are already compromised before they even get them. Or maybe the card manufacturer has someone writing the numbers down and taking them home with them!
I got a notice from Chase last week saying my debit card may have been compromised and was therefore being replaced.
It seems to have been something on their end since I never use it for purchases, only at Chase ATMs when making deposits, and I've noticed no fraudulent charges on my account.
If you use your card enough, at some point, a data breach at one of the merchants is bound to happen. It happens with alarming frequency.
Quote: woof woof!

(That T-bone from Ruth's Chris looks pretty good)
Next time get the New York Sirloin. Worth all $45 ^
Chase just called me about some suspicious charges as well, which were indeed fraudulent. They will be closing the number associated with my CSP account and issuing a new card and number. Of all my chase cards, I've probably been using my CSP the least in the past two months, so it did seem a bit odd.

Also, has anyone had problems with UR points from the old card showing up the newly issued card? Just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't be a problem.
Quote: Chase just called me about some suspicious charges as well, which were indeed fraudulent. They will be closing the number associated with my CSP account and issuing a new card and number. Of all my chase cards, I've probably been using my CSP the least in the past two months, so it did seem a bit odd.

Also, has anyone had problems with UR points from the old card showing up the newly issued card? Just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't be a problem.
They won't be closing your account. They'll just generate a new number, so your entire history will stay intact and your points untouched.
Quote: They won't be closing your account. They'll just generate a new number, so your entire history will stay intact and your points untouched.
Thanks for the response jatink ^. Indeed the new account has shown up online today with a new number and all UR points intact!
Or, it could be the fact that because the CSP earns on travel expenses, you are most likely to bring that out everywhere you go therefore exposing it outside more often than the other cards. Or the no foreign transaction fees, you take it outside the country and poof, stolen. Or even in the U.S, some cashier handles your card, sees that it is made of metal, and automatically assume that you are some high roller and steal your number. Many things going for the CSP that would make it easy to be compromised.
To the comment about Chase being vulnerable, I think it's not that chase is vulnerable, but chase is so great at CCs that everybody uses them, therefore just off of probability those will be compromised the most.
Quote: Or, it could be the fact that because the CSP earns on travel expenses, you are most likely to bring that out everywhere you go therefore exposing it outside more often than the other cards. Or the no foreign transaction fees, you take it outside the country and poof, stolen. Or even in the U.S, some cashier handles your card, sees that it is made of metal, and automatically assume that you are some high roller and steal your number. Many things going for the CSP that would make it easy to be compromised.
To the comment about Chase being vulnerable, I think it's not that chase is vulnerable, but chase is so great at CCs that everybody uses them, therefore just off of probability those will be compromised the most.
Having your information compromised has nothing to do with Chase and everything to do with the security of the businesses at which you shop.