Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by gster78
This is what I did when I recently bought my MacBook Air. Went to Staples and bought Visa gift cards. Then went to Apple Store and converted those Visa GCs into an Apple gift card. Then went to Apple.com via Chase UR mall, and bought with gift card. The latter is YMMV but you're at least guaranteed the 5x from the Staples GC purchase.
Id rather have the free 1 year warranty purchasing it directly with AMEX.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:47 am

I wish staples was already selling the iPads. My wife wants one for her birthday next week.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:40 pm

If you are using your credit card to double up on the warranty:

Macbook Pro:

JR's 3 points per dollar UR
$1,159

MacMall 2.8% cashback at BC's, no tax free shipping
$1,099

Macmall has a 3% off coupon, APPINSDRMWB37994, but I do not know if it applies to all merch. It shows up on evreward.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Centurion
Not to hijack the thread
How is that not hijacking the thread?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Two threads discussing the purchase of Apple products have been combined.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by tonyflyer
I bought a macbook recently (via an online reseller, didn't get many points/miles but saved almost 10% sales tax), I put the full amount on Amex plat for the best extended warranty, but I'm not sure I will keep the plat card as long as I keep the macbook due to plat's high annual fee. Do I need to keep the cc in order to use Amex extended warranty?
I was told by an AMEX CSR that as long as I had an active AMEX card than the warranty would still be in place even if the AMEX that was used to purchase the product was closed.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Azzurri17
I was told by an AMEX CSR that as long as I had an active AMEX card than the warranty would still be in place even if the AMEX that was used to purchase the product was closed.
Just from personal experience, when I've had to make a claim I've always been paid via a credit statement. I don't believe I've ever gotten a check in the mail, so you might want to check the T&C's.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Originally Posted by gster78
This is what I did when I recently bought my MacBook Air. Went to Staples and bought Visa gift cards. Then went to Apple Store and converted those Visa GCs into an Apple gift card. Then went to Apple.com via Chase UR mall, and bought with gift card. The latter is YMMV but you're at least guaranteed the 5x from the Staples GC purchase.
I could have sworn I saw Apple gift cards (not itunes) in Staples a few days back and today when I went there, there were none.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:30 pm

Need to buy an iPhone 5 urgently - best way to maximimze the spend

I need to buy an iPhone 5 by this weekend - costs around $650 for my wife as a gift. I am not sure what is the best way to buy this and maximize miles.

I am thinking of going for 3 different staples $200 gift card - each from a different physical store - which gives me $15 off each card (if that is allowed) and gives me 600 X 5 = 3000 UR points.

I can go into an apple store and use three visa gift cards to purchase - is that correct?

Any other creative ways?

I also have Freedom card and HHonors card - both giving additional points for drugstores spend
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:46 pm
umc

Originally Posted by floyd777
I need to buy an iPhone 5 by this weekend - costs around $650 for my wife as a gift. I am not sure what is the best way to buy this and maximize miles.

I am thinking of going for 3 different staples $200 gift card - each from a different physical store - which gives me $15 off each card (if that is allowed) and gives me 600 X 5 = 3000 UR points.

I can go into an apple store and use three visa gift cards to purchase - is that correct?

Any other creative ways?

I also have Freedom card and HHonors card - both giving additional points for drugstores spend
You know that you need to use 3 different addresses for the $15 rebate from Staples right? You can buy all from the same store, but you'are only eligible for 1 rebate per household/address. Do you have one of the Ink cards? Have you looked at any shopping portal that gives you 2x-10x at apple?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by umc
You know that you need to use 3 different addresses for the $15 rebate from Staples right? You can buy all from the same store, but you'are only eligible for 1 rebate per household/address. Do you have one of the Ink cards? Have you looked at any shopping portal that gives you 2x-10x at apple?
No good deals on the shopping portal 1X to 3X at the most I am guessing - plus I need to pick it up by latest sunday so I can't want for them to send it online to me (unless I order online and pick it up in store).

I didn't know I need three different addresses.

I have two ink cards - ink plus and ink bold (but will prefer using ink plus because I have to meet their $5000 spend for getting the bonus points).

If there are no other creative ideas - I will just go for the gift card from staples.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by floyd777
No good deals on the shopping portal 1X to 3X at the most I am guessing - plus I need to pick it up by latest sunday so I can't want for them to send it online to me (unless I order online and pick it up in store).

I didn't know I need three different addresses.

I have two ink cards - ink plus and ink bold (but will prefer using ink plus because I have to meet their $5000 spend for getting the bonus points).

If there are no other creative ideas - I will just go for the gift card from staples.

Another question I had - did Staples stop carrying Apple Gift cards? How about Office Depot or Office Max?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:09 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Centurion
It is kind of amazing and also kind of depressing realizing why the USA economy is done as we know it.
It's sadly true. Check out how much less efficient they were when they made macs in the good ol' USA. There's a vid here.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:01 pm

Finally I purchased 2 iphone5 from apple.com via mrrebates.com who says 1% back.. will have to wait and see after 90 days
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: SW, UA, UR
I almost didn't click on this thread, but lots of good info. Glad i did. Love ft!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.