Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

How have you redeemed Chase Ultimate Rewards points?

View Poll Results: How have you redeemed Chase Ultimate Rewards points?
Transfer to British Airways Executive Club
14.10%
Transfer to Korean Air SKYPASS
1.92%
Transfer to Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
13.46%
Transfer to United Airlines MileagePlus
68.27%
Transfer to Amtrak Guest Rewards
5.13%
Transfer to Hyatt Gold Passport
31.09%
Transfer to IHG Priority Club Rewards
1.92%
Transfer to Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Rewards
3.85%
Redeemed points for airfare, lodging or car rental through ultimaterewards.com
16.67%
Redeemed points for giftcards or merchandise.
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

How have you redeemed Chase Ultimate Rewards points?

Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:24 pm

I got in on the black Friday sale a couple of years ago, they had newly partnered with BestBuy and gave a 25% discount on points needed for redemption. At the same time BestBuy cut online prices 20-25% these combined for true bargain redemptions...most of the time merch redemptions are too expensive to be a good use of points, but that sale got me a 60" 3D Samsung tv, 4 pair of active glasses, a 3D Bluray player with wifi, a PS3 with motion controllers, and 3 or 4 games all for about 100k points...was hoping it would happen again, but they learned their lesson.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I've used miles to purchase airfare and cars rentals. Car rentals were very good, in most cases about 33% better than any other rate I could find. Haven't tried on Hotels yet, have plenty of IHG and Marriot points.
I don't fly UA so that's out. Only AA,AS and if I have to DL.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by wise2u
I got in on the black Friday sale a couple of years ago, they had newly partnered with BestBuy and gave a 25% discount on points needed for redemption. At the same time BestBuy cut online prices 20-25% these combined for true bargain redemptions...most of the time merch redemptions are too expensive to be a good use of points, but that sale got me a 60" 3D Samsung tv, 4 pair of active glasses, a 3D Bluray player with wifi, a PS3 with motion controllers, and 3 or 4 games all for about 100k points...was hoping it would happen again, but they learned their lesson.
Still a very bad value IMHO. The 20-25% off BF sale would have still applied if you used cash/cc, so that savings is irrelevent. You simple got a 25% discount on points used, so you got $1250(cash price) worth of merchandise for 100k UR points, which is $.0125/point....horrible value for UR points.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by skibum7732
Still a very bad value IMHO. The 20-25% off BF sale would have still applied if you used cash/cc, so that savings is irrelevent. You simple got a 25% discount on points used, so you got $1250(cash price) worth of merchandise for 100k UR points, which is $.0125/point....horrible value for UR points.
Actually your math is off - he got $1333 worth of merchandise for 100K points. Just saying .., still not a great deal but he is happy.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:11 pm

nope

Originally Posted by drminn
Actually your math is off - he got $1333 worth of merchandise for 100K points. Just saying .., still not a great deal but he is happy.
Nah, the price on just the tv after BB discount was $1200 on their site. This was through UR's site and they had just added BB as a partner. It was a definite mistake that the point requirements were so low. sorry I don't have the exact numbers for all the items. Item prices varied, so much that some people were returning items for store credit, like the $150 3D Bluray that was about 5k points.
I do still have the receipt for the TV. I paid 57481 points for Samsung PN59D6500 59-Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3D Plasma HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL] and it is on amazon right now for $1500.

All in all I think the value of the stuff just after the sale was about $2500+ total, so to me .025 pp was a great merch redemption.
Since then I have acquired 200K more in UR and they just sit in my account doing nothing. I have plenty of UA and BA, so I may have to get the hyatt card and use them there for a better value.
And yeah, I am very happy with the entertainment setup. To me it holds more value over the years, than the memory of a first class flight or hotel stay.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
The highest value redemption now is Singapore Suites for sure. But with them being transfer partners with TYP, SPG and MR, I'd rather use my UR for Hyatt, after the United deval last year. UR are the only way u can get Hyatt points without actual stays. You can still get United points through their CC. Since the Hyatt card gives night credits instead of points, again, UR is the only way to get Hyatt points. Anywhere. And since The best Hyatt properties cost the least of any chain, they're the best deal for hotel points anywhere. Even lower category Hyatts get good value. Next week I'm staying at the Hyatt place LGA. Over $400 a night, but only 12K hyatt points. 3.5 cpp value.

Southwest has a fixed value for their points under 2 cpp. BA has terrible YQ, and on short hauls I'd rather transfer in my Canadian MR, which is the best value north of the 49th. Korean is...complicated. So for me it's Hyatt.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:50 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Since the Hyatt card gives night credits instead of points, again, UR is the only way to get Hyatt points. .
If you are referring only to the new account bonus this is correct, but the Hyatt card does earn points for spending.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:29 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by Preacher7
The highest value redemption now is Singapore Suites for sure. But with them being transfer partners with TYP, SPG and MR, I'd rather use my UR for Hyatt, after the United deval last year. UR are the only way u can get Hyatt points without actual stays. You can still get United points through their CC. Since the Hyatt card gives night credits instead of points, again, UR is the only way to get Hyatt points. Anywhere. And since The best Hyatt properties cost the least of any chain, they're the best deal for hotel points anywhere. Even lower category Hyatts get good value. Next week I'm staying at the Hyatt place LGA. Over $400 a night, but only 12K hyatt points. 3.5 cpp value.

Southwest has a fixed value for their points under 2 cpp. BA has terrible YQ, and on short hauls I'd rather transfer in my Canadian MR, which is the best value north of the 49th. Korean is...complicated. So for me it's Hyatt.
The Hyatt Place at LGA for "over $400 a night"? This property is a Hyatt Place that is worth no more than approx. $150/night. Although you are using points, the dollar value is grossly inflated.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Transferred 40,000 UR points to Hyatt for 2 nights at the Andaz Amsterdam. Rate for each night is around 600 Euros / 775 USD a night. Very, very happy.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by GB
The Hyatt Place at LGA for "over $400 a night"? This property is a Hyatt Place that is worth no more than approx. $150/night. Although you are using points, the dollar value is grossly inflated.
Well, it is going for over $400 next Tuesday when I'm staying there. That's NYC for you!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you are referring only to the new account bonus this is correct, but the Hyatt card does earn points for spending.
Yes, of course you're right. I was referring to the sign up bonus. Plus, the Ink cards are the way to go when earning Hyatt points with the 5X bonus ongoing bonus.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:24 pm

Yeah, I checked again. $484.30 taxes included for next Tuesday, at the Hyatt Place LGA. Lowest room rate available. Must be the nicest Hyatt Place ever! But only 12K points, or 12 Staples GCs with an Ink!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.