Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom eliminates Exclusives (10+10) even for those grandfathered in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I read several days ago that on Nov 1 Chase will be changing its Exclusives program for Freedom card, e.g. 10 points bonus will be going away. However, those with Freedom card before Nov 1 will be grandfathered in. [I'm a bit shaky on details]

I don't have Chase Freedom nor Chase checking at the moment. Should I open Chase checking account first and then apply for Chase Freedom?

Thanks ^
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Probably doesn't matter which one you open first as long as you ask them to link the two together. I have the Freedom card for a while and although it does earn some points, you are probably better off using other alternatives like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold. They have a higher signup bonus and points earned. For the Freedom card, you have rotating categories with a limit on the amount you can get back. The other two cards have limits also but at a much higher rate.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by gk17
Probably doesn't matter which one you open first as long as you ask them to link the two together. I have the Freedom card for a while and although it does earn some points, you are probably better off using other alternatives like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold. They have a higher signup bonus and points earned. For the Freedom card, you have rotating categories with a limit on the amount you can get back. The other two cards have limits also but at a much higher rate.
We have all four - CSP, Ink Bold and the new Plus, just added Freedom, checking account (latter with $200 sign-up bonus). Plan to keep the Plus for biz, cancel the Bold, eventually cancel the CSP as well (after the 7% dividend at the end of the first year), use the Freedom.

Both SCP and Ink waive the first year fee, have some good intro offers if you can meet the min spend.

Why? There is no annual fee for the Freedom, there is a 10% bonus when tied to a checking account, quarterly bonus, points can be transferred to UR by maintaining EITHER a CSP or Ink.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:39 pm

honestly the chase freedom exclusives program isn't that fantastic a deal unless you put a LOT of spend on the card. if you swipe your card 20/month and put an average $1K spend a month on your freedom card you'll get ~300 extra pts a month or 3600/year. not bad for spend you'd put otherwise on your freedom card but not great considering their bonus is currently at like an all time low (no guarantee it'll ever go back up tho ). if you still want to be grandfathered in the easiest way may be to go to a branch and open a checking acct. they'll try to get you to sign up for a cc at the same time so i would think you could do everything at once? good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:44 pm

Chase Freedom Changes Rewards Program

Did anyone else get a letter from Chase saying they are eliminating the 10 Bonus Points on each purchase reward with use of the Freedom + Chase checking? Also they are not giving the 10% extra points at the time of purchase but giving it at the end of the year similar to the Chase Sapphire Card.

They claim they are "simplifying" their reward program!... which is a ton of BS.

Just wanting to know if this is a change for all customers or directed just at me.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...sf03fbe03.jpeg

Last edited by DALKOR13; Feb 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
I doubt you're being singled out, although I haven't gotten any mail.

And I doubt they'll do it like the Sapphire but... I didn't get a letter.
Although I would be interested in learning how to get 10% instead of 5%.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travelisfree
I doubt you're being singled out, although I haven't gotten any mail.

And I doubt they'll do it like the Sapphire but... I didn't get a letter.
Although I would be interested in learning how to get 10% instead of 5%.
The 10% and 5% are separate things. Everyone knows about the 5% rotating categories.

However, those in Chase Exclusives currently get 10 points per transaction and an extra 10% on base points.

So a $10 charge on a 1x item would net 21 points. A $1 charge would give 10.1 points

If you spend $10 on a 5x item, it's 61 points.

It's how I average ~8 points per dollar some quarters.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:43 pm

I hope not. Probably close my checking account if that's the case
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Did the letter indicate when the change would take effect? I too haven't received such a letter.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by c3troop
I hope not. Probably close my checking account if that's the case
Likewise, especially when I'm earning 2800 TY points/mo from my two Citi checking accounts.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Another report from another thread as well

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20260235-post22.html
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:34 pm

I have been a Freedom cardholder for three years now and their letter said this change in the "10 & 10" program will be effective March 31st.

I've been a Chase checking client for 13 years too.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:46 pm

Also have not gotten a letter. I know they stopped offering the Exclusives program to new members in late 2012, but hadn't heard of this for existing members. Really hope it's not true.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:55 pm

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but does the letter give a date when this is supposed to start?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:09 pm

so chase checking customers will still get 10% dividend on freedom base points at the end of the year? if not then there really is no reason to bank with chase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.