Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Buying Apple and getting points [includes hardware and iTunes]

Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by pointsaway
If you're not big on United Miles, Discover has 5% cash back and Ultimate Rewards nets you an extra 1x point, at least.
But if I'm correct, I cannot risk using a non-Chase CC card (Amex-extended-warranty) ?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Another question:

Is there a difference in warranties between an Amex AAdvantage CC issued by Citi and a regular Amex issued credit card ?
They both claim extended warranties for my purchase, but I was wondering which one has the better service in case of a claim ?

TIA!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Education rate + United portal + AMEX (warranty) with Apple Care

My UA miles posted in 2 weeks.
Exactly what I did but no Apple Care. Got the Chase UR points without any issues.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Another question:

Is there a difference in warranties between an Amex AAdvantage CC issued by Citi and a regular Amex issued credit card ?
They both claim extended warranties for my purchase, but I was wondering which one has the better service in case of a claim ?

TIA!
General consensus is go with the true Amex card. Significantly better customer service than Citi, Chase, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:37 am

Apple purchase

So I wonder if I were to split the transaction up...pay with 3 or 4 different AMEX's for the $25 statement credit if the AMEX warranty would still be in effect? Also, what if I were to purchase with partial best buy gift cards, and just a bit on an AMEX? Does the full amount of an item have to be purchased with an AMEX to be covered by warranty?

My kid has been saving for a MacBook for about 3 months. Works really hard in fast food, so I want to get the very best deal I can to save him money.

Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Another question:

TIA!
AMEX issued card, from the reports Ive seen and personal experience.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by mistressjaime
So I wonder if I were to split the transaction up...pay with 3 or 4 different AMEX's for the $25 statement credit if the AMEX warranty would still be in effect?
Probably not.

Also, what if I were to purchase with partial best buy gift cards, and just a bit on an AMEX?
No.

Does the full amount of an item have to be purchased with an AMEX to be covered by warranty?
Yes.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Altoid
Best deal is Upromise.com 5% off apple. It's not points but I think I'd rather save the money. Or you can try and buy the product from a authorized re-seller site that doesn't charge any sales tax would be even better.

Apple tends not to give a very big discount anywhere, they do run promos for points here and there though like you said.
They have a discount for students called Apple Education Pricing (~15% discount) and they don't check if you're currently enrolled.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:02 am

Anyone know how to activate the Apple Education Pricing discount? The site just offers a $100 gift card towards apps but no discount.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
Anyone know how to activate the Apple Education Pricing discount? The site just offers a $100 gift card towards apps but no discount.
Click on the education link (bottom left) on apple.com after going through the UA shopping portal for 1x miles. Valid for orders through 9/6. GC automatically is added to your cart.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:08 pm

For itunes and not apple... Office depot has $50 gift cards for 20 percent off...! Combine with a ink card...
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:41 pm

For anyone that picked up a Macbook during the education sale and got a $100 Mac Store card, has anyone figured out how to monetize it?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
For anyone that picked up a Macbook during the education sale and got a $100 Mac Store card, has anyone figured out how to monetize it?
It's an App Store gift card.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Click on the education link (bottom left) on apple.com after going through the UA shopping portal for 1x miles. Valid for orders through 9/6. GC automatically is added to your cart.
I think you might be better off using MacMall. They do not charge tax or shipping for most states. The end price without tax is typically better than the Apple store w/ education discount.

Check http://evreward.com for the best portal deal.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
My paypal account will offer 70% of its value

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.