Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Last year on Black Friday Chase had a special for Apple purchases through the Ultimate Rewards mall of 10x...
That's exactly what I would like to do this Friday. I have a brand new Ink Plus that needs some spending, so if there's a 10x deal for Apple gear thru the UR Mall, that would be perfect.

(FWIW, in my many years owning and using Apple hardware, I've found it all extremely reliable, and any sort of extended warrantee is of little value - especially so for something like an iPad, whose only moving parts are the hardware buttons - so I'll take UR points over the extra protection that buying with Amex provides.)

Can anyone who remembers last (or previous) years Black Friday/UR Mall offers tell me....did they announce it in advance (and if so, how far in advance), or was it a last minute thing - wake up Friday morning and it's on? Any other tips for this? I'm gonna buy the gear in the next week or so, figure I might as well leverage the points and help meet spend on my new Ink (or other new card - have a new City Visa and Amex, too).

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:23 am

You can use Amex on chase ur mall purchases and still get 10x while getting Amex protection. SPF is capped at lower amount than plat, so be careful in choosing correct card.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by leftpinky
You can use Amex on chase ur mall purchases and still get 10x while getting Amex protection. SPF is capped at lower amount than plat, so be careful in choosing correct card.
If you are a Verizon wireless customer and you qualify, you could defer the cost of your iPad over 12 monthly installments on your wireless bill. This is a great deal if you qualify since you'll only end up paying $30 of interest. Not bad at all
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp
Best Buy is in the 5x UR bonus category for Chase Freedom this quarter. They sell iPads.
Was it Black Friday or Cyber Monday that had Chase 10x for Apple?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Last year I purchased a Bose soundlink speaker on 12/3 from Apple.com and took advantage of the 10 points/$ spend. I think that translates to Black Friday.

***Note, this year I read in UR Mall that Apple.com "details" shows that Bose products are not eligible for the extra points.***
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No luck this morning. Just checked my Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire Preferred Ultimate Rewards Malls and both have Apple and Best Buy at 1point/$.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:20 am

On a related note, does anyone know how to get miles/points/cash for ordering from the Mac App Store?

Just to be clear, this isn't the Apple Store, and it isn't the iTunes store (same account as iTunes, but different products available).

Anyone have a hint? I can't find it in any online malls at airlines/Chase, but I do see that they have an affiliate program, so there must be something somewhere.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
On a related note, does anyone know how to get miles/points/cash for ordering from the Mac App Store?

Just to be clear, this isn't the Apple Store, and it isn't the iTunes store (same account as iTunes, but different products available).

Anyone have a hint? I can't find it in any online malls at airlines/Chase, but I do see that they have an affiliate program, so there must be something somewhere.
Click through with the iTunes link, and then open the Mac App Store. I've had a 100% percent success rate on being awarded ultimate rewards points this way.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:02 am

Not sure about malls but you can buy iTunes gc with chase ink at office stores for 5x. Works with iTunes and App stores.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by maccoinnich
Click through with the iTunes link, and then open the Mac App Store. I've had a 100% percent success rate on being awarded ultimate rewards points this way.
Just open the Mac App Store from the Applications folder? Or from within iTunes somehow?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sargenet
I made a decision to ignore bonuses when it comes to expensive electronics and only use my am ex due to extended warranty. It paid off big time the other day. My HP laptop bit the dust 2 days after the warranty ended. Thank goodness I bought it on my Starwood am ex. After filing the claim they couldn't fix it so they gave me my full purchase price back! Within days I had an $800 credit on my card.
+1. It's the best feature common to all AMEXs. And Apple is great about providing claim-friendly receipts, estimates, etc. ^
Old Dec 2, 2012, 6:14 pm

Just open the Mac App Store from the Applications folder? Or from within iTunes somehow?
The former. There's no link in iTunes, no indication anywhere that this will work, but it does. The backend systems for the Mac App store must be connected with those for iTunes.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:32 pm

Well, sure, but...

...you do realize that Visa (all Signature cards, plus some non-signature ones, including the one I have through my credit union) offers the same extended warranty? As does MasterCard?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by FredFnord
...you do realize that Visa (all Signature cards, plus some non-signature ones, including the one I have through my credit union) offers the same extended warranty? As does MasterCard?
While true, have you tried to exercise this ever? I've done a few both ways, and Amex makes it MUCH easier.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FredFnord
IME, Visa extends the *original* warranty by a single year but this does not back up any purchased extended warranty. A standard 1-year warranty becomes 2 years.

This is a big different with computers where a purchased 3-year extended warranty becomes 4 years with AMEX.

I've been told this a few times by Visa CSRs, but happy if they (and me) have it wrong....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.