Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire v. MileagePlus Explorer

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by uncflyer16
UA Explorer has 2miles/$ on UA spend (and a 10k bonus at $25k spend). The only other real benefit I see for 1k iis the primary rental car insurance (and the two lounge passes)
The UA Card also carries a higher level of benefits than the Sapphire Preferred.

e.g.the UA Card comes with Roadside Assistance, with up to $50 coverage, up to 4 times / year.

With the SP, they can arrange assistance but all cost is your responsibility.

For Purchase Protection ( theft / accidental damages, first 90 days ),
the UA Card covers up to $10,000.

The SP covers up to $500.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:08 am

@ragnarok

Good points. I forgot about those. I think there also may ba bit more in terms of trip delay nd baggage delay insurance as well?
Old May 23, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
It will also depend on whether you pay for your travel on the card and how you book that travel. SP has 3pts/$ if you book through UR website and you get a 7% bonus at end of year. Given that UR transfers to UA 1:1, you can actually earn more redeemable miles on UA (the 10K bonus will change the calculation if you spend the 25K).
Old May 24, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Something else to consider:

if you take international trips, UA card has foreign transaction fee of 3% where as Saphire Preferred does not
Old May 25, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, UA Premier Gold; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hertz PC
Also - as a 1k Chase wikl give you a $60 credit towards the $95 annual fee on the United card.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Something else to consider:

if you take international trips, UA card has foreign transaction fee of 3% where as Saphire Preferred does not
The Explorer doesn't have the FOREX waiver, but the MP Club does have the FOREX waiver on it...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:28 am

chase - explorer and sapphire preferred

I applied with chase for the two cards and now i am waiting for review?!
I called and i guess thier lending department opens during the week.

i am done with my first app o rama and those are the only ones pended. I applied for the SPG card and US air card and i wanted those two chase ones initially. do ya'll think this would effect my credit? i wanted to get all of them at the same time but those two pended.

Thanks!

Last edited by jordandawg05; Nov 10, 2012 at 9:01 am
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:02 am

Of course they're pending. They are 2 personal cards from the same bank (Chase).
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
This is why I usually do this on a weekday so I have a chance to call in. Your credit scores will drop (a few points usually for each inquiry) regardless. The main reason for applying same day is so they don't see inquiries. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to report this but I guess if you call up immediately (for those pending), it won't be reflected yet in your credit report.

Do you have other cards with Chase and have you applied for them recently? They usually approve the first card (if you qualify) and you have to call in for the second card. Give them a legitimate reason and they should approve your apps. If you have a lot of cards with them already, you might want to request moving some of your credit around if they can't increase your credit any more.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 1:00 pm

You will likely need to split up your credit over all Chase cards.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by gk17
This is why I usually do this on a weekday so I have a chance to call in. Your credit scores will drop (a few points usually for each inquiry) regardless. The main reason for applying same day is so they don't see inquiries. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to report this but I guess if you call up immediately (for those pending), it won't be reflected yet in your credit report.
Hard pulls are in real time. You can easily verify this by applying for card then checking credit report 5 minutes later.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by gk17

Do you have other cards with Chase and have you applied for them recently? They usually approve the first card (if you qualify) and you have to call in for the second card. Give them a legitimate reason and they should approve your apps. If you have a lot of cards with them already, you might want to request moving some of your credit around if they can't increase your credit any more.
no i don't have any other cards with chase , these are my first.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by PresskittJon
Of course they're pending. They are 2 personal cards from the same bank (Chase).
why did my first one get pended ? i never had a chase card with them and i have good credit (790)...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
why did my first one get pended ? i never had a chase card with them and i have good credit (790)...
The computer just kicked it out for manual review. Could be system maintenance to address verification. Call on Monday and see what they have to say.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
The computer just kicked it out for manual review. Could be system maintenance to address verification. Call on Monday and see what they have to say.
Thanks i know i would have the card, no reason not too ..i just didn't want to get dingedon it for the 'manual 'review.

i am just anxious to get spending and get the points hahah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.